[ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Next up, the final Pre-Season Friendly at Bishop's Stortford.

http://www.afcdiamonds.com/pre-season-fixtures-2018-19

sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

Post by sussexdiamond »

very pleasing scoreline. Great to see Dean score his first for the club, many more to follow I am sure. Ward seems to have made a very good impression also. Reynolds will he or wont he sign, sadly I think the latter is more likely.Who were the "unknowns"

without wishing to take anything away from the lads, just how good or poor are B. Stortford with no wins in their pre season games.

Pretty near impossible to predict next weeks starting line-up.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:49 pm Without wishing to take anything away from the lads, just how good or poor are Bishop's Stortford with no wins in their pre season games.
They're a decent outfit, I would be happy enough to play them every week.

They must be in a lot of financial bother and fielding players who just want to play football for free, they have been in decline for the last 2/3 maybe 4 years.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

I can't imagine Jamie Cureton would be playing for nothing, but you never know.

Stunning goal by John Dean, Ty Ward's wasn't bad either. Can't wait for the proper stuff to start now!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Now I don’t attend PSF matches but do follow the action on twitter but, I must admit, I was a tad surprised that many of the players who I would have expected to feature in our last friendly match weren’t present this afternoon as it’s usual for the manager to be getting a firm idea on what his starting XI/ playing squad is likely to be this coming Saturday. :ermm:

From Twitter:-
Today’s line up Heath, Hicks, Casey, Punter, Brown, Oulton, Clifton, Ward, Lorraine, Bowen, Diamond. Subs are Dean, Boateng, Barratt, Pickworth

So no Westwood, Dolman, Ashton, Westbrook, Ford, Farrell and Curtis (yet to make an appearance despite signing). I understand that a few may be taking a break as it is the summer school holiday period. :hmmm:

It does seem a surprise to me that there were so many trialists present at this late stage although we have confirmed that Danny Clifton has signed. Chief Boateng played for Corby Town the other evening and he is still being given an opportunity although I don’t recall him making any sort of impression on previous appearances and don’t consider him Step 3 level.

Nevertheless a resounding 4-0 win against a fellow Step 3 side but I don’t get carried away by wins/losses in pre-season.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:18 am Now I don’t attend PSF matches but do follow the action on twitter but, I must admit, I was a tad surprised that many of the players who I would have expected to feature in our last friendly match weren’t present this afternoon as it’s usual for the manager to be getting a firm idea on what his starting XI/ playing squad is likely to be this coming Saturday. :ermm:

From Twitter:-
Today’s line up Heath, Hicks, Casey, Punter, Brown, Oulton, Clifton, Ward, Lorraine, Bowen, Diamond. Subs are Dean, Boateng, Barratt, Pickworth

So no Westwood, Dolman, Ashton, Westbrook, Ford, Farrell and Curtis (yet to make an appearance despite signing). I understand that a few may be taking a break as it is the summer school holiday period. :hmmm:
Westwood and Dolman carrying slight injuries I believe so they’ve probably been left out as a precaution. I think Curtis has a more long-term injury although perhaps somebody more ITK can confirm.

With regards to Ashton, Westbrook, Ford or Farrell I have no idea and you can also add Gilchrist to that. I find it hard to believe that the likes of Ashton, Westbrook and Farrell are leaving so presume there’s a reason, but I agree it does seem odd to have some key players absent for the final pre-season game.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

Aston and Westbrook also injured although the later I believe is on holiday. A number of the others mentioned also on holiday. Acadamy players were drafted in and I believe the young lad at No6 is from Rugby Town.

Certainly some good performances and considering many senior players were out I thought we gelled very well as a team. Another headache for Peaksy. I to have no idea what the full starting 11 will be. I hope it is not dictated by injuries though
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Dbsl wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:51 am I believe the young lad at No6 is from Rugby Town.
Was that Danny Clifton who we have subsequently signed?
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

No I don't believe so. Danny played in midfield. No 8 I think.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

Highlights courtesy of BSTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjJUytOuD8

What a goal from John Dean! The tackle, the run, the finish, it may only be pre-season, but that's goal of the season stuff there already, hope to see a lot more of him this season, talented lad!

Top result and performance that judging by the highlights, just what we need going into next Saturday.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308