Burgess departs

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Re: Burgess departs

Post by The pressman »

I agree with Fettinger - we don't want the U23 manager anywhere near first team training. We also need a new Football Liaison Officer.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 am So the list is, Mitch Austin, Chris Nunn, both currently enjoying success elsewhere. Guy Hadland, responsible for win over Barwell. Hicks or Maxwell as caretaker. Its not a very long list is it? I would not be surprised to see some of Burgess signings leave very soon, Fossen, Black, Hines amongst them.
Fossen is on a contract isn't he? To be fair, I wouldn't want to let him go without giving him more of a chance, yes it sounds like he had a nightmare yesterday, but was solid against Barwell and when I've heard him on AFCRDTV or radio diamonds, he does come across as a good personality to keep around.

Hines and Black, both signings just screamed desperation to me, Hines prior to coming here had just come back from a long term injury and was struggling to make the first 11 of a mid table step 5 team and Black has played most of his senior football at lower levels so how Burge thought they were the answer I have no idea...
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 am So the list is, Mitch Austin, Chris Nunn, both currently enjoying success elsewhere. Guy Hadland, responsible for win over Barwell. Hicks or Maxwell as caretaker. Its not a very long list is it? I would not be surprised to see some of Burgess signings leave very soon, Fossen, Black, Hines amongst them.
I would think there’s more than that who will at least show an interest, this week will be an interesting one that’s for sure.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

My take as a fan and member was that the appointment had the potential to work and take the football side of the club in a different direction. People have short memories and there was always criticism of Peaksy and how he conducted himself on the sidelines, so the club needed to do something different. Burgess had the potential to bring in items from the professional game such as a head of fitness and the much castigated vests.

The games at the end of the season should have given him an insight into how this level works and it needed a hybrid model of knowing how this level works with players/contracts/7day notices etc and an increase in professionalism, increased fitness and developing our own players.

I think the thing that didn’t work was that he was unable to grasp the level we play at and trying to operate as a professional club was too big a step for the club. His recruitment was far too limited he knew what was needed (from pre season) but was unable to deliver.

I certainly don’t think it was an appointment made on nostalgia, we’ve turned down nostalgic options in the past.

99% of people wanted him to succeed, and it’s a shame it hasn’t as I know he’s worked really hard.

There are quite a few managers attached and not attached who might be of interest and who might be interested.

Finally, if as some have suggested the board are failing as it is, then people need to step forward and show them how to do it.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

My comment on Fossen is based more on his connection with Burgess rather than ability. Not sure if he is on contract but would want him to stay. Also can we get Paddy Casey to reconsider leaving.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Said it before and I'll say it again. Appoint Mitch Austin and any integrity the board have will be thrown out the window.

With any candidate they'll need to do a deep dig into their background and well as playing style and recruitment.

First call I'd make would be to Peterborough Sports to ask to speak to Jimmy Dean.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:09 am Said it before and I'll say it again. Appoint Mitch Austin and any integrity the board have will be thrown out the window.

With any candidate they'll need to do a deep dig into their background and well as playing style and recruitment.

First call I'd make would be to Peterborough Sports to ask to speak to Jimmy Dean.
Completely agree with the first point and disagree with the second, whilst he has done a great job why would he leave for a reduced budget in the league below, he’s got a job for life as long as he wants it there
AFC R&D Member No. 67
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

To me the vest situation wouldnt have been a problem,,,,later on though,,,when burge came in the club was in turmoil,,,,we hadnt finalised a club chairman, players leaving,,peaksy and staff leaving,,,then up pops burge with his new fangled ideas,,,it felt like we were punched from all angles
One step at a time
1:sort a team out to be competitive/and consolidate in the league
2:sort the chairman issue
3:once above two issues sorted feed in the fitness regime
4:and once all the above has been done, bring in the vests
All too much too soon

Anyway, on to the next chapter(off the record is it possible to bring a money man chairman in that doesnt get involved with the rest of the teams ?)
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

bozzer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 am
SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:09 am Said it before and I'll say it again. Appoint Mitch Austin and any integrity the board have will be thrown out the window.

Completely agree with the first point and disagree with the second, whilst he has done a great job why would he leave for a reduced budget in the league below, he’s got a job for life as long as he wants it there
I don't think there's any chance of either of those joining us. Both their clubs are flying and they have an open checkbook to work with. No incentive for them to join us at present.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Peterborough Sports and Harborough Town have serious money being put into their playing budget and I would be flabbergasted if either Dean or Austin are interested in our vacancy. There are many managers at any level in the game that are only interested when they have the money available to attract the sort of player that they’re after.
Unfortunately Burgess having been involved in the game since his playing days ended did not have the required managerial experience so it is no wonder that things quickly unraveled with our club. A lesson learnt for our Board I trust who I’m sure will be far more pragmatic in their approach to appointing a new manager.