[ Club Statement ] Andy Peaks leaves club.

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
paulg

Re: [ Club Statement ] Andy Peaks

Post by paulg »

8 years at the helm (pretty rare in non-league circles, I’d say), and a couple of seasons before that supporting Starms, Peaksy has been a brilliant loyal servant to the club. I wish him every success at Tamworth, there’s nothing we can do if they make him a higher offer (he must have turned down several such tempting offers over the last few years). There’ll be a lot of pressure on him to be an instant success. As for us, it’s a bit too easy to criticise the board, the money in the pot is the money we are all generating (attendances etc) for the club, every single one of us as members has as much of a stake as anyone. Hopefully a quick appointment can be arranged but I assume that process won’t be easy, especially as those tasked with it are doing so on a voluntary basis outside of their day-to-day jobs etc. I remain thankful to all those who are managing, in these tough economic times, to put the time in to serve the club.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Bob's Bitch wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:33 am Maybe the summer will be the time for a collective think about the medium-term aims re: the First Team, attendances etc. I agree with everyone who said we can't spend money we don't have and I'm sure the Board would never gamble like that.
As a Community Benefit Society it's not the Board's money to gamble anyway, it's all the members of the club. It's a we, not a them and us as is often portrayed it seems.

The current board happen to be the ones currently active in that stewardship and decision making alongside those volunteers and members that contribute on the members forum or join in various volunteer/initiatives. They're voted on to make those decisions by all the members, as you can't go back to the membership constantly.

Obviously people are able to contribute varying amounts of time, and on larger groups nobody will ever agree about all the decisions, but it's generally about the club that decisions are made imho, not the individual. Life's too short.
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

In 2010 just 12 years ago we had no club. Thanks to the efforts of the Board the volunteers, players and of course Peaksy look where we are now. Level 2 football could be a reality next year. Thanks Peaksy for playing an important part in that Journey. We are at a crossroads so let's all get behind the Board, the volunteers and the Team as we turn and continue that journey
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Certainly a shock. Given he was (laughably at the time) put on a contract in the summer I assume Tamworth have paid some compensation for him.

Thanks for the last 8+ years, Andy. Ups and downs. More ups than downs, but one can only respect that overall job that's been done and the dedication that he's given the club. He's been the definition of a loyal servant and I wish him all the best at Tamworth. I certainly don't begrudge him a move to a club like that. A different sort of club in many respects. There is surely no better time to join them, they can't get any worse, can they?

With the above being said and as much as I respect the job he's done, I didn't lose sleep last night. There are some short memories on here and on social media. Barely 3-4 months ago there were constant posts on both platforms calling for him to go after a couple of years of turgid, fairly predictable football. I felt that way inwardly, but didn't vocalise it. I'd have driven him to Tamworth myself at the end of October but he turned it round in a very short space of time, like he always did down the years when he went through rough patches. I see some people on here now blaming the board for 'not backing him'. The same people that were hammering Peaks on here back in the Autumn. Make your mind up.

There is a bigger problem here though and that is the possibility of players going with him. I believe he can only take a maximum of 1 every 28 days and many here are on a contract, but there is one player in particular who has contributed so much to recent successes that isn't on contract (a dreadful decision to be quite honest). One player without whom we aren't anywhere near this position, and dare I say it, Peaks doesn't get this job at Tamworth. We all know who that player is and at this point we are relying on loyalty to a club he's only been at for a few months and a set of teammates he's only known for a short period of time. Personally I'm more worried about that than the news last night.

Moving on, as others have said, this is an opportunity for the club to do something different and can be the catalyst to turning things around. On the pitch the team is the best it's ever been, off the pitch the same can't be said and the local community aren't interested. The time has come to step things up and an inspiring appointment can help with that.

I've seen Peaks hailed as the second coming of Jesus on social media for getting the club in to the current position. Punching above its weight on a painfully low budget. I guess we're about to find out to what extend he was propping things up.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: [ Club Statement ] Andy Peaks leaves club.

Post by sussexdiamond »

Reply to BartonRaz. Your comments in your penultimate paragraph are probably the most pertinent. We really do need to engage the community more. The recent new Board additions are a step in the right direction. As was posted recently we have hundreds of youngsters playing under our banner but where are they and their parents on match days. Why did we get better attendances at the Dog and Duck. Tbh I don't blame Andy for moving on as many here are of the opinion we have gone as far as we can with the limitations we have in place. I am surprised though he has gone to Tamworth. Their fans don't seem to impressed, he could be in for a rough ride next season.
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

SimonHillington9 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:33 pm Couldnt believ it when I herd it. Can respect the manager 4 wot he’s done for the club, but not the man. Peak$y used to criticise players leaving for money, can only assume he’s left 4 the same reason. Team disrupted during a playoff push, and wot if players leave to join him. Board need to shape up or get out. We ave been outfought and outthought by Tamworth and other teams in the market. Losing your manager to a team battling relegation tell us all we need to know! Peak$y I didnt always enjoy the football, I disliked the late substitutions, but I loved the memories.
[Note: Removed some remarks linking this user to a club up the road..]

Certainly you can never call Peaksy as Peak$y, and besides it'd be Peak£y anyway if was remotely true (unless it's to his offshore account).
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:13 am Reply to BartonRaz. Your comments in your penultimate paragraph are probably the most pertinent. We really do need to engage the community more. The recent new Board additions are a step in the right direction. As was posted recently we have hundreds of youngsters playing under our banner but where are they and their parents on match days. Why did we get better attendances at the Dog and Duck. Tbh I don't blame Andy for moving on as many here are of the opinion we have gone as far as we can with the limitations we have in place. I am surprised though he has gone to Tamworth. Their fans don't seem to impressed, he could be in for a rough ride next season.
I’ve said it before, but it seems the people of Rushden and surrounding areas would rather be armchair supporters of Premier League clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea etc, than watch their local side.

It always saddens me to see fathers and sons walking around Rushden wearing those shirts.
Also this forum is a shadow of its former self, what has happened to supporters like Merlyn, balloon man, sparkle, hilltop, woody and more? Seems they ended their support once the old club went bust.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

It was pleasure and a privilege to work with Andy for 9 years or so, sometimes some people just fit with some clubs and I believe Andy did with us and us with him, to get us to step 3 from step 6 is not just a bit of luck, he clearly had something and was able to consistently assemble teams to be competitive year in and year out.
I wish him all the luck at Tamworth, they have a millionaire chairman so I read, so I am sure there will be a budget for him next season proportionate with attaining promotion.
For us, we need to see this as an opportunity, we are in a great position in the league, someone can come in and really make a name for themselves. The whole club needs our support, to all do our bit, there never has been an us and them situation, if you think there is come and get involved and change it. Lets all get behind the club and whoever is the new manager.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Well he has been given an 18 Months contract at Tamworth, first job to secure safety and next year a budget to get promotion.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

I think this is a massive loss, Peaksy has been a very successful and loyal manager who has quite frankly worked wonders on a very low budget within this league. It’s not just about the wins but also the man management of a person who has persuaded the likes of Sneds, Ty, Collard and many more to try their football with us when others were not interested or to be able to keep them when others came sniffing. Can’t tell me the likes of Bully havnt been approached over the years with how good he has been. That’s a sign of a great manager and whilst there will be lots of interest in the role it’s going to take a very special appointment to fill Peaksy shoes. My main question on this matter is that it appears Tamworth conducted their approach professionally and the club were made aware of it. So what did we do as a club to keep our most loyal and successful manager especially 10 games away from potentially reaching the playoffs?