Northampton Town FC

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Are they our rivals?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 38

ID

Northampton Town FC

Post by ID »

Does anyone really consider them our rivals anymore?

THAT 3-2 win belongs to another era, really. I don't care either way whether they lose or not anymore, and to be honest I think it's been a while since they've even thought about us when Jeff Stelling reads out the final scores. If there's any sort of rivalry at all to speak of it's certainly gone a bit stale.

Having said that, if we draw them in the cup next year I think both sets of fans would have to admit that there would be something a bit special about that tie.

Views? (Ted, if you want you can reply via Pigman and I'll post it up ;) )
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Northampton Town FC

Post by Bob's Bitch »

We're not their rivals but they're our rivals. Also it still pisses me off seeing them win and because of this I'm putting £10/£20 on them to be promoted as an emotional cover bet if the worst comes to the worst.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

I think there is from the Radio Wobbs lot. Look how long it take for them to announce our score if we've played well and they haven't, generally it takes a while usually.

I think if we ended up playing each other again, a rivalry would be renewed. The rivalry with K*ttering went down a similar route when we were in the Football League and it was only when there was a chance of playing each other again that it really came back. It is certainly stronger since we've played each other a lot more and their fans acting like animals.
ID

Post by ID »

Ted's view:
Rivals is probably not the appropriate word,but it does have some relevance.On the pitch we haven't played each other in a competitive game for so long, an we''ll never play each other again. I said this bold statement when you lost your Football League status, and I hold to this statement today.However, the ethos of the two clubs is inherently different, and for all times the two clubs will be rivals, with one (Northampton Town ) a true example of footall club, and the other an artificial monster that carries the flag for all that is bad in the modern game.

Football has moved on, and so have the two clubs.However, history will always remind us of a bitter Shoemaker who, in order to gain revenge for being scorned, created a Frankensteinesque outfit out of two historic local football clubs with the aim and intention of total domination of Northamptonshire football.

For centuries individuals, groups and races have endeavoured to gain total domination, and thankfully all have ended in abject failure. The sordid tale of the Shoemaker and his immoral waste of a personal fortune will be told and re-told for many years to come, but the reality is there for all to see, A grotesque stadium complex constructed in a desolate semi rural area inhabited by lowly paid and low standing individuals.The club was doomed to failure from the outset, and history has proved this right.

On the other hand, Northampton Town, a proud 113 year old club who have been members of the Football League continuously for 80 years, representative of the county town and with a very loyal and hardy group of supporters.A club at the heart and soul of the local community and a club who are respected and admired for their innovative acheivement of giving fans a real stake in their football clubs through the numerous Trusts that have have followed the first one at Northampton Town.

Therefore, two clubs with such contrasting history and ethos will never co-exist in harmony., in the same way that good and evil will always be in conflict.Therefore, there will be rivaly between the two clubs for as long as they both survive.However, history dictates that entities such as Rushden and Diamonds have a very limiTed life span.

Yours in sport

Ted.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Irish Diamond wrote:Ted's view:
Rivals is probably not the appropriate word,but it does have some relevance.On the pitch we haven't played each other in a competitive game for so long, an we''ll never play each other again. I said this bold statement when you lost your Football League status, and I hold to this statement today.However, the ethos of the two clubs is inherently different, and for all times the two clubs will be rivals, with one (Northampton Town ) a true example of footall club, and the other an artificial monster that carries the flag for all that is bad in the modern game.

Football has moved on, and so have the two clubs.However, history will always remind us of a bitter Shoemaker who, in order to gain revenge for being scorned, created a Frankensteinesque outfit out of two historic local football clubs with the aim and intention of total domination of Northamptonshire football.

For centuries individuals, groups and races have endeavoured to gain total domination, and thankfully all have ended in abject failure. The sordid tale of the Shoemaker and his immoral waste of a personal fortune will be told and re-told for many years to come, but the reality is there for all to see, A grotesque stadium complex constructed in a desolate semi rural area inhabited by lowly paid and low standing individuals.The club was doomed to failure from the outset, and history has proved this right.

On the other hand, Northampton Town, a proud 113 year old club who have been members of the Football League continuously for 80 years, representative of the county town and with a very loyal and hardy group of supporters.A club at the heart and soul of the local community and a club who are respected and admired for their innovative acheivement of giving fans a real stake in their football clubs through the numerous Trusts that have have followed the first one at Northampton Town.

Therefore, two clubs with such contrasting history and ethos will never co-exist in harmony., in the same way that good and evil will always be in conflict.Therefore, there will be rivaly between the two clubs for as long as they both survive.However, history dictates that entities such as Rushden and Diamonds have a very limiTed life span.

Yours in sport

Ted.
Hmm.. he still can't resist having a dig at the club, and this is why he should never be allowed back on the forum, as they say, a leopard never changes its spots.

As for the statement in bold, time will tell Ted, time will tell.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Irish Diamond wrote:Ted's view:

Yours in sport

Ted.
To be fair that's pretty funny!!!!!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Northampton are in real real trouble this season, and i say this as a semi-Northampton fan.

They signed John Johnson yesterday from Middlesborough who is a good player, Liam Davis is also a good player, and youngster Michael Jacobs has the ability to play at a very high level, but other than them i wouldn't go near any of their players with a bargepole.

Their new signings are pathetic, i've seen a couple of their pre-season games and some of them look like they've won a competition in a local newspaper to win a contract for a season.

If we played them right now, we'd wipe the floor with them, and i genuinely believe that.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

BartonRaz wrote:Northampton are in real real trouble this season, and I say this as a semi-Northampton fan.
Take a good, long look at yourself in the mirror. How dare you, you make me sick.

;)
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Regardless of Ted's opinion on the subject, I honestly think that we will play each other in a league fixture again sooner rather than later. Of course, I am hoping that would be in the Football League, but if they are not careful before long, they could very well end up in non league. Far bigger clubs have ended up in the Conference in recent years, as we all know.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

We have one set of TRUE rivals and one set only - the Ploppies !! The Knobblers were passing rivals when we were in the same league, but only ever as local opponents and more so on their side than ours to be honest.

I couldn't give a stuff about the Knobblers to be honest, I enjoy seeing them lose purely because of a little local rivalry, but in my opinion they will never be our real rivals - that honour belongs to the scum !!!

Ted can say what he likes, it just shows how bitter and twisted he is eh?? :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51