Former Players

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Re: Former Players

Post by NN10-Nige »

therushden wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:35 pm He was frightened of scoring goals.

A terrible attempt at sarcasm, give your head a wobble.
You mention Dale Roberts in your signature, so you will be well aware from first hand experience of the effects of mental health on footballers from when Dale took his own life.

Drew Broughton wrote: My breakdown in 2011 forced me to go on a fearless journey of honest self reflection. The single outcome of this work, was a realisation and understanding that fear had stolen my potential.

Drew Broughton wrote: Players fear underperforming, being humiliated, and not fulfilling their potential.

Drew Broughton wrote: As a player I started to survive, rather than flourish. Performances that would naturally occur on the training ground, I couldn't recreate on match day and I found myself constantly searching for answers. To try and find my performance I would over-train, under-train, eat perfectly or poorly, and constantly fluctuate between needing complete control and letting go. Nothing worked. The truth is, I only performed at my best for 5% of a 17 year professional playing career.

The Rotherham Advertiser wrote: Little more than three years later, his playing days were over, his marriage had collapsed, he was estranged from his daughter, bankrupt, a gambling addict and a suicide risk.

Lots of respect for him, it takes a lot for sportsmen to be so honest.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

i know no more about him than i do of other failing ex rdfc strikers. hence the comment.
now you've highlighted his past, this may well be why he was distinctly average.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

therushden wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:35 pm He was frightened of scoring goals.
Not saying he behaved well, but he was a decent goalscorer in a bad team. A couple of big goals vs Boston and Northampton in 04/05. 10 in 37 in the relegation season, including winners in 4 games towards the end of the season and Rochdale (which should've been a winner!). I blame Simeon Jackson, he should've scored a second.

I think about that season too much.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

NN10-Nige wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:04 pm
A terrible attempt at sarcasm, give your head a wobble.
You mention Dale Roberts in your signature, so you will be well aware from first hand experience of the effects of mental health on footballers from when Dale took his own life.
Your attempts at lecturing people over what they should/shouldn't be saying on here are becoming more and more laughable given your own comments and actions although I notice your ridiculous signature has now been removed.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Drew Broughton was a real trier but far too fond of using swinging elbows on any defender and these actions were highlighted to his detriment by him sporting a pair of white tennis style wristlets. 😞
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Connor furlong joins Royston
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Ricky330 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:02 am Connor furlong joins Royston
Where did you see this? I can’t see an announcement on Royston Town’s Twitter. However, if it’s true then it was only a matter of time before he left.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:17 am
Where did you see this? I can’t see an announcement on Royston Town’s Twitter. However, if it’s true then it was only a matter of time before he left.
On southern league website
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Confirmed here. Also Andrew Osei-Bonsu now at Royston who played games on trial for us in the pre-season before 2021/22 season.

https://southern-football-league.co.uk/ ... ld-Options
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Ricky330 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:20 am
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:17 am
On southern league website
Hugely disappointing news. I thought Connor had improved massively this season, and while he still needs to work on his end product, he was one of the few players in the current squad I would definitely have kept. Can't blame him for wanting to leave though given the current situation.

We need the new manager in asap before we lose any more of the few players actually good enough for this level. They will have a tough enough job as it is.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297