To anyone who went to Barrow on Saturday

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

To anyone who went to Barrow on Saturday

Post by Mad Dog »

Any of you want to report on what the match was like? It was interesting what you guys said about the Bath game when compared to the radio, so I'd really appreciate hearing your views again. :)
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: To anyone who went to Barrow on Saturday

Post by davealbon »

Mad Dog wrote:Any of you want to report on what the match was like? It was interesting what you guys said about the Bath game when compared to the radio, so I'd really appreciate hearing your views again. :)
We dominated for the first hour, but failed to trouble their 'keeper despite getting in numerous good positions. Howe worked hard and caused them a lot of problems, but had two really good chances and failed to hit the target with either (although his effort that hit the bar was a little unlucky). Charles' work rate was superb again, but he didn't make any impact in and around the box, choosing to drift out wide far too often, although he probably wouldn't have done if Green would actually stay on the bloody wing! Green was good in possession of the ball, but never really took anyone on and kept drifting inside. Johnson is not a wide midfielder, he played quite well on the whole but there were times when he made the wrong decision or held onto the ball too long. Porter was very good (MotM IMO), and was pulling out some Tomlinesque skills at times, and Power looked solid alongside him, distributing the ball really well as he has done in every game so far. Robinson was probably the pick of the defence, although Stuart did reasonably well until his sending off, which looked the correct call from the other end of the pitch. Osano continued to prove that he is definitely not a centre back, and got lucky on a few occasions before the first goal, getting caught out of position and generally looking clumsy. Corky was dire right from the start, with almost every pass being hoofed straight to one of the Barrow players, positionally he was all over the place and he picked up a booking for a very poorly timed challenge. And poor ol' Dale has done nothing wrong all season, his kicking and handling has been good, but he's faced about half a dozen shots on target and most of them have been unstoppable.

After their first goal everyone's heads seemed to drop and it was almost as if we were already resigned to losing the game. We kept working hard but we just looked short of belief and confidence. What's really worrying is that with the exception of Jason Walker (who is a class act) Barrow were utterly hopeless, even worse than they were when we beat them 6-1 and 4-1 last season, yet we still failed to test their 'keeper. It's not all doom and gloom, and there were certainly some positives from the first hour of the game, but we've got a lot of improving to do in and around both boxes if we are to start climbing the table.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
dracos3

Post by dracos3 »

My main concern after the game was we don't look like scoring goals from free play and we didn't trouble their keeper.

Howe - had moments of brilliance but also moments of not bothering - if the ball didnt land directly at his feet then he didn't seem to want to chase after it at times. He did hit the crossbar and posts but there was no real effort or desire shown, He was better in the second half but gave off the vibe of 'i can't be bothered' at times

Osano - lucky to not be sent off in the first half as their number 9 was causing him lots of problems (their best player by miles!) and he reacted with rash stupid tackles. In the second half Osano was much more settled and dealt with him better but still not a centre back.

Dale - did make some really good saves and couldn't do anything about the goals. He was also the brunt of many 'Terry related' chants from the Barrow fans. He also got smacked into the concrete wall in the first half by Barrow after ensuring the ball went out for a goal kick and did well not to retaliate.

Stuart - the tackle warranted a red card - no arguements from me. Before that he played well but the number 9 who caused most of the problems was on Osano not Stuart.

Power - had some nice touches when playing. We were better with Power playing compared to when Spence was brought on for him.

Johnson - didn't really do alot to create anything

Charles - added a bit of pace upfront and worked hard but didn't cause them any real problems in the box.

Green - was willing to chase balls right up to the line to win them and his free kicks and corners were well placed and only a few feet off of the goal. Needs to stay out on the wing more so we can utilise the width of the pitch.

the officials - not sure who realised after 20mins thattheir keeper was wearing yellow socks and shorts and made him change - the rest of us noticed after about 20 seconds!!
Last edited by dracos3 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

I think one of the problems in attack was if we had the ball up front, it seemed to be left to the strikers, there was little support from midfield, no surging runs, no attempt to draw defenders away from danger men or anything, the wide men not really attacking very well IMO, so Howe mostly, but sometimes Charles as well could easily have two or three defenders on them with very few options, and certainly no easy ones.

