[ U23s / Development Squad ] Update

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ U23s / Development Squad ] Update

Post by rdusher »

Hi all

Just to touch on a few of the points raised above, the Academy, as mentioned, is fully self funded on that Academy money doesn't support the First Team and vice versa. Both have their own budget sheets and are managed independently. Within the academy budget, which is set long before the season or indeed pre season begins, the Development team is unfortunately unsustainable.

As suggested above, Part Owners should have a more in depth explanation of the reason behind this decision, although as Matt has mentioned, the sensitivity of some of these issues aren't appropriate for discussion on a public form, so with that in my mind, I'm happy to jump on to the Part Owners and provide a more comprehensive update on the reasoning behind the decision. I'll try and get that done this evening, but will be by tomorrow morning at the latest.

As a summary on this thread though, I'd add only that this decision has been a tough one to make. We've analysed and deliberated on it as a group, with substantial input from those involved in the management, ethos and delivery of the academy, as well as our financial controllers at board level, and the decision that we have reached is, I believe, the best course of action.

It is also worth mentioning that this decision was reached purely on business rather than football reasons and is by no means a reflection of the incredible hard work that so many people have put in to try and make the develop team a success.

We all remain absolutely committed to the pathway and the ability to provide a direct route to first team opportunities for those who have progressed through our development phase. A plan is in place to support the post 16 element of our pathway to rebuild organically over a short period of time.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

I look at it this way, if you look at today's Wellingborough Town starting line up - 4 or 5 of their players could do a job in our first team.

If you look at our U23 Development squad - 0 could do a job in our first team.

If players over 20 are not capable of playing first team football in the UCL then I doubt they are ever going to make it into our first team, my advice to our youngsters from 17 onwards would be to get out there and play some UCL football against older players.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Adrian totally agree with you, often wondered why we had this U23 squad from the start
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Excellent comprehensive reply form Rob Usher on the official members forum. A 'must read' for any Co owner.
diamond.diva
Has Liked: 87 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by diamond.diva »

Sussex Diamond. Where can I find this please? I’ve logged onto the owners section but can’t see any post from Rob.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

You need to enter "the Lounge". If you have any difficulty I suggest you contact Rob or Alex.
diamond.diva
Has Liked: 87 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by diamond.diva »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:19 pm You need to enter "the Lounge". If you have any difficulty I suggest you contact Rob or Alex.
Thank you. I tried to enter the lounge but it sent me here. Strange!! Yes , think I’ll try again & get other half to try as well. If we can’t then I’ll have to contact them.