Alty 2-2 R&D (Reeves 8, Williams 89)/(Howe 15, O'Connor 73)

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
coolcuts

Re: Alty 2-2 R&D (Reeves 8, Williams 89)/(Howe 15, O'Connor 73)

Post by coolcuts »

Goal!! Nicky Clee hits a very good left footed shot to the lower left corner from the right wing (aprox. 18 yards) and scores!! The game is now tied at 2

Tight angel to score from, would dale have saved that?
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

I think it's fair to say we can rule ourselves out of the title race now, 11 points!
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

coolcuts wrote:Goal!! Nicky Clee hits a very good left footed shot to the lower left corner from the right wing (aprox. 18 yards) and scores!! The game is now tied at 2

Tight angel to score from, would dale have saved that?

I think you mean ANGLE and who knows whether or not Dale would have saved it? We'll never know cos he wasn't playing! Looking at the match statistics we had the majority of possession and had plenty of chances so you could argue that Smith would have scored one of the missed chances.....it's disappointing but it's not the end of the world, bring on Darlo on Tuesday!
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

It's a disappointing result on the day, but overall 4 points from our last 2 away games is ok. I'm also pleased we seem to have a settled team now, it might just improve given a few more games together.
AFC R & D member number 34
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Yes agree 2ofD. 4 points from 6 away is good and the players settling with each other as a team is positive.
For anyone at the game today - what formation did we play..?
DiamondsR4ever

Post by DiamondsR4ever »

Its Still Early in the season, the team is clearly starting to gel and performances are improving.

we have had some injuries to key players which has put us at a disadvantage as last year the squad stayed generally injury free, with injuries picked up in positions we could cover with players like corcoran etc.

The important thing is we are not loosing games atm and if this doesn't change then we will be up around the top group come the end of the season
R.I.P Dale Roberts, Never Forgotten.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Dukes wrote:Yes agree 2ofD. 4 points from 6 away is good and the players settling with each other as a team is positive.
4-3-3 again.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

davealbon wrote:
Dukes wrote:Yes agree 2ofD. 4 points from 6 away is good and the players settling with each other as a team is positive.
4-3-3 again.
Thanks DA.
Continue to be not sure about this but changing personnel and the number of forwards we have will influence the selection/formation. Still believe 4-4-2 is the answer at our level.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Dukes wrote:
davealbon wrote:
4-3-3 again.
Thanks DA.
Continue to be not sure about this but changing personnel and the number of forwards we have will influence the selection/formation. Still believe 4-4-2 is the answer at our level.
The thing is the second part of last season was built on 4-3-3. Based upon that, JE continuing with that this year makes sense. However I will grant you that this team is different in terms of personnel, so it could prove later on in the season to be better suited to 4-4-2. With the team still gelling, especially due to injuries earlier in the season, but it isn't clear at this stage.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

I'm still undecided on the formation, but I think I'm leaning more towards 4-3-3. The main reason for changing to a 4-3-3 last season was to get the best out of Tommo, but with his departure and our dodgy start using 4-3-3 I think Edinburgh was right to change back to a 4-4-2. After a couple of really good performances after the change we then had a couple of really bad performances, mainly due to the fact that we don't have a right midfielder - MJ is too slow for the wing and Charles looked lost there.
Part of the reason we struggled with 4-3-3 to start with was that we didn't have a big target man in the middle of the front three. Howe is big and strong, but that isn't his game. Now we have Tim Sills though, I think that 4-3-3 is probably the way to go, as Sills is the perfect target man. That said, if we could find a decent right midfielder, I would love to see us play 4-4-2 with Green on the left, and two proper wingers supplying crosses for Sills to get on the end of.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297