Tonights 'From the Terrace'

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Tonights 'From the Terrace'

Post by davealbon »

I'm sure there are one or two other people out there who still bother to buy a programme, and who read my 'From the Terrace' article tonight with some confusion. It turns out Crawley have been whinging to the Conference about some criticism they received on the official Alty website, and so the board have contacted all Conference clubs asking them not to slag off other teams on their websites or in their programmes. As a result, my article had to be editted somewhat, and ended up making very little sense. I felt it only fair that I shared the full version with everyone. Besides, if Crawley don't like the criticism they shouldn't employ a convicted criminal as manager and continue to cheat at every given opportunity!

"I am going to be completely biased here, as always, but why is it that the footballing Gods so frequently smile upon the least deserving? I refer to the game nine days ago against Crawley Town, who, despite possessing a squad of very talented footballers, still feel the need to resort to the type of tactics that have become synonymous with Steve Evans’ teams over the years. The old adage of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks has never seemed more appropriate. Sour grapes, perhaps? Probably, but then I’ve always been a sore loser!
Creepy Crawley raised many an eyebrow with their extravagant spending during the summer transfer window, and unsurprisingly picked up a few more enemies along the way – not that they were particularly well liked in the first place. On the face of it though, it does seem a little hypocritical for a Rushden & Diamonds supporter to be criticising them for throwing money around like it’s going out of fashion, given our flamboyant spending during the Max Griggs era.
On three separate occasions we broke the record transfer fee paid by a non-league club; £85,000 for Carl Alford (we must have paid by the kilo), £125,000 or thereabouts for everybody’s favourite ex-goalkeeper, and then £180,000 for Justin Jackson in 2000, a record which stood for ten years until Creepy paid a reported £275,000 for Plug from the Bash Street Kids. Sorry, I mean Richard Brodie.
There are however, some subtle yet significant differences between the situations at the two clubs. Firstly, in Max Griggs we had an owner/chairman who was passionate about football and had been involved in the game for some time with Northampton Town. He was a popular and successful local businessman, whose goal from the outset of the club’s conception was to create something that could be enjoyed by the whole community. On the other hand, Crawley’s moneymen are, well.... no one actually knows. By all accounts their identities are as much a mystery to the Crawley fans as the rest of us. Indeed there is some debate over whether they have ever actually been to Crawley before!
Then there are the managers. Roger Ashby always came across as a true gent, and although Brian Talbot was never the most popular person, his integrity and professionalism could never be questioned. Steve Evans’ managerial history, however, is controversial to say the least, and the general consensus among supporters of non-league football (and beyond) is that there should not be a place in the game for such characters.
On a much happier note, we bounced back from the Crawley defeat with a well deserved win over Eastbourne Borough. Our first half performance displayed a level of assertiveness that has perhaps been missing at times this season, and although we had to weather the storm throughout the second half (in more ways than one!) the two goal victory was a just reward for our early endeavour.
Our attacking prowess has certainly improved with the signing of Tim Sills, who, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is a horrible player to play against. He has always caused us problems in the past, especially during his time with Torquay, and is one of those players who opposition supporters love to hate. Tim has certainly endured his fair share of abuse from the De Banke in the past, but he is exactly the type of player we need at the moment, and I'm delighted to see him in a Rushden shirt."
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Red Dragon

Re: Tonights 'From the Terrace'

Post by Red Dragon »

Glad to see that the age of considered, thoughtful journalism didn't perish when I gave up the Terrace biro, Dave.

Nice piece... well done... but you haven't arrived until your physio has a go a you in the Matchday Magazine, merely for pointing out that the goalkeeper had won the Clown Shoes award two matches in succession!
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

Great Read - I can't get the programme anymore - so it's nice to read these articles every now and then..........keep um coming ;)
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Nice article Dave, I see nothing to be concerned about in it.
AFC R & D member number 34
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

Why not get ID to post your 'From the Terrace' articles on the Rushden and Diamonds blog Dave?.... after the match program containing them comes out obviously :lol:
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

AndyKirkup wrote:Why not get ID to post your 'From the Terrace' articles on the Rushden and Diamonds blog Dave?.... after the match program containing them comes out obviously :lol:
I might just do that. The blog has gone very quiet since the end of last season, Dazzler has been a big disappointment with his lack of photos since then! :( ;)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
ID

Post by ID »

davealbon wrote:
AndyKirkup wrote:Why not get ID to post your 'From the Terrace' articles on the Rushden and Diamonds blog Dave?.... after the match program containing them comes out obviously :lol:
I might just do that. The blog has gone very quiet since the end of last season, Dazzler has been a big disappointment with his lack of photos since then! :( ;)
It's not Dazzler's fault, it's mine. I haven't had proper internet for a few months so don't have the time to post up all the photos.

As ever, if anyone has any material for the blog then send it to me :)
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

I read your article Dave and thought it sounded a bit juvenile and did'nt think it was your word, as we are used to on here. Makes a good read each week tho! :D
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Irish Diamond wrote:
davealbon wrote:
It's not Dazzler's fault, it's mine. I haven't had proper internet for a few months so don't have the time to post up all the photos. As ever, if anyone has any material for the blog then send it to me :)
hehe - there's a nice backlog of pics all through pre-season, including the tour, though I do need to name/sort some of the more recent ones.

Look for some pics coming from the Alty game in the programme as there were no Official Match photographers that day (Mal - Redsnapper was sick, and Alty didn't have one), so a few of mine may get used...not that I knew I was taking them for that at the time. I go for more around the ground shots not the match action which is what the Club Photographers are for.