[ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: [ Sat 15th Sep ] v Royston Town, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

Post by BartonRaz »

diamondsteve wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm Definitely agree with trying to find a tall cb . So many goals scored at this level are by set pieces. We need to be the first to balls for change in defence and attack. Sooooo anyone know of one??? Wiling to play for the mighty diamonds for the love of the game :drinks: :biggrin:
Forgetting the fact that a formation change may solve the issue I think there's some merit in this and did actually say as much when we were discussing what players we needed this season in a thread at the start of the season.

The names I threw up on that thread were:

Jordan Gent (Cambridge City)
Gavin Hoyte (was at Biggleswade Town now at Bedford Town)
Ryan Frater (AFC Dunstable)
Steve Gentle (was at Bedford Town, think he might have stopped playing now)

I appreciate that most/all of these aren't going to be technically at the same level as some of our current players, but the 6'7" central defender for Royston on Saturday showed that you don't need to have an ounce of footballing ability to be effective when you're that size.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

If we accept we have been unable to play with the same formation that was so successful last season, I'm still not clear what formation is intended. I thought we did better than we normally do with 4-3-3 when we had Hicks, Farrell and Westbrook in midfield, with Lorraine. Bowen and Diamond up front for the Redditch game and the first part of the Biggleswade game. We haven't played with that midfield 3 since I don't think, and although we might have played those 3 forwards on Saturday, it was such an odd formation it wasn't really comparable, as we also played Hopkins.

if we had that front 6 in front of a back 4 of Reynolds, Punter, Dolman and Brown it would be as close as possible to the Redditch line-up.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

It was good to see Reynolds getting a start on Saturday and MOTM. He needs Dean in front of him as the two combine so well. Probably seen the last of Albie, I just don't think he fits into our way of playing although not sure what our way of playing is!. :hmmm: