[ Sat 21st Mar ] v Wisbech Town, KO 3pm UCLP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: [ Sat 21st Mar ] v Wisbech Town, KO 3pm UCLP HOME

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

So glad we got the goal in the end, and that man Brad Harris popped up with another important goal. :D

Fair result I thought, but shameful tactics from Wisbech, and an equally inept set of officials, which made that goal in added time even more sweeter.

Great attendance of 930 as well.
Last edited by AFCRD_Dan on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Wow, just wow, I think that could have just been the greatest moment in our club's short history, utterly brilliant, the celebrations, players and fans alike were fantastic :D :D

And yeah, its that kind of moment that makes you think this is our year, its funny how similar to the Holbeach game it was, poor performance from us, never getting going til the 90th minute, our opposition looking a decent team and taking the lead and then resorting to shameful dirty, cheating tactics (they must have been talking to Drury and co) and then just when it looks all over, we pop up with a last second equaliser in the 98th minute (although I'd argue 8 minutes wasn't actually enough after the amount of stoppages in the second half) sparking delirious celebrations. That second half though has probably got to be one of the most excruciating halves of football I've ever seen though, for not only out performance but the constant stoppages and time-wasting by Wisbech and we never got going, losing Confue at halftime certainly didn't help either. But hey, the score is what matters and the advantage is firmly with us now and I wonder whether Wisbech will be able to bounce back from that late goal.

And yes, delighted with the 930 crowd :)
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Rushden123 wrote:Great result in terms of us getting out of this league but what a poor game, for a big game it was so flat. Has to be our year when we are picking up points and getting results playing like this.
My sentiments exactly.

In his interview Brad said the defender handballed, so would have been penalty and red card. Not sure how Matt Gearing would have felt about that!!
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

What a way to end the game, great goal at the end, deserved it, Wisbech are a cheating/diving team, and it serves them right at the end with the goal for there diving etc.

What a great goal at the end. Great attendance 930. :D
FOOTYMAN
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

What a load of crap that was. Poor performance, poor referee and linesmen, poor tactics by Wisbech. A totally over hyped dismal match. I was glad when Brad scored on 100 minutes, but, we didn't deserve a point the way we played, although Wisbech were no better.
Too many players went awol, and the changes were made too late to have any impact.
I thought the referee blew for handball on the line from Brads header, but saved himself a sending off and a penalty decision.
Ah well, we didn't lose. :|
dazSRJFC

Post by dazSRJFC »

I hope the old cliche of championship winning teams grind out results when they do n`t play well is true, because we did n`t play well. We gave the ball away far too much, and our passing was grim. Wisbech knew we`d send balls up to Dunks, but having said that, he won 90% of his aerial battles, but his strike partner was n`t on the same wavelength to capitalise. I was surprised when Dunks came off for Lorraine, when I would have preferred Berwick to have come off. I expected a tight game, and expected Wisbech to be a professional outfit, but they played anti-football after their goal. I`ve seldom seen so much gamesmanship, indeed they could have scored another in the time that they wasted and finished the game off, but no, and it came back to bite them on the arse. :D
930 is a great attendance, but how many of the "casual" supporters will be back after such a turgid affair?.
AFC R&D Member Number 443
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Also nice to have an away following for once, just a shame some of our fans couldn't handle their Apple juice.

Was very impressed with the Wisbeach fans at HT, cheering their players back into the changing rooms, class act.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

A classic case of "cheats never prosper"

I don't think we will have to wait too long before the sour grapes and whining start to emanate from the Fenlands.

The KO cup semi final next week promises to be an "interesting" affair.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

When they actually could be bothered to play football, just like Holbeach, Wisbech weren't a bad side at all, but just like Holbeach, their tactic was to get in front and then waste as much time and disrupt the game as much as possible, presumably because they were scared of our team, and it does feel so, so sweet that both team's tactics came back to bite them in the arse, they got what they deserved in the end 8-)
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
paulg

Post by paulg »

Fantastic attendance to boost the club's financial position further.

It amazes me how some teams sign quality players and then instruct them to stop playing football and 'strangle' the game. Unlike Holbeach who did it from kick-off, at least Wisbech played for an hour or so, but why they think a Mourinho-style negative approach will work at this level I'll never know. When their own bench chucked an extra ball on to the pitch they should have been fined on the spot.

8 mins injury time when technically it should have been 10-12. Wisbech only had themselves to blame. Great committment from the lads to keep battling until the end and snatch a point.