[ Sat 24th Feb ] v Egham Town, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Sat 24th Feb ] v Egham Town, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Feb ] v Egham Town, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

Post by bozzer »

Is anyone going who would be able to help with the filming?
AFC R&D Member No. 67
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Interesting stat for this fixture.....in three games against Egham we are yet to score!!!

Lets change that tomorrow and hope the game goes ahead.

According to todays ET Luke Fairlamb would not have played on Tuesday due to illness. I wonder if he will be fit to start tomorrow.
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

With so many games being called off, (in past weeks) is there any (planned) pitch inspection for Egham game, or is it fine to play footy. :biggrin:
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

We were totally unrecognisable from the team of recent months until the last 10 minutes or so. Individually there were some shocking performances, a strangely high amount of them too. I could hardly believe the way we were defending at times.

Important to take a step back and consider the run we have just been on, the like of which I don’t think I’ve seen in my lifetime. It was going to come to an end at some point, it just shouldn’t have been today.

Incredibly all 4 teams at the summit lost, so perhaps today can act as a kick up the backside for some, in the knowledge that no real harm has been done.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 77 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Given other results, it's almost a let off. Shame to lose the unbeaten run but it was going to happen.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Egham seem to be something of a bogey team for us; two 0-0 draws and two defeats in our four games against them to date. Hopefully we won't be seeing them again after this season!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

BartonRaz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 pm We were totally unrecognisable from the team of recent months until the last 10 minutes or so. Individually there were some shocking performances, a strangely high amount of them too. I could hardly believe the way we were defending at times.

Important to take a step back and consider the run we have just been on, the like of which I don’t think I’ve seen in my lifetime. It was going to come to an end at some point, it just shouldn’t have been today.

Incredibly all 4 teams at the summit lost, so perhaps today can act as a kick up the backside for some, in the knowledge that no real harm has been done.
It was a real surprise to see a performance like that on the road. We've been so impressive in the away games I've seen this season, but today was awful. As BR mentions, so many players were poor - in fact several of our most dependable players must have had their worst game of the season - if not their Diamonds career. It reminded me of the games at Beaconsfield and Potters Bar two years ago, which had a similar "didn't see that coming" feeling on the final whistle.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

davealbon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm Egham seem to be something of a bogey team for us; two 0-0 draws and two defeats in our four games against them to date. Hopefully we won't be seeing them again after this season!
Actually it's worse than that! We have lost three times. They did double over us in our first southern league season, 0-1 at home and 0-2 away. At least today we did score a goal!!!!!
Three Nips
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Three Nips »

I'm not sure I've seen such a terrible defensive performance from a Diamonds team since we were hammered by a pretty awful Crawley team at their place nearly 10 years ago (We want 11 Tom Shaws!). Jacko especially looked to be completely found out and Bully's throw-ins smacked of someone who wasn't used to being in that position.

I think this week in particular would have been a good time (last Tuesday would have sufficed if it wasn't for a questionable decision to postpone a match on a perfectly playable pitch) to give the likes of Punter, Gilchrist & Ford a bit of game time with the run in we have having so many needless abandonments to make up in the last couple of months of the season.

Lets be honest, after the performance today, I would find it difficult to quantify what Jacko and Curtis (for all that they have proven their worth in the past/earlier in the season) have done to deserve their berth in the starting XI.

Today, we could have done with a bit more defensive solidity in the middle and the midfield was largely non-existent. Especially at home and against the lesser lights, I'd give Ford a chance to show what he can do in the middle of the park, for me he could give a bit more oomph going forward and may also allow Farrell a bit more freedom to get on the ball a bit deeper, something that could prove to be a game-breaker. There aren't many players that have the ability to unlock a game from deep (I'd avoid the use of the word 'playmaker') at this level, and we certainly have one of those in Farrell.

It's easy to criticise after one defeat in a long time but it has been coming after a fairly poor performance away at Arlesey and a battling win at home to Chalfont last week. This loss may have come at the right time to avoid complacency and I'd hope we don't approach a game in the same manner next time out.

I'm still confident we'll earn promotion, and as league winners at that, but a bounce back is certainly called for next week (if by some miracle the pitch is passed fit) and that would certainly be the catalyst at the right time to see us there!
Everywhere we go....