[ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

Post by Trek »

Dbsl wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 am No I don't believe so. Danny played in midfield. No 8 I think.
OK, it seems Danny Clifton came up through the Cobblers Academy and was given a pro contract under Chris Wilder’s tenure and signed the same day as Warburton’s son.

I like the idea that we’re signing well schooled footballers in the 20-25 age category who have something to prove rather than a host of journeymen Step 3/4 older players in the Weir-Daley mould.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: [ Sat 4th Aug ] v Bishop's Stortford, KO 3pm PSF AWAY

Post by davealbon »

Trek wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:29 pm I like the idea that we’re signing well schooled footballers in the 20-25 age category who have something to prove rather than a host of journeymen Step 3/4 older players in the Weir-Daley mould.
Absolutely. We're not going to be able to compete with the big spenders at the top of the league now, so our best chance of success is to pick up young, talented, local players, like Diamond, Dean and Clifton, and help develop them. If successful, it may mean they move on to bigger and better things after a season or two, e.g. Gyasi and Fairlamb, but I'd rather that than a RR or SWD just here chasing another pay packet.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297