Lost [ Sat 11th Nov ] v Anstey Nomads, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Re: [ Sat 11th Nov ] v Anstey Nomads, KO 3pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by diamondsteve »

Are we all just exhausted of post match chat?
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights and interviews with AFCRDTV

fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Whilst I couldn’t make it yesterday I did follow the twitter updates and it sounded like we had the chances again. 2 weeks until our next game which will give the management team a chance to add to the signings. Really need to persuade Bully that we are the choice for him even if it’s till the end of the season. Oh, and another striker. Simple!! 😁
Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

In spite of the result that was a commendable effort against a team chasing promotion. After keeping them at bay for the first half an hour or so and having some promising attacks of our own, it was a bit disappointing to concede from Kanga’s unchallenged shot. When we let in another goal early in the second half you felt like it was game over at that point, but we battled hard and never let them pull away. Despite Anstey being in complete control at 2-0 and looking dangerous, we were still just about hanging on in there and what a glorious chance it was for Pinto-Leite, who somehow couldn’t sort his feet out. We continued to probe though and deserved our goal to reduce the arrears and set up an interesting finish.

There were some positive individual performances from the lads out there, especially from Ryan Inman who looks like an excellent signing and was clear MOTM. He was comfortable on the ball and knocks it around nicely. We’ve really lacked someone in the middle of the pitch to take control of games and pull the strings, so he may well be the player who helps to change our season around. Very encouraging interview from him as well. Garwood was tough and dogged at right-back and he always tries his utmost not to get beaten, whilst Thomas looked pretty assured at centre-half.

The fact that we could’ve realistically snatched a point away to the second placed side should give us some cause for optimism going forward. We have to target beating both Shepshed Dynamo and Walsall Wood now before our challenging schedule of games in December before Christmas.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Easton Diamond wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:57 pm

The fact that we could’ve realistically snatched a point away to the second placed side should give us some cause for optimism going forward. We have to target beating both Shepshed Dynamo and Walsall Wood now before our challenging schedule of games in December before Christmas.
"we could've"- but you didn't

You have to beat everyone. 7 points adrift having lost to the team directly above. I keep reading all this "we can focus on the next...blah blah blah"

You are 1/3 of the way into the season, with 4 points on the board. The side needs to go on a run of 4/5 wins now to stand any chance of staying up.

The more you think about it. The damaged done by Burgess and Co* was perhaps so bad, that it can't be fixed at this level. It's going to take another relegation and a reset in the UCL for the club to get back on its feet properly and not lurching from one fudge fix to another. That's not a dig at the people running the show by the way. I imagine they are all working their ars*s off, but the constant waves of issues coming their way is too much to control at this level. Perhaps I may be wrong, but it feels that way looking on from afar.

The every 2 weeks of players coming and going , the inexperience of the players coming in, the whole "we played well" and "some nice stuff", but won nothing comments. You can play as well as you want but if you keep losing you go down. Play ugly, be horrible and win. That has to be the mindset from here on in. Then you if that digs you out the hole, you can then look to be playing nice and being unlucky again.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

At least we did score our first second half goal of the season.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Dowlo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 am

You have to beat everyone. 7 points adrift having lost to the team directly above. I keep reading all this "we can focus on the next...blah blah blah"

You are 1/3 of the way into the season, with 4 points on the board. The side needs to go on a run of 4/5 wins now to stand any chance of staying up.

The more you think about it. The damaged done by Burgess and Co* was perhaps so bad, that it can't be fixed at this level. It's going to take another relegation and a reset in the UCL for the club to get back on its feet properly and not lurching from one fudge fix to another. That's not a dig at the people running the show by the way. I imagine they are all working their ars*s off, but the constant waves of issues coming their way is too much to control at this level. Perhaps I may be wrong, but it feels that way looking on from afar.

