[ Mon 30th Aug ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pressman

Re: [ Mon 30th Aug ] v Peterborough Sports, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by Pressman »

While the doom and gloom merchants are entitled to their opinions can we please put matters into perspective.

The first 4 games are/were against 4 of the 6 most fancied teams in the league and we've already beaten one of them - albeit admittedly fortuitously!

We have arguably the lowest playing budget in the league and yet - admittedly with the help of lottery money - Peaksy's extensive contact book has allowed us to sign surely the best goalkeeper in the league. Snedker has been brilliant throughout as has Garwood at right back. Two excellent signings. Dias in midfield looks class while I'm sure a fully fit Smith will bag us 20 goals this season.

As for Casey, Jones, Furlong and Diamond (playing in the hole please!) the future is bright at Hayden Road.

Lets not underestimate this afterrnoons challenge - one of the Peterborough Sports players wages is rrumoiured to equate to 8 of our squad - but it is a game of football 11 v 11 and if we get behind the team who knows what will happen. I'm a realist but my heart says 2 - 1 Diamonds.

We have made little or no noise at the first 2 home games so lets make sure that the opposition know we are there this afternoon.

Enjoy the game - remember this time last year we had no live football to watch!
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Three of Diamonds wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:20 am
YoungDiamond wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:44 pm Slow start to the season so let’s drop our best player and captain. Makes sense :cheesy:
:byebye: 😁
Snedker has been our best player by a street so far this season, and I put my reasons why. Let's see your line up then.
I agree with you , Dolman seems harsh but he’s nowhere near the pace . But I know that only matches make him fit so, which he admits himself
Last edited by diamondsteve on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

The Gurkha Streetfood team are back onsite today for their selection of Curry, Noddle and Sherpa Momo's

afcrdps2.jpg
afcrdps2.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1506 times
afcrdps1.jpg
afcrdps1.jpg (926.91 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

A very good effort by the team today, and with a bit more ambition we could have taken a point.
I think over the games so far we've learned that only playing with one up front doesn't give us enough goals to make an impact in this league. It needs to change and with effort like today the results will follow.
MOM Tshikuna.
AFC R & D member number 34
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Even though this one ended in a defeat, it was a much improved performance and possibly the best so far. Jay Williams looks a class signing in the midfield, hopefully he an duas can form a decent partnership at some point. We reduced Peterborough sports to limited attacks and the goal came as a result of switching off when the ball was pumped back in. Akubuine and tshikuna were linking up quite well and with time, the latter looks like he'll be another decent signing (my motm today). Even though he's not as good as collard, Ryan Hughes put in a good shift and in not his greatest fan. Looked like a hamstring injury for Lorraine, which could keep him out but will jones was very impressing when he came on, always looking for the ball and I think surprised the sports defence at times with his sharp awareness. He must start the next game, maybe alongside smith if the formation can be changed up. People feeling a bit down beat about the season so far, Can definatly take some positives from that. The players fought well today, im sure they will have came off the pitch at the end disappointed to come away empty handed.
diamondsteve

Post by diamondsteve »

Come on Sports didn’t even need to get out of 3rd gear . We just aren’t good enough. I noticed peaks started to make his voice heard . I cannot see where our goals are coming from this season!!!!
diamondsteve

Post by diamondsteve »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm Even though this one ended in a defeat, it was a much improved performance and possibly the best so far. Jay Williams looks a class signing in the midfield, hopefully he an duas can form a decent partnership at some point. We reduced Peterborough sports to limited attacks and the goal came as a result of switching off when the ball was pumped back in. Akubuine and tshikuna were linking up quite well and with time, the latter looks like he'll be another decent signing (my motm today). Even though he's not as good as collard, Ryan Hughes put in a good shift and in not his greatest fan. Looked like a hamstring injury for Lorraine, which could keep him out but will jones was very impressing when he came on, always looking for the ball and I think surprised the sports defence at times with his sharp awareness. He must start the next game, maybe alongside smith if the formation can be changed up. People feeling a bit down beat about the season so far, Can definatly take some positives from that. The players fought well today, im sure they will have came off the pitch at the end disappointed to come away empty handed.
So you think it was our best performance so far but resulted in a lose at home against a team in 3rd gear all game . Sums up where we are as a team and fans expect
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I've not seen Sports to see what gears they have so as far as I'm concerned we stopped them from using those gears. We can only hope that our own management see the problems and address them.
AFC R & D member number 34
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

I think it's fair that PSL are a lot better on their day than they showed today, but we can only play what's in front of us.

Much improved performance today, we at least had a go, and I think on today's showing, we should have edged it. Joel's missed two or three golden chances there which could have put us in control.

Agree that Nathan was MOTM today, great feet, strong and direct. A midfield three of Dias, Jesse and Williams would look good, Slinn well off it again. Not sure what Peaks sees in him that warrants him starting every week. He's been out worst player in all four games by a country mile. Doesn't pass well, doesn't tackle at all and his lack of commitment to get back when he lost the ball today was a disgrace.

Lorrell has to start matches, and Will Jones looked lively when he came on. As usual, the game was crying out for the change, but when Lorrell came on, was too late in the day. Peaks really needs to learn how to influence change earlier.

Expected a battering today, so to come away losing 1-0 in a game we probably should have won over the 90 minutes is definitely less frustrating than Saturday was, but still big questions over a lot of the setup.

Worth mentioning that the officials were well off it aswell. The assistant watching our line in the first half may as well have been on the other side of the fence spectating, and the debacle over not letting paddy back on after treatment was laughable. Ref getting clouted in the mouth was probably highlight of the day