Lost [ Sat 1st Oct ] v Hednesford Town, KO 3:00pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Re: [ Sat 1st Oct ] v Hednesford Town, KO 3:00pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by NN10-Nige »

As I see it Burgess was never going to be a good manager after his Dolman comment, so these thrashings and loses are no surprise to me, it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to know players won't be motivated by a manager who so easily feeds them to the hounds.

However, it is also important to note that it's the board who are keeping him in the job and it's the board who are allowing him to spend more money on new signings, despite seeing relatively little or no improvement - that makes the board pretty much just as responsible as Andy Burgess.

With that in mind, I feel supporters should sit back and just observe how the board handles the crisis that we are in, because right now we have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes at the club and the way the club handles this crisis will show us two things, one being if or not they are fit to run a football club and the secondly it will give us an inkling of how things will be handled in the future.

One thing I would add though, we sign 2 players on a Friday and bung them in the squad for Saturday, this is part time football so they have had no time to get to know their new team mates, if any of our fans were genuinely expecting 2 new players to make a difference to the result today without even having 2 training sessions with the squad then they are a little bit naive.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:42 pm if AB isn’t gone by next Saturday, then serious questions will need to be asked of the board.
Whats special about next Saturday, its only Tamworth! 😢
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I’m just gutted for our football club, I felt on Tuesday there was just a sad atmosphere at the ground. Everyone bar Nige wanted him to succeed, it’s awful that he hasn’t, but there is no other option now surely.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

The Board now need to show some pragmatism in this situation which is something that Andy Burgess has failed to do with his misguided and dreadful recruitment process which has been clear from early pre-season to everyone following the Club.
We have reached a point where if he is allowed to continue we could effectively be relegated by Christmas. I was told a few weeks ago that the Board has no plans to get relegated but a return of just 5 points out 10 league matches and an exit from the FA Cup at the first hurdle to a Step 5 club is not acceptable and would not be tolerated at any other club in the country.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Matt Ward & Chris McCormack

I know that you feel in a rut but it will only get deeper & deeper. All the fans are with you now and on your side , do the right thing . I would like the phone call to happen tonight but if you want leave it till tomorrow.

Get Tim back as caretaker but he only needs to take care of training Tuesday & Thursday. Get someone in place by Saturday.

I don’t see us being in a worse situation without management come Saturday, make Hicks be player manager like Leroy Lita

For the sake of the club please.

Or Burg do the decent thing and ring them. Come on you don’t want us fans hating you for sticking round , that’s not good for anyone.

Sad times in this sad world atm
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Having just got back from the match, I wasn't surprised to see all the comments on here. An absolute shocking result and performance, which has pretty much carried on from Tuesday night. Not going to individually pick players out, but have to be honest, only 2 or maybe 3 of them are good enough for step 3. From the first 20 minutes it looked like we might get something from the game as hednesford were equally as poor as us and we were getting some joy down the right hand side, ngwa and agemoh-davies linking up well. But hednesford did start to grow into the game and finally took the lead and I then thought to myself "that's game over" we're not getting back in it from here and i was right. The second half was as poor as I'd seen us this season. Errors at the back lead to goals, passing to a teammate was pretty much non-exsistant and communication was nowhere to be heard. We had our first shot on target in about the 85th minute and on another day hednesford could have bagged 10. I was speaking to a hednesford fan in the queue who said we would definitely win today and I was arguing a case back the other way that they would win. See the same guy in the stand near the end and his face was shellshocked. Probably couldn't believe there was a team worse than his! Like most have already said, burgesses time us now surely up. He made a great point years ago about how bad Ernie tippett was, but he has now surpassed that guy with his record. Tippett did actually win a few games and didn't take the beatings like he has! Only slight positives today were that Hamilton bunga is a beast of a centre half, who with time and fitness building could become a solid centre half for us. Also Miguel ngwa, worked tirelessly down the wing and got the ball across at least 10 times, but nobody was ever there to be on the end of it. Get a caretaker manager in before Saturday, it's pretty a free hit being a cup game against a title favourite (nobody would grab a win with this rabble anyway). The keague games come quickly after that with 2 games a week for 3 weeks.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I'm sure the board will make the correct decision this evening and the statement should be made this evening. There can be no surviving that today. He should really be resigning himself after that, though, not waiting to be relieved.

It's hugely regrettable that it's Burge who's overseen this but the decisions he's made over the past 6 months in relation to recruitment have set the club back years and undone so much hard work. It's awful to see us in this mess, in such decline.

I never call individual players out but enough is enough after that. Ironically it was his golden boy - Fossen - who has killed him today with an absolute Sunday league performance. To think we were hanging our hat on that bloke, Jesus wept. Fossen's done it today but over the course of the last 10 games they've all been complicit, all contributed to this mess. One of the only rays of hope this season - Jenson Cooper - had to make do with 3 minutes at the end, at 5-0 down. He favoured Connor over Cooper. He's seeing something I'm most definitely not.

What sums it all up for me - and sums up this awful period in our club's short history - is that the only person who seemed to care was the lad Bunga who only joined this morning, correctly calling out the shambles all around him including the goalkeeper I'm sorry to say. You couldn't make it up.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 84 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

To be honest, it concerns me that it's 7pm and there hasn't been an announcement yet.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Jon Dunham on Twitter....
It's over.
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Just absolutely gutted this evening and I’m not sure where we go from here. The defending for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals today was absolutely shocking. The midfield was too far away from the attack all game so we barely created a proper chance until the last 10 minutes. We don’t pass the ball well, we don’t tackle, we don’t battle and we barely shoot on goal. I don’t understand why Jenson Cooper gets so few opportunities, he’s been our best striker this season I think. The team lacks unity and spirit, it seems like they’re not playing for the manager. I don’t think the relationship between the fans and the players and the management team has ever been so poor. It’s a dark day for the club, there’s so much to fix. I’ve been saying all season to give Burge until at least the Trophy game but it looks like that decision could be made a week early… It’s a sad time.