This season's attendances !!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

This season's attendances !!

Post by Pigman »

They're holding up pretty well all things considered.

I know you can't compare last season "like for like" as we've played different teams, but in the first 6 home games of last season our average was 1459 - the first 6 of this season? 1271, a drop of 188 per game, but we did play Cambridge and Mansfield in the first 6 games last season boosting the figure, the only "larger" clubs we've played this year are Grimsby and Wimbledon, so I think they've held up quite well.

With Luton, Cambridge, Darlington, Mansfield and "the scum" (sic) all to come we should hold our season's average quite well.

The unknowns are how much of an impact the Government's spending cuts will have on people's jobs and disposable incomes as the season progresses, there are hard times ahead for us all, but as things stand, I think they're holding up quite well............they'd be +4 if it weren't for stupid pricing, but I won't mention that ;) :lol:
Last edited by Pigman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Dukes

Re: This season's attendances !!

Post by Dukes »

Erm...yes..........
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/Di ... ttendance/

I think we've been a bit unfortunate with the bigger clubs coming to us mid-week, rather than on a Saturday. The team needs to put a good run together and we need the Christmas period to be good weather.
AFC R & D member number 34
Pete
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Pete »

PigmanRDFC wrote: With Luton, Cambridge, Darlington, Mansfield and the scum (sic)...
Sic usually means that "quoted material has been reproduced faithfully from the source, noting that irregularities are not the result of transcription errors".

I'm not sure therefore why it is necessary here unless it's a grammar joke implying that KTFC are by definition irregular. That said, you're not quoting anything, so I don't think it can be correct.

If we were to use sic correctly on this site it would be seen all over the place in quotes!
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

Errrm okay :?

I've corrected it for you so you can get some sleep :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

An interesting debate going on amongst the fans of our next opponent about attendences in general:

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8052
coltrane

Post by coltrane »

Certainly anyone working in the public sector will be on very dodgy ground financially when these government spending cuts come into force, and those working in the private sector can't possibly hope for an easy ride. Either way when disposable income is hit the club can expect to feel a knock on effect, so I hope that KC can bear the strain? :o
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

The point about football becoming less popular hit a chord with me. I do think that football goes through ups and downs in this country and possibly due to saturation coverage from Sky and the crap England performance in South Africa people have just become a bit bored of football. I know I've not being getting as excited about going to Diamonds games as I was a few seasons ago.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Sara Pascoe wrote:The point about football becoming less popular hit a chord with me. I do think that football goes through ups and downs in this country and possibly due to saturation coverage from Sky and the crap England performance in South Africa people have just become a bit bored of football. I know I've not being getting as excited about going to Diamonds games as I was a few seasons ago.
It certainly is a fair point. In a perverse kind of way, I'm more up to going to watch a match live than I have been in years. In addition, I'm finding watching football on TV increasingly boring now.

That's a minority view, and I don't believe I have the right to judge anyone who is growing bored with football.

I believe that having it on TV so much has changed people's perceptions of football. It has become another thing to watch on box, rather than a weekly event to go to. That's why we see our streets full of Premier League shirts rather than the shirts of our local sides.

It also does not help that it is cheaper to shell out on a Sky subscription than to follow a particular team, but that is something which we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with (Let's keep the situation regarding the PDB out of this discussion for the moment).

My view on how to change the trend? Get the fans young, get them hooked, combine it with decent fooball and it will grow in the long term. Currently our club allow under 8s to go free and under 16s to get into the ground of £6. Ideally, if anyone knows anyone with young kids that are showing an interest in football, suggest that they come down. Seating and standing arguments shouldn't come into it since generally people with young kids go for seating first.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I completely agree about the perceptions of football on the telly, it's a fact that it's made it affordable (compared to a day out at the footy) that keeps people at home. By the same token, we're on the telly in a couple of weeks and it costs a family of four just over the cost of an under 16 to get in at NP. So why pay £46 when you can pay £7 ? I also agree that it's not about standing or sitting, it's about affordability in these times. I see no attempt from the club to pull in a fiver here and a fiver there from the unemployed / those on benefits.
AFC R & D member number 34