PS3 Red Light of Death...

Sports, jokes, news and general waffle.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

PS3 Red Light of Death...

Post by BartonRaz »

My PS3 has just suffered the 'red light of death'.

A friend of mine who works in electronics has said he'll fix it on Monday, just wondering if anybody had been successful with any homemade remedies?
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 76 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Re: PS3 Red Light of Death...

Post by Rushdenjim »

Never knew a PS3 had such a thing . Always thought it was the yellow light of death - which ive had before and had to send it away for repairs
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

I think we could be talking about the same thing. A very brief yellow light followed by a blinking red light?

TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

BartonRaz wrote:My PS3 has just suffered the 'red light of death'.

A friend of mine who works in electronics has said he'll fix it on Monday, just wondering if anybody had been successful with any homemade remedies?
Happened to me a few weeks ago, took it to Entertainment Base in Rushden who siad they could fix it but they could'nt and because they'd removed the warrenty label, i would'nt be able to take it anywhere else! :evil: :evil: Had to buy a second hand one off the shelf but i did'nt pay anything for my original console as i got it free from the Carphone Warehouse when i took out a phone contract with them some four years ago! :D
diamond.jack99

Post by diamond.jack99 »

I got the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) a year ago and fixed it myself using a Youtube guide. In all honesty, it wasn't worth while doing, as it took a lot of time to get to the actual problem which is in the circuit and I used the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste to fix it. In the end, as the fix I did was only a temporary one and the YLOD can reoccur at anytime; the best option is to get it properly fixed or purchase a new console.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

I had this problem about 18 months ago. I also work for an electronics company and got our rework team to fix it for me using 'proper' methods (rather than just heating the BGAs with a heat gun). It worked fine for between 1 and 2 months before developing the same fault again, so I got it fixed again only for the same to happen another month of 2 later. I persisted with it for a while, having it reworked 4 times in total, but after that it became intermittent and was 50/50 whether or not it would work for more than a couple of minutes each time I turned it on. I gave up at that point and bought a new one!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

Friend of mine managed to fix it Friday night which was good, and the PS3 is back working (although there's now an issue with the bluetooth as the PS3 doesn't recognise the controllers unless they're plugged in). He said the more aggressive he is with the repair the more likely it is to last for a longer period, although there are risks attached to that so for the time being he's done the bare minimum.

I'm buying an auxiliary fan that plugs into one of the USB slots to try and prevent it happening again soon.

I've had my PS3 for over 5 years now so I think i've done pretty well to last this long, although it's ridiculous that this should happen at all.

BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

It's literally just happened again, so the initial repair lasted just over 4 months despite buying an auxiliary fan. Going to attempt to get it fixed again. ;)

Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 76 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Yeah once my PS3 broke the first time, it was never the same again. It hasn't broke again but its so slow in download speed and so noisy i don't use it much anymore. Waiting for PS4 now ;)
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

Rushdenjim wrote:Yeah once my PS3 broke the first time, it was never the same again. It hasn't broke again but its so slow in download speed and so noisy i don't use it much anymore. Waiting for PS4 now ;)
The friend who fixed my PS3 previously has advised a second repair is pretty pointless. He's offered me a brand new, unused and boxed PS3 for £125 so i've decided to buy that and give up on my old one.

If I sell the controller I don't need, and my old PS3 for spares/repairs on Ebay I should be able to recover some of that, and it'll tide me over until the PS4 is released.