[ Sat 8th Aug ] v Petersfield Town, KO 3pm SLD1C HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 8th Aug ] v Petersfield Town, KO 3pm SLD1C HOME

Post by Trek »

Given that Petersfield's home average last season was only 95 I don't think we can expect many away supporters so anything approaching 500 will be a decent crowd I think.
SwildAFCRD

Post by SwildAFCRD »

2-1 Diamonds in front of 478.

I'd go with:

Finlay,
Wilkinson, Dolman, Gordon, Ashton
Spriggs, Harris, Quigley, Kilbride,
Lorraine, Berwick

Herbert coming off the bench to grab the winner.

Cheering on the mighty whites from sunny Croatia! (sure the missus booked a holiday for the first week of the season on purpose)
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I'd like to see as many of last season's side as possible given a chance for the first few games, and for us to play in the same style as we were playing then, as we seem to have done a lot of tinkering during pre-season - and the first half against Loughborough suggested that Plan A might be a better option. I would thus only bring in cover for Bunts suspension (Quigley alongside Brad) and the absence of Gearing / Rogers on one flank (Spriggs or Kilbride). If things don't go to plan we'll have some good options on the bench.
rushden_jm

Post by rushden_jm »

3-1 diamonds infront of 565 fans. Lorraine Berwick and Bully the scorers. I'd go with;
Finners
Wilkinson Ashton Dolman Brown
Spriggs Harris Quiqley Kilbride
Lorraine Berwick
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

A word of caution. Don't get too optimistic about Saturdays match. We are up against a team with a remarkable league record over the past two seasons.

Only one away defeat in that time and they are currently on a 27 game unbeaten run, stretching back to last October.,
Rushdentom

Post by Rushdentom »

Gonna go for a 2-0 win (Spriggs, Lorraine), in front of 515.

Finlay
Wilkinson Dolman Ashton Brown
Spriggs Harris Quigley Kilbride
Lorraine Berwick

Subs: Butt, Gordon, ELJ, Herbert, Joseph
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

sussexdiamond wrote:A word of caution. Don't get too optimistic about Saturdays match. We are up against a team with a remarkable league record over the past two seasons.

Only one away defeat in that time and they are currently on a 27 game unbeaten run, stretching back to last October.,
Although only 2 days ago you posted that you EXPECT a 3-1 win. :roll:
FOOTYMAN
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

TheIncognitoKid wrote:
sussexdiamond wrote:A word of caution. Don't get too optimistic about Saturdays match. We are up against a team with a remarkable league record over the past two seasons.

With the step up, a case of the unknown and with the unbeaten run of the opposition, I am going for a 2 - 2 draw. A point to start the season and unbeaten after 1 match.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

TheIncognitoKid wrote:

Yes. I did, but I had not examined their record at that time and to be honest was quite surprised at what I discovered. However bearing in mind the UCL is quite a bit better than some leagues I am still optimistic....just a bit more cautious. in other words I am hedging my bet!
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Well it is a good point, any promoted team is a bit of an unknown entity at this point, it's difficult to know what Petersfield are going to be like, many teams coming up from step 5 do quite well, I still think we'll get off to a winning start, but I'm sure it won't be easy, assuming they've kept the main parts of their team from last season.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308