I fail to understand...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
diamondal

Re: I fail to understand...

Post by diamondal »

Sara Pascoe wrote:
Formic wrote:This is the most depressing thread I've ever read on this forum, in any of it's guises.

To think that fellow Diamonds fans would tolerate their club being liquidated, their closest rivals moving into their home, and then go along to Nene Park to watch them proves I didn't understand Rushden & Diamonds fans (or perhaps I don't understand the local mentality being an outsider).

I thought the news we were being wiped off the face of the footballing map, and losing one final battle with K*ttering would be met with dismay, not a bunch of people (with notable exceptions) looking for positives from it.

The "we are only interested in seeing football at Nene Park" brigade aren't the sort of people I want to share my Saturday afternoons with. At least some people recognise the need for a local club that originated locally, not a team from up the A6 posing as a local side - and take pride in having had such a local side that achieved all it did in it's 19 years. Neither the Poppies or the Cobblers managed to win a national league title during that period - yet we won two.

I hope these people reflect on what they are saying, if not now, then when they see a team in Red running out as the home side in August. Perhaps then we might get some people interested in reviving the sort of spirit we used to have, home and away, between true Diamonds fans, not the plastic ones who are only interested in the prices or the quality of the catering in case it affects their "matchday experience".
I think you've just summed it all up Formic, you don't post many heavily opinionated posts but this one has slightly hit me for 6. I can't believe so many of the Rushden and Diamonds Supporters Trust are happy just to see football at Nene Park. How any Rushden fan can just go along with supporting K*ttering at our ground is just astonishing and, as you said, very depressing. 2,500 people are being fucked over this week, if I was a self-respecting K*ttering fan I would not go and watch them outside of K*ttering and I don't see how any Rushden fan can go and watch their rivals play at their own ground. K*ttering Diamonds is an insult and I cannot - CANNOT! - believe how so many are just taking to it. It makes me want to scream, the Rushden and Diamonds Supporters Trust for Christ sake! Why are they giving up with barely a whimper?! I'll say it now, I would like to see 'K*ttering Diamonds' fail spectacularly, because neither K*ttering fans nor us deserve this and I hope the majority of the fans that supported these clubs don't fall for it.
Couldn,t agree more SP. Great post!! :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Sara Pascoe wrote:
Formic wrote:This is the most depressing thread I've ever read on this forum, in any of it's guises.

To think that fellow Diamonds fans would tolerate their club being liquidated, their closest rivals moving into their home, and then go along to Nene Park to watch them proves I didn't understand Rushden & Diamonds fans (or perhaps I don't understand the local mentality being an outsider).

I thought the news we were being wiped off the face of the footballing map, and losing one final battle with K*ttering would be met with dismay, not a bunch of people (with notable exceptions) looking for positives from it.

The "we are only interested in seeing football at Nene Park" brigade aren't the sort of people I want to share my Saturday afternoons with. At least some people recognise the need for a local club that originated locally, not a team from up the A6 posing as a local side - and take pride in having had such a local side that achieved all it did in it's 19 years. Neither the Poppies or the Cobblers managed to win a national league title during that period - yet we won two.

I hope these people reflect on what they are saying, if not now, then when they see a team in Red running out as the home side in August. Perhaps then we might get some people interested in reviving the sort of spirit we used to have, home and away, between true Diamonds fans, not the plastic ones who are only interested in the prices or the quality of the catering in case it affects their "matchday experience".
I think you've just summed it all up Formic, you don't post many heavily opinionated posts but this one has slightly hit me for 6. I can't believe so many of the Rushden and Diamonds Supporters Trust are happy just to see football at Nene Park. How any Rushden fan can just go along with supporting K*ttering at our ground is just astonishing and, as you said, very depressing. 2,500 people are being fucked over this week, if I was a self-respecting K*ttering fan I would not go and watch them outside of K*ttering and I don't see how any Rushden fan can go and watch their rivals play at their own ground. K*ttering Diamonds is an insult and I cannot - CANNOT! - believe how so many are just taking to it. It makes me want to scream, the Rushden and Diamonds Supporters Trust for Christ sake! Why are they giving up with barely a whimper?! I'll say it now, I would like to see 'K*ttering Diamonds' fail spectacularly, because neither K*ttering fans nor us deserve this and I hope the majority of the fans that supported these clubs don't fall for it.
Completely agree. It sickens me that people would be happy with this move.
I would hate a "K*ttering Diamonds" club infinitely more than I dislike K*ttering Town.
Diamond down South.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Sara Pascoe wrote:

<< Snip >>
You are so right in many ways. I have held back on expressing opinions on here whilst I was involved with the Official Website, as it wouldn't seem right to do so - but since that is now mothballed I can do so (those of us that update the OWS will do a few final updates to make it a complete history of R&DFC 1992-2011 at some point).

