Burgess departs

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: Burgess departs

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

If it had been left any longer then you would have accepted relegation.

When you are struggling all the phrases like "trust the process", the "professionalism" need to be forgotten.

Pragmatism is the order of the day and you make yourselves hard to beat. Two banks of four, the eleven guys who will fight the hardest and you split the game down into 15/20 minutes with an objective in each.

5-0 against a team bottom of the league suggest that wasn't a lesson learned.
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

davealbon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm Sad that it ended this way but no question the right decision has been made. It's not clear from the club statement, but I suspect this was a mutual decision, in which case well done to all involved for reaching this conclusion quickly and not letting this mess drag on.

I assume the rest of the coaching team have departed too? If so I'm not sure what impact that will have on the academy with Chris Wilmott having been in charge of that too?
I hope he did the decent thing and resigned. Surely even Burge could now see that he was the wrong man for the job. If the board had to sack him it reflects badly on his character.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

As said elsewhere Wilkin is unlikely to be interested in the managers position but would he come in on a consultancy basis to help with player and management recruitment?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

mattparker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:34 pm As said elsewhere Wilkin is unlikely to be interested in the managers position but would he come in on a consultancy basis to help with player and management recruitment?
I think it's very unlikely to be honest, but certainly worth a phone call - you don't ask, you don't get.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Well done the Board for not letting this matter drag on. 👏
What is now needed is a safe pair of hands with someone who knows this level and the players that are suitable and available. Is Chris Nunn still out of a job?
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Trek wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:01 pm Well done the Board for not letting this matter drag on. 👏
What is now needed is a safe pair of hands with someone who knows this level and the players that are suitable and available. Is Chris Nunn still out of a job?
Nunny is at Kempston Rovers and not surprisingly doing very well that said over the years you could make a decent team from players signed from Rovers so why not add a manager to the list.
Joking aside I’m sure he’s definitely unavailable though he may not have been when Peaksy left, another thing to add to the list of missed opportunities.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:07 pm If it had been left any longer then you would have accepted relegation.

When you are struggling all the phrases like "trust the process", the "professionalism" need to be forgotten.

Pragmatism is the order of the day and you make yourselves hard to beat. Two banks of four, the eleven guys who will fight the hardest and you split the game down into 15/20 minutes with an objective in each.

5-0 against a team bottom of the league suggest that wasn't a lesson learned.
Couldn't agree more, where we've have supposedly had a 'leap forward in professionalism' , we've at the same time gone from a playoff chasing team to a laughing stock in serious danger of relegation to step 4 in the space of 6 months. What we need now is for someone with experience of this level to come in, kick these lads into shape and get us playing like you say, pragmatically, do the basics right instead of trying anything adventurous, it could very well be ugly football, but I think we'll take anything if it gets us results.

Will be interesting to see which players survive the managerial change, I don't think they're all terrible, Evan, Fossen (well the Fossen from last Saturday), Hicks, Tee, Furlong and maybe Jensen if we can get him an experienced strike partner to learn from, as well as the newbies signed today could form the basis of a decent team with the right guidance that can keep us in this league, I hope!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Mitch Austin being linked again, Jon Dunham loves to retweet the tweets linking Mitch to the job, did the same thing last time around too.

In a nutshell, managers who can only do a job with 'cheat mode' on need avoiding, if you have players capable of playing 2 steps higher than your level then even your gran could win games with them, their achievements in the game will never be admired or acknowledged in the same way as a manager who gets an average team playing with a real team spirit and hard to beat mentality.

I've no doubt there are plenty of players in the Harborough squad who could come in and do a job for us but I also have no doubt that they are already on better pay cheques at a lower league club than they would be here.

Apparently a shortlist has been drawn up and we are looking for someone with a knowledge of the league and players... let's get Mark Bartley at Marlow FC on the phone!
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

NN10-Nige wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:34 pm Mitch Austin being linked again, Jon Dunham loves to retweet the tweets linking Mitch to the job, did the same thing last time around too.

In a nutshell, managers who can only do a job with 'cheat mode' on need avoiding, if you have players capable of playing 2 steps higher than your level then even your gran could win games with them, their achievements in the game will never be admired or acknowledged in the same way as a manager who gets an average team playing with a real team spirit and hard to beat mentality.

I've no doubt there are plenty of players in the Harborough squad who could come in and do a job for us but I also have no doubt that they are already on better pay cheques at a lower league club than they would be here.

Apparently a shortlist has been drawn up and we are looking for someone with a knowledge of the league and players... let's get Mark Bartley at Marlow FC on the phone!
Take a step back . If he brings his harborough squad over here I wouldn’t give two F’s if he and the squad go and get pissed in the bar .
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Why would Austin want to come here. He will have Step 3 next season at Harborough and they have great facilities. I don't know much about him other than what has been posted previously. If he is on a contract we would have to pay compo. We certainly don't want to promote from within, whether it be Hicks or Maxwell or anyone else. A completely fresh approach is needed from someone respected who knows the local scene. Whoever comes in will need to offload at least half a dozen of the current squad as we have far too many already, 27 at last count.