Ground Grading 2018-19

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Ground Grading 2018-19

Post by Trek »

Interesting tweet from Wisbech Town:-

“Ground grading has been suspended for 2018-19 promotion to allow for the creation of new Step 3 & 4 leagues. Promotion is pretty much compulsory!”

Can anyone confirm that this is correct and, if so, eases the need to carry out work at Hayden Road for the immediate future if we achieve Step 3 level next season?
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: Ground Grading 2018-19

Post by Sid »

I think this applies to step 5 clubs being promoted to step 4. Therefore anyone in the UCL Premier for instance, finishing in the top two will be promoted regardless of if they like it or not! It seems to be mainly aimed at the Northern League which almost never promotes, partly for geographical reasons, but mainly because they like dominating the FA Vase.
I don't believe it has any relevance to us, there is not a huge grading difference between 3 and 4 anyway and almost no club has ever been refused promotion.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Incidentally Leicester Nirvana started the season looking as though they would win the UCL by a mile, Then they went on an awful run including loosing 5-1 to struggling Sleaford. Presumably this was their fight to avoid promotion :biggrin:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

There was a lengthy article about this in the NLP a couple of weeks ago, which was referenced on this forum. As Sid has said, the suspension on ground grading regulations seems to be just for clubs being promoted from Step 5 to Step 4, as a result of the need to promote much more clubs than usual. As a result, Step 5 league winners and (I think) most of the runners-up are being forced up.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Thanks for that clarification.

I recall a year ago, at the Ground Share Options Meeting, that Ralph mentioned that all dressing rooms had to be a minimum size of 18 square metres by the 31st March 2018 and this would need to be addressed at Hayden Road.

Does anyone know what is the latest situation on this issue as I don’t think it was discussed at the last Members Forum?
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 pm There was a lengthy article about this in the NLP a couple of weeks ago, which was referenced on this forum. As Sid has said, the suspension on ground grading regulations seems to be just for clubs being promoted from Step 5 to Step 4, as a result of the need to promote much more clubs than usual. As a result, Step 5 league winners and (I think) most of the runners-up are being forced up.
"being forced up" is not really a fair comment. According to the NLP article the FA informed all leagues and clubs of the planned new structure prior to this season and all accepted it (however reluctantly in some cases). For the new system to work a degree of coercion is necessary. The ultimate goal is a pyramid of 1-2-4-8-16 and I am sure that all agree that is a very sensible way forward.

If Step 5 clubs such as Leicester Nirvana don't want to be promoted then they know what to do and maybe they are doing just that! Whereas Wisbech and Newport Pagnell clearly are ambitious.

I do not envy the FA committee responsible for allocating clubs to the new Step 3 and 4 divisions next season. It is a logistical nightmare that cannot be fully addressed until all promotion and relegation issues are settled.

Currently the South East is top heavy with clubs and the South West is certainly sparse when it comes to Step 3.

I envisage a Step 3 SW Division which incorporates the M5 corridor up to the West Midlands. For Diamonds and K*ttering next season we could well be in an East Midlands/East Anglia division. Some current Ryman League clubs could join us such as Lowestoft and Market Needham.

Just how far south the Northern League will drop, is again dependent on relegation issues. At present 4 northern clubs could be relegated from the National League which would impact further down the line.
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

I thought they were introducing a Midlands League? Three Leagues at Step 3?
AFC R&D Member Number 444
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

UttoDiamond wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 pm I thought they were introducing a Midlands League? Three Leagues at Step 3?
No. The idea is to add an additional league at Step 3 and Step 4 next season and an additional league at Step 4 in the future.

For next season it will be 1-2 4-7.14

The Southern League will be responsible for administering the Step 3 Division and the Ryman League will administer the Step 4 League.

Just who goes where is the big question!
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

Oh right, ok! So this could be bollocks then??

AFC R&D Member Number 444
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

UttoDiamond wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 pm Oh right, ok! So this could be bollocks then??

Its not unreasonable.
I rather like this spreadsheet as it gives us quite a few local derbies.
But its best to wait and see, but a bit of speculation is always fun and trying to second guess the FA is quite tricky going on past allocations.