[ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 87 times

Re: [ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Bit of a quiet match thread this week...

Here's a link to Jon Dunham's article - via twitter. "Royston trip brings back memories for Diamonds"

https://twitter.com/JonDunhamNT/status/ ... 8524984320
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Probably quiet because folk haven’t got over the disappointment of last week and the manner in which we left the FAC - difficult to be too excitable after that!

Tomorrow, though, is another day !!

I can’t make it tomorrow as I have to work all day, but I’m expecting/hoping for a reaction !!

Fingers crossed we’ll be back to winning ways and can put last week behind us!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Line up will be interesting. I expect three that finished the match up front to start. Lobjoit, Bowen and Diamond. Plus John Dean replacing Joel.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

Gutted to finish work and see that result - anyone who went last week and today care to comment? An improved performance?
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Pigman wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm Gutted to finish work and see that result - anyone who went last week and today care to comment? An improved performance?
It's very difficult to judge the players on today's performance, because to do that you'd need to know what the game plan was, and I have no idea what that was. We had quite a lot of possession, but wasted so much of it, such that their keeper had very little to do. Further mystery came why it took so long to change things. I note the twitter suggested Tom Lorraine was offside when he missed the sitter, but he didn't look it, and I didn't see a flag.

Joel Gyasi didn't have his best game last week, but could have won a penalty and hit the woodwork - yet today he had to warm the bench when we had no width apart from the overlapping runs of Zack Reynolds.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I’m not going to go overboard with the criticism but that looked like two poor sides out there today and we were marginally the poorer. We’re not really doing anything very well at the moment and need to get back to basics. No league match again now for a couple of weeks so unfortunately we’ll have to stew on that frustrating result.

I agree that Lorraine wasn’t offside - I was bang in line with it. The miss was a poor one there’s no doubt about that.

The referee handled the game very badly in my opinion, epitomised by him adding 4 minutes of additional team despite the fact there was a 5 minute stoppage (what for I couldn’t work out), 6 substitutions and 2 goals in the half.

Speaking of substitutions, ours were way too late again. Ty Ward spent about 20 minutes stripped and waiting to come on and John Dean could have had a big impact on that game had he been introduced earlier IMO.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Diamond88

Post by Diamond88 »

Really didn't think we could be as bad as last Saturday and was hoping for some sort of reaction but we just didn't really get going not helped by players being played out of position and Clifton being dropped for no apparent reason. Unfortunately we just look tactically inept not for the first
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Not good enough again. Yes, Lorraine should of scored and the opposing keeper pulled off a great save but we were too wasteful in possession again. Not sure why it took 80 minutes to finally make a change. Dan Clifton was dropped because he's young and the easy option although he should be starting after a decent run of games and should of never come off last week. Lack of tactics and playing style costing us again but nothing seems to change during the game to adapt to the style of the game. Dean and Clifton used as the scapegoats in my opinion, both put in 100% every game and produce decent performances yet seem to be left out for players who perhaps deserve to be on the bench. Start with the players best suited for that given role, Lorraine will give his all every game and has started the season well but ultimately he isn't a winger. Ben Diamond should be higher up the pitch instead of picking up the ball on the halfway line. Frustrating afternoon, need 3 points vs St Ives.
TwinkleToesTomlin
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Strange game.

I said to those around me first half I predict that 80% of games this season are going to be decided by the odd goal. Again, today’s game could’ve gone either way. As fans, we need to realise that we’re not going to create countless chances every game in this league. It’s going to be one of fine margins due to the step up in quality, particularly the oppositions athletism and the pressing off the ball. It’s so much harder to retain the ball at this level, so when we do work it into the final third we MUST look after it better. I think we’ve lacked a bit of composure in the last couple of games and we’ve got to learn to be more clinical.

We started quite brightly today but as soon as they won a free kick in a dangerous area we look vulnerable. (Back stick again!) Thought their 5 was class today.

I must say though, I don’t expect the world this season and I’m thoroughly enjoying the step up in quality. We could finish anywhere from 8th-16th this season IMO we just need to take our chances and defend balls into the box better.
Last edited by TwinkleToesTomlin on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.