FA Cup changes

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 85 times
Been Liked: 14 times

FA Cup changes

Post by Rushdenjim »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583

Following the utterly disgraceful decision by the FA to scrap FA Cup replays, could I ask the club how it feels it could response to this to represent the feelings of the fan base to the relevant authorities?

Tranmere have this afternoon released a statement which I think hits the nail on the head. https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2 ... p-replays/, I suspect there are other club doing similar.

I appreciate it's mostly futile, but it would be good if the club could represent fan's view, both publicly and behind closed doors (via the Local FA?) to put on record and make clear what a backwards step this is for lower league and grassroots football.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: FA Cup changes

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

If you think the FA will listen to the thoughts of a club at the nether regions of the pyramid you are deluded.
Rushdenjim

Post by Rushdenjim »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm If you think the FA will listen to the thoughts of a club at the nether regions of the pyramid you are deluded.
No I don't, but it shouldn't stop those thoughts being expressed.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by rickthediamond »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm If you think the FA will listen to the thoughts of a club at the nether regions of the pyramid you are deluded.
Pretty sure they know that. It’s about having a united front though. I too agree that it would be good for the club to make a public statement.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

rickthediamond wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm
Pretty sure they know that. It’s about having a united front though. I too agree that it would be good for the club to make a public statement.
If all non league clubs plus any EFL clubs that agree were to threaten to withdraw from the competition it would be a united front and discredit the FA.
AFC R & D member number 34
Rushdenjim

Post by Rushdenjim »

Decent statement from K*ttering this morning.

Dozens of lower league and non league clubs have now put on record their objections to these ruinous plans. Hope the club follows suit in due course.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

I think the Club will make some kind of statement considering we are offering a commemorative Rushden & Diamonds 1998-99 home or away shirt!
to remember Rushden and Diamonds finest moment in The F.A Cup
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Bobdiddly
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bobdiddly »

I think criticism of these changes are maybe a bit premature.
Replays have been unpopular with lots of clubs for a while. Of course the smaller clubs love them but the world has changed and there may be better ways to use the fa Cup to move money down the football pyramid.
Imagine if we drew - say - Derby County in the cup, and were given the option of moving the game to their ground.
Yes we lose home advantage but we gain financially. If the game is on the telly then keep it at home and have the best of both worlds.
There are many ways the fa Cup can retain its magic for smaller clubs whilst keeping the biggest clubs engaged in a world where European football is clearly the priority for many clubs/ owners.
Rushdenjim

Post by Rushdenjim »