3G at Hayden Rd?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

3G at Hayden Rd?

Post by Ricky330 »

With the significant no of canceled games this season for both Afc & RandH is it not time to consider 3G for Hayden Rd? Surely it would be easier (& substantially less) money to raise/get grants for than a new home , plus both clubs would earn considerable revenue from renting the pitch out. What are your views?
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Re: 3G at Hayden Rd?

Post by rickthediamond »

Would need both R&HUFC and AFCR&D to be willing. As far as I’m aware, R&HUFC want to improve/renovate a lot of Hayden Road, including fixing up the main stand. There are plenty of grants available, especially for the instalment of an artificial pitch. The thing I don’t know though, is how much investment would be required by the clubs and how much would be covered by a grant? I would imagine that if there is any considerable cost on our side, that we probably wouldn’t want to do it. Seeing as we are trying to put aside ring fenced funds for the new home project.
Lee Tomlin la la la
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Spend the money on a new home
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

I hate them, but understand why teams have them.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

No, no, no, no !!!

I get the business case and argument for them, of course I do, but I’m a Luddite - football should be played on grass IMO! I hate watching football on artificial pitches!

I love this club, I think I’ve proved that over the years, but if we were to ever go that way my love affair would probably be over - my enjoyment would be so affected I’d probably throw the towel in if I’m honest!

I’d love to see us in a new home with a good quality grass pitch with good drainage and a lovely shine 4G pitch adjacent - best of both worlds!

Any fundraising or grant funding should be directed to that aim in my opinion - but I’m just a fan with one vote! I’m sure if the board were to consider it for our new home they would put it to a membership vote!

I’m sure I’ll get criticised for that opinion - but I know I’m not alone in holding that view!!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

That’s exactly how I feel.
Sevenofdiamonds
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Sevenofdiamonds »

3G pitches are bad for the environment and should be banned
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Sevenofdiamonds wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 pm 3G pitches are bad for the environment and should be banned
3G pitches were once considered the future, but the environmental impact of them means I suspect they will be a thing of the past within the next decade.

They may be redesigned with alternative products than the rubber crumb which is main culprit for the environmental harm, but on the whole, 3G pitches are a thing of the past now.

Any new ground would not only need good pitch drainage but a comprehensive sustainable drainage system to hold excess surface water as the local drainage network of ditches and rivers are constantly being overwhelmed. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
Sevenofdiamonds
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Sevenofdiamonds »

Exactly - replacing grass with plastic can't be good.

Also the variation in playing surfaces is part of what football is, the game shouldn't be diminished by taking that variation away.