Desperate measures.....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Desperate measures.....

Post by Trek »

This is a comment posted by a Weymouth fan in response to an article on Twohundredpercent back in February:-

Connor Kinsella
February 21, 2012
Great article and while not revealing anything particularly new to long-suffering Terras fans it’s a sound summary and should be read by K*ttering people very carefully indeed. As a former Weymouth Supporters Trust rep on the Board I had more than a little involvement in accepting his bid for the club in November 2009.
Rolls’ bid was the ‘least worst’ alternative at the time, the worst being padlocks on the gates (which was imminent at time of takeover) or an ‘ever-shifting goalposts’ bid from people who went onto dabble so successfully with Rushden. The problem with GR is this: if he pitched up in a flash motor wearing a camel-hair coat and a huge gold chain you’d take what he said with a huge pinch of salt. But in person at least GR is a nice, inoffensive seeming bloke who seems desperate to be liked. So he says the right things. And then does something completely different. I’ve never joined the anti-Rolls clamour at WFC as at the end of the day he’s the reason we were stood on the terraces last Saturday watching a game of football. But my patience has now worn thin. Invisible in fact. Think carefully Poppies – a phoenix club may not be so unthinkable.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Stalin wrote:I disagree with any football club even the Diamonds getting rid of their debt via Administration or a CVA and then running up a fresh tab or even just splashing budgets around of £20,000 a month on a playing squad. I feel local suppliers have probably had their hands burnt twice by the Diamonds and now the Poppies.

Any hope the Poppies have of building up support in an "foreign land" where the local team was their rival will all but go if they enter a CVA which hurts local businesses.
Completely agree, its disgraceful and of course GR doesn't give a flying f*** about local businesses and its ridiculously bad that he's going to (well says he's going to) splash such a budget despite entering a CVA, realistically they should be on half that at most and keeping a tight budget. Surely local businesses will stay away from that place next season, that's 2 seasons in a row where creditors have lost out from a NP club.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

CountHermanDeBanker wrote:Surely no-one seriously believes that Rolls will splurge £20k a month on the playing budget?<br style="text-shadow: none; "><br style="text-shadow: none; ">That has to be the big, fat, lying carrot, dangled in front of the dumb plops noses to encourage them to part with season ticket and pay on the gate monies, plus it may draw in some sponsors on the basis of the success that sort of budget would virtually guarantee at the level they will be playing.<br style="text-shadow: none; "><br style="text-shadow: none; ">What is it they say on t'interweb blogs and forums? ROTFPMSL...... :lol: :D
Well there is that, you can't take anything he says at face value. I would also suspect that the budget will be half or less than half that figure. That makes me wonder why he would say it though, it might encourage more season ticket sales but it would also anger creditors.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Sara Pascoe wrote:
CountHermanDeBanker wrote:Surely no-one seriously believes that Rolls will splurge £20k a month on the playing budget?<br style="text-shadow: none; "><br style="text-shadow: none; ">That has to be the big, fat, lying carrot, dangled in front of the dumb plops noses to encourage them to part with season ticket and pay on the gate monies, plus it may draw in some sponsors on the basis of the success that sort of budget would virtually guarantee at the level they will be playing.<br style="text-shadow: none; "><br style="text-shadow: none; ">What is it they say on t'interweb blogs and forums? ROTFPMSL...... :lol: :D
Well there is that, you can't take anything he says at face value. I would also suspect that the budget will be half or less than half that figure. That makes me wonder why he would say it though, it might encourage more season ticket sales but it would also anger creditors.
I think his recent comments have indicated that any local creditors are going to be in such a minority they won't be able to reject the CVA. At the same time, by ensuring that he and his partner(s) are substantial creditors themselves it will mean that any angry creditor has little say in the CVA approval. It will be interesting to see if the Poppies Trust are regarded as a creditor.

I'm amazed no one on Poppynet has compared this approach to that used at Weymouth. http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=4697
http://www.theterras.co.uk/website/news ... %20CVA.htm
CountHermanDeBanker

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

I've just come back from the local DIY store in K*ttering.

I bought the supporters the "Jewson" lot, of sand that is.

Now they can bury their heads any time they feel like it :D
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Bobos

Post by Bobos »

It will be interesting, with John Beck in charge as it is reported on Ploppynet.

Long ball tactics, should suit their fans 8-)
Trek

Post by Trek »

Duke of Wimbourne wrote:It will be interesting, with John Beck in charge as it is reported on Ploppynet.

Some wag said Beck would also fit in well with his 'cold shower regime' bearing in mind the state of Nene Park's non-functioning boilers. :D

Whilst Beck had success in his first spell at Cambridge United, before being sacked and then at Lincoln City, after failure at PNE, none of the fans at any club have taken to him, his style of play or man-management but he will work the players hard in training and they will have to follow his instructions. How successful he will be at the lowest level he's ever managed or coached at remains to be seen.
Last edited by Trek on Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Duke of Wimbourne wrote:It will be interesting, with John Beck in charge as it is reported on Ploppynet.

If that's true I wonder if he'll last longer than the 8 weeks he racked up the last time he had the manager's office - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 930662.stm
Trek

Post by Trek »

There was also a problem with his first spell at Histon, when he worked under Steve Fallon. Apparently he was not being paid directly, but rather through a coaching company, and there was a big dispute over the non-payment of un-approved invoices for his services. :shock:
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Do you think they mean John Beck, quarterback of the Houston Texans?