[ Sat 8th Sep ] v Hayes & Yeading FC, KO 3pm FAC1RQ

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 8th Sep ] v Hayes & Yeading FC, KO 3pm FAC1RQ

Post by Formic »

We were very much second best today. We rode our luck to only be one down at half-time, and could have got an equaliser through Gyasi or Lobjoit, but Hayes certainly look like a Step 3 side in the making, whereas we aren't looking as strong as last season, except perhaps when we went to three at the back with Lobjoit, Diamond and Bowen looking like they might form a decent partnership up front when we made the long awaited changes.

It looks like Hayes are still spending their money on the pitch rather behind the scenes.
Last edited by Formic on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

As mentioned I didn’t go so can’t comment on the performance, but to go out of the FA Cup so early on is bitterly disappointing, especially considering the heightened prize money which we’ve lost out on.

We’ve been really fortunate with some easy ties (on paper) over recent seasons but that certainly hasn’t been the case this year.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

Formic wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 pm We were very much second best today. We rode our luck to only be one down at half-time, and could have got an equaliser through Gyasi or Lobjoit, but Hayes certainly look like a Step 3 side in the making, whereas we aren't looking as strong as last season, except perhaps when we went to three at the back with Lobjoit, Diamond and Bowen looking like they might form a decent partnership up front when we made the long awaited changes.
I really do think that playing 3 at the back suits our players with Gyasi coming back. It served us so well last season it makes sense to me for us to continue using it. I just wonder who would play on the left?
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

I’ll choose my words carefully - I’m very disappointed tonight, both with the overall performance and with going out of the FAC in such a limp way! That’s all I’m going to say about that !!

One positive - we can concentrate on the league very early this year eh? :ermm:
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Basil

Post by Basil »

Couldn’t agree more Jim! Their no 3 must of had horrendous BO and halitosis as we didn’t get within 10 ft of him all afternoon!!! We were out paced and out classed in every department! We’ve got used to relying on Ben Heath and he made some cracking saves today too but their second goal was a disaster!!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No: 26
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

ParcelFace wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 pm
Formic wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 pm We were very much second best today. We rode our luck to only be one down at half-time, and could have got an equaliser through Gyasi or Lobjoit, but Hayes certainly look like a Step 3 side in the making, whereas we aren't looking as strong as last season, except perhaps when we went to three at the back with Lobjoit, Diamond and Bowen looking like they might form a decent partnership up front when we made the long awaited changes.
I really do think that playing 3 at the back suits our players with Gyasi coming back. It served us so well last season it makes sense to me for us to continue using it. I just wonder who would play on the left?
I have said openly on here and with fellow fans at games that I don’t really understand why we’ve ditched the 3-5-2 formation that served us so well last year. You only need to look at the amount of goals we’re conceding compared to last year. The only reason I could come up with is that perhaps Peaks doesn’t trust anybody to play the left sided role as diligently as Fairlamb did last season in terms of tracking back.

ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

BartonRaz wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 pm
I have said openly on here and with fellow fans at games that I don’t really understand why we’ve ditched the 3-5-2 formation that served us so well last year. You only need to look at the amount of goals we’re conceding compared to last year. The only reason I could come up with is that perhaps Peaks doesn’t trust anybody to play the left sided role as diligently as Fairlamb did last season in terms of tracking back.
Is Fairlamb playing consistently for Brackley at the minute?
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

ParcelFace wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:47 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Is Fairlamb playing consistently for Brackley at the minute?
Wasn’t at first but seems to have forced his way in and has started the last couple of games. He started today in a 2-0 win against Hereford.

Diamond88

Post by Diamond88 »

How on earth is Farrell still managing to play the full 90 is a mystery he has been off the pace all season Clifton was probably the most effective midfielder yesterday just an easy choice to bring off and don't even mention Joel how he thinks he can play at a higher level is a joke he'd struggle to get in our landlords starting 11!
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I agree that a return to 3-5-2 is called for. A place has to be found for Dean. Yesterday was the first time Lobjoit has looked good. With Diamond and Bowen fit they could make a strong effective frontline.That ground is still absolutely soulless. Apart from the concrete bunker masquerading as a bar nothing appears to have changed. All their money, if they have any with such meagre crowds, is being spent on players and the pitch which was excellent. Does anyone know what the pre match row was about between Bully and the mouthy Hayes official.
Last edited by sussexdiamond on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.