Regarding the Trust, I didn't go to the meeting, but I understand they took a vote of the members that attended. One additional thing concerning me is feedback I've heard that they may continue to support the Diamonds Youth System even if it gets taken over by KTFC if they do move into Nene Park. That would certainly end any involvement I have with the Trust.
easystreet

Post by easystreet »

From what I hear we havent got much of a youth system left so that I dont think would be possible even if they wanted to.
JamesRDFC

Post by JamesRDFC »

I'm not quoting it again, but I also agree totally.

The thought of going to watch K*ttering playing at Nene Park is never one that will appeal to me. No matter what token name KC and IL want to give it, it will be K*ttering Town playing at Nene Park. K*ttering TOWN FFS.

If you're happy with that, good luck to you. I just cannot understand how anyone would be.
One Dale Roberts. Never forgotten. R.I.P.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds member no. 90
RushdenBoy

Post by RushdenBoy »

I have red the various threads over the last few weeks and like most of us felt anger, frustration, temporary hope and sadness at the twists and turns at the club, along with the lack of information and the realisation that we have been reamed. I am in the minority as a fan that has supported the club post and pre merger (RTFC) since the early seventies. For me, without knowing the agenda for the FF, I feel more uneasy than at anytime since this all kicked off. If the latest Investor comes good then great, even in the Southern league, but how likely is that now? Another merger? Maybe, but with what?. As mentioned elsewhere on here, IMO it's most likely KTFC at Nene park. I hope that I have got that last bit wrong, I really do.
RB
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

I can see to an extent why there are a substantial number of our fans who would support "K*ttering Diamonds" at Nene Park, although I would take the "AFC Rushden & Diamonds" route any day.

It seems our support is split between people who see Rushden & Diamonds as the name, the shirt, the badge and all that those things symolise, and those who see Rushden & Diamonds as a club who occupy the terrific facilities at Nene Park. The split, from reading on here and being at the Trust meeting last night, seems to be between the younger and older supporters respectively (not exclusively though). I understand the 'older' group's feelings towards Nene Park and all that Max built for us, and it will break my heart if football is no longer played there. It will break my heart just as much though to see any club other than Rushden & Diamonds playing there.

For me, Max built Rushden & Diamonds Football Club and Nene Park was a by product of that, so to speak. A wonderful by product and one that is, of course, synonymous with the club and that I'm immensely proud of, but still it is R&DFC that captured my heart first and foremost.

Obviously a phoenix club wouldn't be R&DFC, but it would have elements of the original club in the name, the badge, the shirt and most importantly the people who set it up. Just like R&DFC did with Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds. As I said on another post, any other club playing at Nene Park would have no ties whatsoever to R&DFC, RTFC or IDFC other than it occupying our old ground. Even if the scum moved in and changed their name to Rushden & Ketting Diamonds, I'm sure they would still be wearing their horrible red and black kit, with the horrible Ploppies badge on the front.

No thanks.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Downsie53 wrote: Would you honestly rather have no club than a joint club with decent prospects?

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

JamesRDFC wrote:I'm not quoting it again, but I also agree totally.

The thought of going to watch K*ttering playing at Nene Park is never one that will appeal to me. No matter what token name KC and IL want to give it, it will be K*ttering Town playing at Nene Park. K*ttering TOWN FFS.

If you're happy with that, good luck to you. I just cannot understand how anyone would be.

I'm with you 100 percent.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

A merger between R&DFC and K*ttering would a non starter for many... just as much if liverpool/everton, man utd/man city, villa/birmingham ever merged... it would never happen in a million years, and quite rightly supporters of each club would be livid, if it was even discussed.

I could never go to Nene Park to watch K*ttering Town, I'm with Pigman on this I just wouldn't want to be associated with their supporters.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73