[ Sat 8th Sep ] v Hayes & Yeading FC, KO 3pm FAC1RQ

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: [ Sat 8th Sep ] v Hayes & Yeading FC, KO 3pm FAC1RQ

Post by davealbon »

BartonRaz wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 pm
ParcelFace wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 pm
Formic wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 pm We were very much second best today. We rode our luck to only be one down at half-time, and could have got an equaliser through Gyasi or Lobjoit, but Hayes certainly look like a Step 3 side in the making, whereas we aren't looking as strong as last season, except perhaps when we went to three at the back with Lobjoit, Diamond and Bowen looking like they might form a decent partnership up front when we made the long awaited changes.
I really do think that playing 3 at the back suits our players with Gyasi coming back. It served us so well last season it makes sense to me for us to continue using it. I just wonder who would play on the left?
I have said openly on here and with fellow fans at games that I don’t really understand why we’ve ditched the 3-5-2 formation that served us so well last year. You only need to look at the amount of goals we’re conceding compared to last year. The only reason I could come up with is that perhaps Peaks doesn’t trust anybody to play the left sided role as diligently as Fairlamb did last season in terms of tracking back.
I'd say that's a pretty good reason! 3-5-2 only worked as well as it did last season because of the wing backs, and it was nowhere near as effective on the few occasions when Joel or Luke were missing. Joel was obviously not with us at the start of the season, and there's still no one capable of playing on the left. We saw during pre-season that Brownie and Westy will do a good defensive job in a 3-5-2 (which might be useful in certain games this season), but lack the same attacking threat.

Peaksy has been criticised in the past for putting square pegs in round holes, so I'm totally behind the decision to ditch 3-5-2, until we can find someone capable of playing on the left (and assuming Joel doesn't get his dream move).
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:45 am Apart from the concrete bunker masquerading as a bar nothing appears to have changed.
I was told that the business model for that facility was to tap in the lucrative local market for Indian weddings.

On another matter did you realise that Radio Diamonds started looping around 65 minutes immediately after you mentioned that Mitch started messing about with his mic?
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

[
On another matter did you realise that Radio Diamonds started looping around 65 minutes immediately after you mentioned that Mitch started messing about with his mic?
[/quote]

Unfortunately no, we did not realise until after the game when I rang home and my partner informed me that we had been looping . The phone has also been a problem lately so listeners have been unable to text us whenever there is a problem.So sorry that you missed so much of the game. I hope you were able to keep up to date with twitter and we will endeavor to sort out the problems by next week.
Marlowboy

Post by Marlowboy »

H&Y Fan coming in peace......again
Many thanks to you all for popping into the Concrete Bunker we lovingly call “our Bar” some good banter and hope you enjoyed the Beer at least. The previous comment about not any progress is slightly wrong, the Showers, Changing rooms and Ref’s rooms are almost up and running. There has been a lot of work carried out, mostly behind the scenes and obviously a lot more to do but we are getting there, all be it slowly. You think our Food and Beer prices are high, try getting a builders quote, it would blow your mind!
Good luck for the rest of the Season, never good to get knocked out this early in the Cup, and hope you manage to get your own Ground soon. Maybe see you next Season.......or in the Trophy, now there’s a thought! :drinks:
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Marlowboy wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:05 am Good luck for the rest of the Season, never good to get knocked out this early in the Cup, and hope you manage to get your own Ground soon. Maybe see you next Season.......or in the Trophy, now there’s a thought! :drinks:
Perish the thought....four straight defeats!! :ermm:
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

A very bland performance all round, they wanted it more, they got it and they deserved it.

Now we can concentrate on Hillier Cup and try to bring it back to part of Northants it should belong.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

Being a football data collector for a sports data company unfortunately I can’t get to the amount of Diamonds matches that I used to. From the matches I’ve seen so far though we seem to desperately miss the first choice central defensive pairing of Ashton and Dolman. So far due to their injuries it’s been the case that either one or the other plays but not both. Attacking wise we have some good players and I think once we nail the formation we’ll certainly get things right.

Having caused numerous shocks against higher opposition in the FA Cup since our reformation, it feels awful now the boot is on the other foot. Was particularly disappointing to hear about the manner in which we went out. Peaksy hinted at the end of the interview he might shake it up a bit and give some other players a chance which is fair enough.

Whilst it doesn’t quite have the same pull as the FA Cup, with some decent prize money on offer the FA Trophy is now a massive competition for us this season. There are some big non-league names and clubs waiting if we can get through a few rounds. On a sidenote I actually covered Brackley vs Hereford on Saturday. Luke Fairlamb certainly looks an assured Step 2 player and played very well. He is however competing with Glenn Walker for the left wing starting berth.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am [
Unfortunately no, we did not realise until after the game when I rang home and my partner informed me that we had been looping . The phone has also been a problem lately so listeners have been unable to text us whenever there is a problem.So sorry that you missed so much of the game. I hope you were able to keep up to date with twitter and we will endeavor to sort out the problems by next week.
[/quote]

Yeah I txted in a couple of times to tell you it was looping . Also sent a msg on Twitter , and Mitch 😂
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

diamondsteve wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 am Yeah I txted in a couple of times to tell you it was looping . Also sent a msg on Twitter , and Mitch 😂
I also sent a message but suspected that Radio Diamonds Mobile number was not up and running as it’s usually mentioned at the start of each broadcast. An excellent broadcast by Bruce, Doug and Mitch up to the looping issue despite it being clear that the team on the pitch were clearly ‘not at the races’.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

I was listening to Radio Diamonds and it started looping after 65 minutes :ohmy: