General discussion thread (Was Match Thread 6th Aug)

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 61 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Aug ] v Needham Market, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by sussexdiamond »

The pressman wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:22 pm At the AGM, I thought they said that there was another meeting last Wednesday and that the decision should come soon after that. Apparently, there are two candidates left - one internal and one external. The club have done well to keep the identities secret. However, the same internal name keeps cropping up and if those whispers are correct then we must hope that the external candidate - who apparently I was unwittingly sitting next to at the AGM - gets the nod!
Just to reassure everyone. I was sitting next to Pressman at AGM, but I am not going to be the next Chair. Although now I think about maybe next time🤔
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: General discussion thread - was Match Thread 6th Aug

Post by fentiger79 »

Exactly, let’s focus on Saturday and all get behind the team and Burge. We all have opinions and thoughts and yes it’s going to be a challenge but it could be the start of something special. Bring it on.
real diamond
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by real diamond »

If there was anyone even considering standing for election then just by reading this forum will be enough to put them off, The amount of stick these guys get is crazy ............. No way would I put myself forward for that.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I'm still laughing at BartonRaz being "a friend of the board". I don't always agree with his views but he is one of the, if not the, most balanced members on here.
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:57 am I'm still laughing at BartonRaz being "a friend of the board". I don't always agree with his views but he is one of the, if not the, most balanced members on here.
Furthermore, isn't being a "friend of the board" a good thing? Shouldn't we all be friends, Board Members, members like myself and non-members alike?

I agree with Bozzer's comment that this thread is very depressing. Of course, it's true that it's very easy to criticize and as Pigman said, the Board can and will probably continue to make mistakes as they are human, and not only that are passionate volunteers trying to fit their commitment to the Club around work, family and other commitments.

I attended the AGM/Forum too and one of the things which I thought was good about it was that there was a respectful exchange of ideas from people who had very differing opinions. I don't think everything which was spoken about was "resolved", but at least it was spoken about and there was an understanding from all in attendance (both in the room and online) of the range of opinions amongst the membership.

Although I can't say I've read all the recent threads/posts on this forum, what I haven't seen anyone comment on is the fact that the Club had an election for the Board run this year, in which only two candidates stood for three seats. To me, that indicates that there is a problem and that as a Club we need to be finding the Board Members of the future and making sure that they are active and engaged Members today, ready to step in and serve on the Board in the future.

This thread demonstrates that we have reached a state as a Club where a significant section of the fans/members have mentally "othered" the Board and speak about them as a bunch of faceless bad guys (and girls). If we want our Club to continue to develop, rise and succeed, fixing this is on everyone.

It would be very easy for the Board to say that Members aren't currently stepping forward to take on responsibility. It would be very easy for Members to say the Board haven't done X, Y or Z. It would be easy for people to bring out specific examples such as the one which AFCRD_Dan spoke about as to why they won't volunteer/stand for election themselves (n.b. I'm not suggesting that this is what he was doing) and for fans who are not members to say that the Club/Members/Board have not made Membership attractive enough and hence they won't be joining.

However, if we get stuck on those specific/personal examples we are only harming the Club. That starts with this forum, because it shouldn't be dismissed as "just an online forum". It's older than the Club and AFC Rushden and Diamonds' formation was a direct consequence of its existence and of discussions originating on the forum. I have a strong suspicion that practically everyone linked with AFC R&D reads it, regardless of whether they say they do or not. As real diamond said, why would anyone reading it put themselves forward for election?

In my personal opinion, what AFC R&D is missing is a culture where constructive challenge, communicated in the right way, is valued from all sides and where all of us understand that the Club's problems are our problems as a wider group. This is because, ultimately, the Club's biggest and most valuable resource is us - the people connected with the Club. How effectively the Club can make use of the resource (our money, our time, our effort, knowledge and skills) is the major limiter on its success. Discord and partisanism only serve to detract from this.

We're a long way from having the culture which I'm talking about and I don't have a "silver bullet" to fix it, otherwise I would have already suggested it, but I hope others reading this post might have some constructive thoughts.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 305 times
Been Liked: 23 times

Re: General discussion thread (Was Match Thread 6th Aug)

Post by Ricky330 »

Membership is what our Club is built on. FAN OWNED. That's us , but for various reasons ( benefits/price/covid/ cost of living crisis)the number of members has dropped significantly . We've approximately half the members we had 3 years ago. This has to be addressed to get people back in the room/ wanting to feel part of the club again.
We should price it at £10 (regardless of benefits,etc) as this would be attractive to most people. I know a 1000 members paying £10 wont make us any more money than 250 members paying £25 , but it gets fans back to have a say / input ideas /etc and this can only be a good thing surely?? 4x the voices, ideas, suggestions, potential new board members??
We need ALL fans to be members because without you we can't operate the way we & you want us to.
If we don't have members we run the real risk of having NO Club
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Re: General discussion thread (Was Match Thread 6th Aug)

Post by Adrian »

