[ Tue 31st July ] v Kempston Rovers, KO 7:45pm PSF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Tue 31st July ] v Kempston Rovers, KO 7:45pm PSF AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Next pre-season match - at Kempston Rovers on Tuesday night.

sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Tue 31st July ] v Kempston Rovers, KO 7:45pm PSF AWAY

Post by sussexdiamond »

Hoping for a much better performance tonight particularly from forward players. So far not seen a lot to get too hopeful about.Not many games left now for any new signings to settle in. Still not convinced about Hall, he does not look to bothered at times. Need to give Dean some full games with Reynolds behind him. On Saturday they were really exciting together. Also Cockings needs Chance to show what he can do.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Agree about Hall, either St Neots or St Ives fans used to say he was inconsistent but on his good days he can be a match winner.

A lot of that St Neots team from years ago were on big wages, so probably worth signing but only at the right price.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

im going to be a bit controversial ,,,ive been a tad disappointed with our performances so far, Newport Pagnell was ok and Brackley,,,im kind of worried we havent been able to attract some decent/bigger signings.is this because players know there is no point coming to us because its obvious we wont be pushing for promotion .so far,for me,too many players playing in wrong positions,and shoehorned into a makeshift lineup,as though they have been given game time ,so they don't go elsewhere . we certainly (as mentioned before) need to replace the wingers ,hicks and hally haven't lit my fire yet,reynolds was good against Newport ,,,,,I guess im going to have to be more patient and give us time to get going,,we need a strong performance tonight ,,fingers crossed :good:
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

I don't think you are being controversial just realistic. Will tonight's line up reveal any surprises?
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

So have we seen the last of Hall? Hopefully Reynolds will sign. Who is Ward?
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

discodunk wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:02 pm im going to be a bit controversial ,,,ive been a tad disappointed with our performances so far, Newport Pagnell was ok and Brackley,,,im kind of worried we havent been able to attract some decent/bigger signings.is this because players know there is no point coming to us because its obvious we wont be pushing for promotion .so far,for me,too many players playing in wrong positions,and shoehorned into a makeshift lineup,as though they have been given game time ,so they don't go elsewhere . we certainly (as mentioned before) need to replace the wingers ,hicks and hally haven't lit my fire yet,reynolds was good against Newport ,,,,,I guess im going to have to be more patient and give us time to get going,,we need a strong performance tonight ,,fingers crossed :good:
Think your comments are fair Dunk and probably what most fans are thinking inwardly or otherwise. Don’t think tonight’s game will have done much to enthuse any of us either albeit there were some regular players not involved at all - Dolman, Westbrook, Lorraine - plus Brown and Punter were on the bench for most of it. I’m guessing the game was being used primarily to give those on the fringes a chance to impress with the likes of Diamond, Ashton and Farrell thrown in to give us half a chance.

Usually a game goes to s**t when wholesale substitutions are made but tonight we got a lot better. Shawn Richards and the trialist Ward looked handy and John Dean continues to impress. With one game left of pre-season I think it’s safe to say I have absolutely no idea how we’re going to line up against Redditch.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

I would agree with most comments. As I stood watching a dreadful game for the most part. I really questioned what the purpose of the match was for us. Did we learn anything?

On reflection this morning I hope we did.

For the last 15 minutes or so, we actually played with width for the first time in a lot of Minutes of the Friendlies. We looked a totally different team going forward. We made more chances in that period of the game than the rest of the match. It is no coincidence that we also scored during that period.

Ward looked useful but I am afraid a lot of the other players on the pitch will be 'bench warmers' at most which questions our normal 'strength in depth'

I wonder if Kempston's Number 7 has signed for them. He dictated play for most of the game from the Wing. A good passer of the ball, tricky and confident. Our defenders couldn't and sometimes daren't get near him for fear of giving away a penalty when he drove in to our 'Box' Worth a look?
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Your comment about last 15 mins was exactly the same on Saturday v Enfield.
Drunken Debanker
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Drunken Debanker »

Dbsl wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:46 am
I wonder if Kempston's Number 7 has signed for them. He dictated play for most of the game from the Wing. A good passer of the ball, tricky and confident. Our defenders couldn't and sometimes daren't get near him for fear of giving away a penalty when he drove in to our 'Box' Worth a look?

100% agree with this, he looked the most dangerous player on the pitch going forward and if available would like to think we would be interested.

When we score first we then go on and get a few more like at Newport and R&H albeit these were our easiest opposition.
Yesterday Hicks and Diamond had good first half opportunities to break the deadlock, against Brackley, Bowen came close to scoring in the first half on a couple of occasions. When we finally scored yesterday another one quickly followed.

I think we need to start to learn to be abit more patient, we aren't going to blow teams away and we may have to rely on set pieces more and the plan may be to be more organised and hit on the break, with the likes of Diamond, Dean and Reynolds who are looking good in pre season we can be capable of this and I'd like to see more of yesterdays goalscorer Ward who impressed.

Farrell, Oulton and Westbrook with Hicks and Curtis if he returns in reserve can easily be the best midfield in the league along with Bully, Brown and Jacko/Blaize who were up their with the best defence in the country last season. I am still optimistic we can have a positive season and have had enough of dwelling on players that don't want to play for us anymore 10 days to go!!!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We'll Drink Some Beer
And We'll Drink Some More
Cuz We Are The Rushden Boys On Tour.