Great weekend......

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Great weekend......

Post by Pigman »

.....no not the football, but just staying in York, we stayed over Friday and Saturday nights, wandering around York on Sunday morning was great !!

The B&B I stayed at was owned and run by a guy called Barry Lyons, he used to play for Nottingham Forest in the 60's and 70's and he also played for York City and managed them for a time, before being sacked for taking them to the bottom of the old 4th DIv - a really nice bloke who can cook a mean brekkie even if he couldn't manage a football team :D

It was interesting chatting to him about life as a footballer, playing against the likes of George Best etc - he had a cracking photo of him and Bob McNab (one of my dad's Arsenal heros of thr era) tackling eachother on the wall - looked like they were fighting eachother karate style :lol: His transfer fee from Rotherham to Forest was £45,000 in 1966 - a ton of money back then !!!

Like I say, nice guy, shame I only found out about his background on Sunday morning, I would have loved to have chatted more to him !! I know where I'll be staying next time I head back to York ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Great weekend......

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

Glad you had a good Pigman! Me + 2 both agreed that we would make a weekend of it when we go to York again. We were almost tempted to book into B&B saturday night and visit more of Yorks many pubs.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Hey Pigman, what's the name of the guest house? We've used the Georgian before which is ideally placed between the ground and city, and has it's own car park at the back.
AFC R & D member number 34
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

Not telling - if I go public I'll never get in there when I need to ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51