All Change at the Poppies

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Re: All Change at the Poppies

Post by Adrian »

I called it for Mitch Austin a month ago but Graham Drury seems adamant Mitch won't leave Market Harborough - and let's face it all of his achievements have been down to money hence the amount of ex Poppies he signs. Take him to a club with no money and he'll be exposed.

Lee Tomlin? surely not :biggrin:
They appoint an ex Diamonds assistant who hadn't managed in decades who leads them to relegation, now they are linked with another ex Diamond, this time one with no managerial experience.

People including Jon Dunham keep saying the Poppies are still a 'big pull' but I don't agree, money is a big pull - they had it when they were in the Southern League before, now they don't have it. they also play at a ground barely good enough for the Conference North so the club is hardly a pull for anyone who remembers them being a 'big' non league club. They need a reality check, we had one this season and thankfully have come out of it stronger.

Lots of applicants doesn't mean you are a big pull, even Yaxley claim to have had lots of applicants.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Biggles
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by Biggles »

Of course they have lots of applicants, about 80% of them will be from teenager Football Manager Wannabees and about half a dozen of the applicants will want a super budget of mega money to tale them to the European Cup final in a few seasons.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Biggles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am Of course they have lots of applicants, about 80% of them will be from teenager Football Manager Wannabees and about half a dozen of the applicants will want a super budget of mega money to tale them to the European Cup final in a few seasons.
This is correct, when we were advertising for a new manager last season I had 60 applicants. Most asked what the money was first off, others came from way outside Northants and didn't know players and the rest had never managed anywhere. None said they had GPS vests though.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 am
Biggles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 am Of course they have lots of applicants, about 80% of them will be from teenager Football Manager Wannabees and about half a dozen of the applicants will want a super budget of mega money to tale them to the European Cup final in a few seasons.
This is correct, when we were advertising for a new manager last season I had 60 applicants. Most asked what the money was first off, others came from way outside Northants and didn't know players and the rest had never managed anywhere. None said they had GPS vests though.
That's genuinely fascinating to me re: QTY of applicants. Before we appointed Chris Nunn, I think we had less than 20 as a Step 3 club which probably reflects the state of the club at the time. I wouldn't say we had many/any complete time-wasters but only 4 or 5 of them were applications we could realistically consider.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 am
Wanna buy some? 😁
AFC R & D member number 34