[ Sat 28th Jul ] v Enfield Town, KO 3pm DRMC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Sat 28th Jul ] v Enfield Town, KO 3pm DRMC HOME

Post by Dazzler »

The Dale Roberts Memorial Cup Game

http://www.afcdiamonds.com/pre-season-fixtures-2018-19

BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: [ Sat 28th Jul ] v Enfield Town, KO 3pm DRMC HOME

Post by BartonRaz »

Some thinking to do for Peaks etc. Today’s performance suggests we might need to step things up a bit with our player recruitment over the coming days as we are short of at least 2. Either that or we need to look seriously at the way we are trying to play.

An unbelievably deep and defensive 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2) could have seen us 4-0 down at HT with no complaints. Second half was a slight improvement and John Dean was lively, but we struggled to create anything all afternoon.

I don’t know if Joel Gyasi has burned his bridges, or if he’s intimated that he doesn’t want to return, but i’d be straight on the phone to him this evening trying to come to some sort of compromise.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

This was the first time I've seen us this pre season and it was apparent after the first 45 minutes, that gyasi and fairlamb are going to be a big loss. I said that they would be the two worst losses we could have playerwise and replacing them would be very difficult. Westwood has some good confidence in trying to take players on, getting forward and isn't a terrible replacement, but as we've gone up a league it's unlikely he would fill gyasi's boots. John Dean did cause a few problems when he come on but I think primarily he's a forward. If there's room to bring in two new players, it has to be the wide positions. All the other positions, apart from a sub keeper, are pretty much covered for now. Can't really comment on new signing hicks, as he didn't get a lot of time or James hall, who was feeding of scraps for most of his time up front. Still not sure about cam gilchrust as there's probably 3 other players, along with Zak Reynolds, who do a better job at right back. But I suppose it's the same case as ben ford that they'd like to try and earn a place in the team than go elsewhere.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Like I said last game , we look so weak and light weight in our attack. Wouldn’t be so bad if we had a strong player to hold up play (robbins). Lorraine isn’t that type of player so we cannot rely on him to hold it up. Struggling to see where our goals are coming from against better defences in this league. We need to be at least as strong as last season.

Good results bring crowds in remember.....
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Who were 21 and 12 in second half. They seemed to be on same wavelength causing considerable problems for Enfiel which was not so apparent with some of the others.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

It was intetesting to pit our skills against a team from the same level. Enfield were quicker on and off the ball and played really well in the first half. I know it's important for players to get minutes but it doesn't give much away as to how the real first team would work. I think we learned more about what players couldn't do which could be really useful to the management. Diamond has to play up front and I think it would be good to have Farrell right behind him.
We'll see what is needed after 10 games or so.
AFC R & D member number 34
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Regarding Gyasi, until we hear he has signed for someone else there is a chance he may rejjoin us. I should imagine he is still getting over his Bulgaria disappointment. Just need Peaksy to persuade him before someone else offers him silly money!!!
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I think the team that started for Enfield will do well this season in their league, Chaney they have just signed from Torquay!

It shows a real step up in quality from step 4 to 3
AFC R&D Member No. 67
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

bozzer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:02 am I think the team that started for Enfield will do well this season in their league, Chaney they have just signed from Torquay!

It shows a real step up in quality from step 4 to 3

And if we have a average step 4 attack where does that leave us this season...? Hope we strengthen
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

bozzer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:02 am I think the team that started for Enfield will do well this season in their league, Chaney they have just signed from Torquay!
Last Monday they were narrowly beaten 2-1 by a Spurs U23 XI.

Sam Chaney was a graduate in the Gulls, now closed, Academy under the tutelage of ex RDFC Youth boss Geoff Harrop.