I am wondering if it is a tactical problem in terms of attacking and we are really missing Stone to be honest.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Jemfy wrote: I am wondering if it is a tactical problem in terms of attacking and we are really missing Stone to be honest.
Of course we're not, don't be daft. We didn't get smashed by 7 goals to nil did we? We've lost the core of our midfield in the summer and for me I'd have kept Patto to give us an out-and-out right winger. It's taking time to get right, to get players fit and the losses are a bad habit, but it'll turn. I notice that Izale McLeod is without a club now that Southend have released him, perhaps we should make a call to his agent? Also let's have a look at Hammond. Didn't both have a great season for MK a couple of years back?
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/Ne ... 40,00.html
AFC R & D member number 34
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

Two of Diamonds wrote:
Jemfy wrote: I am wondering if it is a tactical problem in terms of attacking and we are really missing Stone to be honest.
Of course we're not, don't be daft. We didn't get smashed by 7 goals to nil did we? We've lost the core of our midfield in the summer and for me I'd have kept Patto to give us an out-and-out right winger. It's taking time to get right, to get players fit and the losses are a bad habit, but it'll turn. I notice that Izale McLeod is without a club now that Southend have released him, perhaps we should make a call to his agent? Also let's have a look at Hammond. Didn't both have a great season for MK a couple of years back?
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/Ne ... 40,00.html
We looked tactically naive going forwards though, and with a defender as manager we might be missing a bit for attacking tactics.

Also see above, Barrow, Walker aside, were shit. Theres no two ways about it. Barrow fans said things such as "good luck, if you lost to us you're going to need it because we're shit".
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Dave also said we dominated for the first hour. Now if we'd been under the cosh all game I'd say we're in the shit. All we're missing is a little craft and a goalscorer, it doesn't seem a million miles away to me once we get all our strikers available again.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Cousins back :oops: , he aint a worldbeater but he's steady and we need that right now.
AFC R & D member number 34
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Would anyone take Akurang/Pattison/McNamara back if offered right now?
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
MEMAN53

Post by MEMAN53 »

I did not go to Barrow or Bath but from reports read and listened to on the PC there a few fundamental differences this season.

First game we let in a silly goal, mostly Osano's fault, but luckily we drew level in the final minute of extra time.

Second game, we dominated 1st half and conceded 2 goals to a weak side who have just been promoted to the conference.

Third game, we dominated 1st half and conceded 2 2nd half goals and had our captain and main motivator and defender sent off, and will miss 3 games, I believe. This against a team we trounced twice last season.

What has changed : Tomlin gone
Stone gone and replaced by Driver
Terry gone
Byrne gone
Downer gone.

Loss of Tomlin - loss of an impact player who had imagination and skill.
Loss of Stone replaced by Driver - potential loss of good tactician, motivator and trainer replaced by youth team coach who may not hold any of these strengths, particularly potentially fitness as there seems too many injuries for my liking ( possibly due players not being fully fit initially) and we seem to die in the 2nd half.
Loss of Terry - good mainstay in defensive midfield and someone who used the ball simply and well.
Loss of Byrne - loss of someone who broke out of defence quickly and joined the attack immediately. At present we are too slow out of defence into attack alowing the opposing side ample of time to recover to their defensive positions.
Downer - loss of a defender who was mostly switched on, all of the game, had pace and used the ball wisely through Terry out of Defence. I am afraid Curtis Osano has only one of these ( pace ).

It's going to be a tough year unless Justin can show that last year was no fluke and that he can build a team from very rough material. I sincerely hope and pray that he can.
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

MEMAN53 wrote:I did not go to Barrow or Bath but from reports read and listened to on the PC there a few fundamental differences this season.

First game we let in a silly goal, mostly Osano's fault, but luckily we drew level in the final minute of extra time.

Second game, we dominated 1st half and conceded 2 goals to a weak side who have just been promoted to the conference.

Third game, we dominated 1st half and conceded 2 2nd half goals and had our captain and main motivator and defender sent off, and will miss 3 games, I believe. This against a team we trounced twice last season.

What has changed : Tomlin gone
Stone gone and replaced by Driver
Terry gone
Byrne gone
Downer gone.

Loss of Tomlin - loss of an impact player who had imagination and skill.
Loss of Stone replaced by Driver - potential loss of good tactician, motivator and trainer replaced by youth team coach who may not hold any of these strengths, particularly potentially fitness as there seems too many injuries for my liking ( possibly due players not being fully fit initially) and we seem to die in the 2nd half.
Loss of Terry - good mainstay in defensive midfield and someone who used the ball simply and well.
Loss of Byrne - loss of someone who broke out of defence quickly and joined the attack immediately. At present we are too slow out of defence into attack alowing the opposing side ample of time to recover to their defensive positions.
Downer - loss of a defender who was mostly switched on, all of the game, had pace and used the ball wisely through Terry out of Defence. I am afraid Curtis Osano has only one of these ( pace ).

It's going to be a tough year unless Justin can show that last year was no fluke and that he can build a team from very rough material. I sincerely hope and pray that he can.
Excellent post. For me, Stoney will be the biggest loss.