[ Sat 18th Aug ] v Stourbridge FC, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: [ Sat 18th Aug ] v Stourbridge FC, KO 3pm ESPC AWAY

Post by BartonRaz »

Another unlucky defeat. We were maybe worthy of a point but didn’t really do enough at the top end of the pitch to fully warrant it. Maybe Ben Diamond would have been the difference for us, who knows! We certainly weren’t lacking in the effort or commitment with Jack Ashton leading by example on that front.

When Bowen is unable to hold the ball up - which was the case today - he becomes a bit of a passenger and was isolated at times. We’ve obviously had to throw Gyasi in straight away and make changes to the team because of injuries and absences, but we might need to look in the week at how we can get the two wide players closer to Bowen if we’re going to play with that formation again.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Stourbridge_Diamond
Has Liked: 10 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Stourbridge_Diamond »

Stourbridge were a decent side, and I'd be surprised if they don't finish top 6.

We were competitive throughout most of the match and a bit of a more experienced side would have seen out that pressure at the end to hold onto a draw. I think the injuries were the difference today, the new lads coming on didn't quite have the time to bed.

Onwards and upwards, play like that against mid-table teams and we'll be fine.

A bit galling with the late nature of their goal (and from my angle I'm not convinced it had cross the line before the diamonds defender blocked it).
The artist formerly known as Southstand
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Another creditable performance, although we weren’t quite up to the level of our opponents. Jack Ashton was my choice for MoM before the rash challenge that was punished with the winning goal if not the red card it might have brought. I was puzzled by our second substitution, as we ended up playing almost 4-2-4 as a result. We should have brought Ross Oukton on to shore up the midfield - as a third sub if necessary.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

If Zak Reynolds was available he should have replaced Sam. We are certainly missing Liam organising the defence. Always disappointed to lose but can't really have any complaints. That gate of 561 is a joke. If you allow for at least 100 Diamond supporters that means they lost about 250 since Tuesday.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Reynolds was on hols.
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Formic

Post by Formic »

Attendance 1733 for their local derby against Halesowen tonight is pretty impressive.
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Had they not played one another for a long time? Great turn out.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Formic

Post by Formic »

On the subject of West Midlands attendances, Alvechurch had 730 for their FA Cup game against Bromsgrove, but the Alvechurch manager was disappointed with the turnout, commenting "...I was a bit disappointed by the size of the crowd. Maybe some of the Bromsgrove supporters realised that we always beat them and didn't bother turning up" - http://www.bromsgroveadvertiser.co.uk/s ... erby-wins/
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

therushden wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:27 pm Had they not played one another for a long time? Great turn out.
They were in the same league last year and got similar crowds, the No. 9 Derby as they call it is a big deal , dare I say maybe one of the biggest derbies in NL like the Weymouth v Dorchester derby in the Premier South that got 1800 the other day. Got to say it's pretty amazing that any game at the 7th tier of English football can attract such crowds these days, hopefully our own derbies will attract similar numbers!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308