The every 2 weeks of players coming and going , the inexperience of the players coming in, the whole "we played well" and "some nice stuff", but won nothing comments. You can play as well as you want but if you keep losing you go down. Play ugly, be horrible and win. That has to be the mindset from here on in. Then you if that digs you out the hole, you can then look to be playing nice and being unlucky again.
This, have to agree. With results going against us elsewhere we are pretty much beyond the 'we could've' but still lost, we need points and wins right now, another season where its only November and already we are well adrift of safety. It's not like we are getting outplayed by anyone, but we have been bullied all season long by more experienced teams, have been too nice and naive and have to toughen up to get out of this mess.

The next two games are crucial tbh, no less than 4 or 6 points is needed somehow, as well as a few more signings if we can, but I am very concerned. I appreciate that there probably weren't many options, but again, just like last season, we have ended up going with someone internal based on 1 win and no managerial experience to get us out of this huge hole, it couldn't be any more difficult a first managerial job for Michael, but we really can't afford to give as much time as Maxwell had last season if it doesn't work out otherwise it will be too late and we'll be down by Christmas again.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Dowlo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 am

Completely agree. We’ve been far too nice for far too long. We have 1 win from 15 in November, lost in both cups at the first attempt and already 7 points adrift. 13 losses. I’ve heard people say there are worse teams than us but the teams mentioned have already beaten us… unfortunately this current squad will not keep us up. I worry that the ‘casual’ fan will walk away and we will be left with the loyal 150-250 if we continue to sit rock bottom for the duration of the season.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Easton Diamond wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:57 pm especially from Ryan Inman who looks like an excellent signing and was clear MOTM. He was comfortable on the ball and knocks it around nicely.
We said the same about Conor Tee last year, he turned out to be inconsistent, Inman was at Daventry not so long ago so we need to hope that inconsistency isn't the reason he was playing at a lower level.

Last year before Nunn came in, we kept seeing 10 minute spells that made us think things are going to improve, under both Burgess and Maxwell, then the same happened under Nunny, even for him things only finally clicked after we were relegated which meant the pressure was off.

When we are behind in a game, the pressure drops because the fans are expecting us to lose anyway, then we see the odd risk being taken and us coming close to an equaliser.

We are in a crisis at the minute but we also need to cast an eye forward onto the next crisis which is in the summer...
Save our Summer is designed to be a collaborative effort between The Board, The Membership and The Fanbase to generate these critical close season funds whilst protecting next season's budget-forming revenue streams
We can't have another legends day just 12 months after the last, we need to start concentrating on 'Save Our Summer' now if we are going to raise anywhere near what was raised in the summer, otherwise if we get relegated we won't be having a promotion push next season and if we survive we will struggle to compete at the top end of the table.

Donation and fundraising campaigns need to go into full swing mode.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

As a die-hard fan who goes to every single home game and the vast majority of away matches, believe you me I am as concerned as any supporter is regarding our current predicament. The point I was trying to make was that we were a simple close range finish away on Saturday from getting a result against one of the best sides in the NPLM. Hence, if we can compete with the likes of Anstey then we need to back ourselves to get results against most of the other teams in the league, especially when we play them at Hayden Road. We are only in mid-November and there are 25 games to go with 75 points available; overturning a seven point deficit is well within the realms of possibility.

If you look back to the previous games, we are not in this position due to a lack of physicality or being too nice. It is because we haven’t been anywhere near clinical enough in and around both boxes and have got the little details in games wrong. After seeing the standard of the other teams in this league, we have every opportunity to finish above at least two sides in the division. We have to believe we can stay up, there is no other option. Otherwise we may as well just throw the towel in now.

This is going to be a fight, a scrap and a battle right until the end of the season. It’s about giving ourselves a chance during the last 10 games or so of surviving. Too many people have put too much time and effort into the club for us to just accept relegation back to Step 5 already. We can’t keep blaming the Burgess and Maxwell era for our current situation, because this is a completely new campaign with a largely different squad. It’s time to move on from that now. Massive run of fixtures coming up during which the players and management staff need our full and unwavering support.