Ricky330 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:25 pm Membership is what our Club is built on. FAN OWNED. That's us , but for various reasons ( benefits/price/covid/ cost of living crisis)the number of members has dropped significantly . We've approximately half the members we had 3 years ago. This has to be addressed to get people back in the room/ wanting to feel part of the club again.
We should price it at £10 (regardless of benefits,etc) as this would be attractive to most people. I know a 1000 members paying £10 wont make us any more money than 250 members paying £25 , but it gets fans back to have a say / input ideas /etc and this can only be a good thing surely?? 4x the voices, ideas, suggestions, potential new board members??
We need ALL fans to be members because without you we can't operate the way we & you want us to.
If we don't have members we run the real risk of having NO Club

Fantastic post.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 106 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

AndyKirkup wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:41 pm
SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:57 am I'm still laughing at BartonRaz being "a friend of the board". I don't always agree with his views but he is one of the, if not the, most balanced members on here.
Furthermore, isn't being a "friend of the board" a good thing? Shouldn't we all be friends, Board Members, members like myself and non-members alike?

I agree with Bozzer's comment that this thread is very depressing. Of course, it's true that it's very easy to criticize and as Pigman said, the Board can and will probably continue to make mistakes as they are human, and not only that are passionate volunteers trying to fit their commitment to the Club around work, family and other commitments.

I attended the AGM/Forum too and one of the things which I thought was good about it was that there was a respectful exchange of ideas from people who had very differing opinions. I don't think everything which was spoken about was "resolved", but at least it was spoken about and there was an understanding from all in attendance (both in the room and online) of the range of opinions amongst the membership.

Although I can't say I've read all the recent threads/posts on this forum, what I haven't seen anyone comment on is the fact that the Club had an election for the Board run this year, in which only two candidates stood for three seats. To me, that indicates that there is a problem and that as a Club we need to be finding the Board Members of the future and making sure that they are active and engaged Members today, ready to step in and serve on the Board in the future.

This thread demonstrates that we have reached a state as a Club where a significant section of the fans/members have mentally "othered" the Board and speak about them as a bunch of faceless bad guys (and girls). If we want our Club to continue to develop, rise and succeed, fixing this is on everyone.

It would be very easy for the Board to say that Members aren't currently stepping forward to take on responsibility. It would be very easy for Members to say the Board haven't done X, Y or Z. It would be easy for people to bring out specific examples such as the one which AFCRD_Dan spoke about as to why they won't volunteer/stand for election themselves (n.b. I'm not suggesting that this is what he was doing) and for fans who are not members to say that the Club/Members/Board have not made Membership attractive enough and hence they won't be joining.

However, if we get stuck on those specific/personal examples we are only harming the Club. That starts with this forum, because it shouldn't be dismissed as "just an online forum". It's older than the Club and AFC Rushden and Diamonds' formation was a direct consequence of its existence and of discussions originating on the forum. I have a strong suspicion that practically everyone linked with AFC R&D reads it, regardless of whether they say they do or not. As real diamond said, why would anyone reading it put themselves forward for election?

In my personal opinion, what AFC R&D is missing is a culture where constructive challenge, communicated in the right way, is valued from all sides and where all of us understand that the Club's problems are our problems as a wider group. This is because, ultimately, the Club's biggest and most valuable resource is us - the people connected with the Club. How effectively the Club can make use of the resource (our money, our time, our effort, knowledge and skills) is the major limiter on its success. Discord and partisanism only serve to detract from this.

We're a long way from having the culture which I'm talking about and I don't have a "silver bullet" to fix it, otherwise I would have already suggested it, but I hope others reading this post might have some constructive thoughts.
I have volunteered in the past, specifically at The Dog & Duck. Including helping set up Dale’s bar (painting), and cleaning of the changing rooms after games.

As for standing for election, I don’t have the time or know-how to be perfectly honest! So I’ll leave that to more able people. I do appreciate what those on the board have done, I just think certain situations, including the one I mentioned could have been handled differently.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by AndyKirkup »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm I have volunteered in the past, specifically at The Dog & Duck. Including helping set up Dale’s bar (painting), and cleaning of the changing rooms after games.

As for standing for election, I don’t have the time or know-how to be perfectly honest! So I’ll leave that to more able people. I do appreciate what those on the board have done, I just think certain situations, including the one I mentioned could have been handled differently.
Just to clarify I wasn't trying to dig you out personally and apologies if it came across like that.

It sounds like you have specific examples that it might be worth talking to someone at the Club about, so they can make sure any relevant lessons are learned for the future.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 106 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

AndyKirkup wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:46 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm I have volunteered in the past, specifically at The Dog & Duck. Including helping set up Dale’s bar (painting), and cleaning of the changing rooms after games.

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to dig you out personally and apologies if it came across like that.

It sounds like you have specific examples that it might be worth talking to someone at the Club about, so they can make sure any relevant lessons are learned for the future.
No need to apologise no offence taken! For actually trying to be positive about the upcoming season, I’m a friend of the board apparently! I’ll have to get out of my echo chamber, get that letter off Simon and arrange a tea party with the board to discuss! (His words!) :cheesy:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73