Lost [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

Post by fentiger79 »

I know it looks difficult now but we can still do this. We need to turn our effort into a win. Hopefully it will be Saturday at Bedworth. A strange one, thought they looked really good when we played them earlier in the season but have fallen off quite a bit. Let’s stay positive and believe.
AdamSRJFC
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by AdamSRJFC »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:36 pm
AdamSRJFC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:56 pm Can somebody please explain why the first team manager did not do the post-match interview?
Tom asked to do it and wanted to do it. Simple as that really.
Fair enough as a response - thanks. You'll understand why the question was asked given the result.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

AdamSRJFC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:13 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:36 pm
AdamSRJFC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:56 pm Can somebody please explain why the first team manager did not do the post-match interview?
Tom asked to do it and wanted to do it. Simple as that really.
Fair enough as a response - thanks. You'll understand why the question was asked given the result.
Oh yeah I completely get it.

To be honest I'd thought for a while that they should mix it up a bit as it's not only incredibly hard to have to appear on video directly after the game every week to answer the same or similar questions time and again, but also I imagine a bit soul destroying for Joseph and Bruce asking them!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by gibston »

Guessing it's bloody hardwork!!! He's human & guessing absolutely devastated. It's been thankless task. I'm not saying I agree with the tactics as I'm a big 4 4 2 fan (old school I know) but what I do know is regardless of 4 3 3 - 4 2 3 1 - 4 4 2 in last few games we been punished for basics errors & can't afford to miss headers from 2 yards out. But yes I agree I'd like to see us set up slightly different HOWEVER if we keep making these basic mistakes & missing key chances it's irrelevant.

Alex / Rob have been fairly open & honest in terms of where we're at and we're a bloody hard sell with people not wanting to come. The work load them guys are doing amongst others to make sure we have club must be relentless, and to read some of the stuff on here must hurt big time. We are definitely better than the 4 points we sit on right now, but it is what it is. What also makes me laugh is there some on here all of sudden a peaks fan but wanted him out few years ago 😂

The ££££ getting spent locally & position we were in before the MH - Shanks appointment again made difficult job for anyone, hence the lack of interest. If I'm being honest i knew we were doomed before there appointment. So it's definitely ucl next season unless some miracle happens.

I'm just hoping we still have a club to support next season & the current guys now busting gut want to continue and have us in a position to have a competitive budget to compete at step 5 football and hopefully bring some better days than last few years.

Only my opinion 🤷‍♂️
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:03 am
sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 pm Disgraceful decision to interview Labour candidate and to draw politics into the club or can we expect Peter Bone to be interviewed on Tuesday,followed by the Greens, Reform and Lib Dems. As far as I am aware she has never been to a match,and probably never will again, pure electioneering. Shame on those responsible for this.
Cast your mind back to the early days of AFCR&D.

A few factual corrections. Peter Bone has not, as yet, been declared as a candidate for any party and won't be for the Tories.

Given the reasons for the by-election Wellingborough is a key site. Bone knew he wouldn't not get elected for the last two elections so didn't bother campaigning, plus he hates football so any show by him would be ultra-electioneering.

Have you considered that trying to attract people who aren't regulars to the games might be a good thing?
Fair play to trying to explain all the above to "sussexdiamond" mate, but if thinks that the decision to invite the Labour candidate along was "Disgraceful". Wait until he hears what Peter Bone has been up to......
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Dowlo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:48 am
sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 pm Disgraceful decision to interview Labour candidate and to draw politics into the club or can we expect Peter Bone to be interviewed on Tuesday,followed by the Greens, Reform and Lib Dems. As far as I am aware she has never been to a match,and probably never will again, pure electioneering. Shame on those responsible for this.

A few factual corrections. Peter Bone has not, as yet, been declared as a candidate for any party and won't be for the Tories.

Given the reasons for the by-election Wellingborough is a key site. Bone knew he wouldn't not get elected for the last two elections so didn't bother campaigning, plus he hates football so any show by him would be ultra-electioneering.

Have you considered that trying to attract people who aren't regulars to the games might be a good thing?
Fair play to trying to explain all the above to "sussexdiamond" mate, but if thinks that the decision to invite the Labour candidate along was "Disgraceful". Wait until he hears what Peter Bone has been up to......
I know all about the allegations against Peter Bone. I actually bumped into him at the beginning of Decembe at B and Q car park. We had a limited chat as he was not allowed to discuss his situation. I've met him previously and always found him approachable. I don't always agree with his opinions. The idea of the club engaging with politicians was well explained by Matt in his post, but I am always sceptical as they are only interested in being elected and then they will do whatever Starmer, Sunak etc tell them to.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:02 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 am
Wrong appointments, I’m not counting Nunn in that as coming in after Burgess and Maxwell was always going to be hard.
As I’ve said before, I’ve got nothing but respect for the board, but they made the wrong decision in appointing Harriman, I wasn’t exactly enthused when he was announced as our manager after one good result, didn’t think anything would improve, seems that’s the case.
Not sure I should really rise to all this but I've explained this in detail once before. Nobody of any standing in the game at this level applied. Nobody of any standing in the levels below locally applied. Nobody we approached wanted it. We were bottom of the league, out all of the cups, had lost every game and have had well-publicised financial issues and issues with the governance of the Club. There was no decision. It was virtually the only decision and to be honest at the time, it felt like the right one and not just because they'd won one game.

It also wasn't one we could delay. Like I've said we were bottom of the league. Players were interested but wouldn't sign given the uncertainty around management. We needed new players. Everybody needed certainty and in good faith that's what we gave them.

It seems ridiculous writing this because I'm aware that football is a results business but in my opinion they've done pretty much everything they could have done to try and turn this around with the exception of trialing different formations which, having chatted to Michael, he is open to but doesn't feel we have the players at the moment to play any other way. Our difficulties attracting forward players even from steps 5 and 6 has been well documented, let alone players that have been there and done it at our level. Again this isn't a money issue. Players don't want to come and be a part of this. It's as simple as that.

Nobody is more gutted about what's happened this season then I am, I can assure everyone of that. We won't give up but naturally it would be sensible to begin forecasting for what next season might look like. There was a good post earlier in this thread from rickthediamond in which he mentioned the outcome of that should be shared with part-owners and I agree, so that's something I'm sure we will look to do in due course.
Apologies, you have explained the reasoning before, I guess the frustration of current situation is clouding my mind in that respect.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:04 pm
Dowlo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:48 am

I know all about the allegations against Peter Bone. I actually bumped into him at the beginning of Decembe at B and Q car park. We had a limited chat as he was not allowed to discuss his situation. I've met him previously and always found him approachable. I don't always agree with his opinions. The idea of the club engaging with politicians was well explained by Matt in his post, but I am always sceptical as they are only interested in being elected and then they will do whatever Starmer, Sunak etc tell them to.
You'll be pleased to know that his current squeeze has been selected.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights from AFCRDTV