The Contenders !!!!!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: The Contenders !!!!!

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

I know we should only worry about our games BUT York play afc Dons on Saturday. Would do people think would be a good result for us? Personally i would like to see either a York win or draw, looking at both their remaining fixtures York seem to have the easier run in on paper.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Assuming we can get a point (or more) at Alty I think an AFCW win would be good. Stops York from advancing and keeps them in a battle with AFCW, who I still think will miss out. By the way I think everyone saying we will 'scrape' into 5th is wrong, personally I can see us coasting into 4th place while York and AFCW battle for the final place. If we can manage to beat Oxford on Wednesday I can see us going higher than 4th at the end of the season.

I'll probably say this again once the regular season's ended but I think we should all step back (at the present time and at the end) and realise that this season has been good whatever happens. If Oxford, Luton, Us and York get into the play-offs I'd fully expect either Luton or Oxford to win it. Obviously we'll all be gutted when we don't go up but I think we should keep in mind that it's only a 1 in 4 chance that we win the lottery of the play-offs.

That's why I'm thinking it's probably best if we sign up all of our out of contract players now so that we can really push on next season. Let's face it, apart from a wobbly bit in August and November/December we've been ****ing awesome. When Stevenage and Luton/Oxford go up I think we'll really challenge for the title, the two relegated sides will be nowhere, it remains to be seen what York are doing and I think AFCW will consolidate. Next season will be the season. :D
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

When you look at our performances so far against those sides around us I'd say we have nothing to fear from any of them to be honest:

Stevenage - we lost narrowly at their place, would have beaten them had we kept 11 men on the field I reckon - beat them at our place, okay you could say "just", but I thought the whole performance that day showed class.

Oxford - we were robbed by an incompetent referee and the fact Tomlin left his shooting boots at home, we could have been 3 up at half time. I'll be disappointed if we don't beat them next week as I don't think they're anything special, I really don't.

Luton - we beat them in their own back yard with a text book away performance, a real smash and grab - a good footballing side, but then so are we, that last game of the season is shaping up to be a cracker !!

York - drew at their place and beat us at ours by 1 goal as we fell asleep at a corner!! It was close and tense and they didn't look greatly better than us.

The scum - sliding backwards, the bore draw with them showed we have nothing to fear - my biggest fear of them is just the derby madness you sometimes get, on paper we should beat them at their rat-hole !

Mansfield - beaten them 1-0 and looking at the way things are going for them, likely to again at their place - nothing to fear here !!

AFC Dons - the only side in the BSP to REALLY impress me this season, I thought they looked good and played some entertaining football. That said, we missed a penalty and hit the post in that match and the goal we gave away was comical - Downer dwelling on the ball and getting it nicked off him, Abbey being "Abbeyesque" in only the way he can in goal, a 25 yard shot which he had full view of sneaking under him, he should have saved it really.

There is nothing these sides have that we should be afraid of, and I don't think for one minute JEMS, or the lads, are afraid of them to be honest. Confidence is rightly high, we've just got to keep doing what we've been doing, we're hard to beat and the 8 goals last week (albeit against poor opposition) will get the goal scoring confidence going again. Alty will be a good benchmark as they beat the scum so convincingly mid-week, a scum side who had reserved its best performances for away from home so far this season.

Rob, I'd go as far as to say even if we narrowly missed out on the play-offs it'd still be a good season. I predicted a 10th place finish this year, I never dreamed we'd be serious contenders for the play-offs. We still have an outside chance of the title if results go for us, teams at the top do get nervy, you need to be poised to take advantage of that, which is exactly what Luton are going. If anyone are going to catch Stevenage, at the moment I think they will.

I'll say it again, if we get into the play-offs we'll win them !! I feel it in my water............mind you, that could just be my age :lol:
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I did have a dream that we played a team in red and white stripes at Wembley. I didn't dream any score.
AFC R & D member number 34
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

On Thursday I dreamt that we won the Final 2-0, Smith scored late on. You don't know how gutted I was when I woke up. :(
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Harry

Post by Harry »

About a week ago I dreamt we beat Luton in the dying second but the scorer passed away after the goal. :? :shock:
Needless to say I was rather relieved when I woke up despite us having won. :?
Diamond down South.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Two of Diamonds wrote:I did have a dream that we played a team in red and white stripes at Wembley. I didn't dream any score.

Altrincham?????? :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No: 26
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

I'm glad I never dream about football, you all seem so disillusioned about it.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter