Joel Gyasi

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Joel Gyasi

Post by sussexdiamond »

:harhar: :fool: :nono: Is he really going to stay at Step 4 rather than try to improve his game at a Step2 club. Is he a fool with no ambition or just following the money or both!!!
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: Joel Gyasi

Post by therushden »

you can't blame players at this level following the money. good luck to him.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I don't know much about Joel, but I think he has a young family. With those kind of commitments and financial commitments that come along with that, he's probably in a situation that almost every 20-something in his circumstances is in - every penny counts.

If he can double his money elsewhere and significantly supplement his 'normal' income from football then fair play and good luck. As was mentioned in another thread, many of us have 20/30/40+ year associations with this club and the various past incarnations. Joel's spent one season here as a player. We can't expect players to feel the same way about the club that we do.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

I agree with a lot of what Bartonraz says about family etc but I believe he has misled the club on his intentions and if he is concerned about family why throw in the idea of playing abroad. I would like to think that we gave him an opportunity to show his talent but he has now rejected that to sign for a club in a lower league. Others in our squad rejected offers of higher wages to stay. We still have players that will attract attention but hopefully they will only leave to improve their career. Our budget is about one third of other clubs in our league so some movement has to be expected.
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

Gutted. If they're splashing the cash to get him I can't blame him for following the money, but as one of the best players we've seen in a Diamonds shirt it'll be very hard to replace him. That said, let's leave the door open if he ever wants to return. Any ideas on who would fill in his spot?
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

James Beil wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am Any ideas on who would fill in his spot?
Out of the existing players both Callum Westwood and Ross Oulton could play in the position of right wing back. Ben Ford might also get an opportunity in the left wing back role.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

There seems to be a lot of theorising here with very little in the way of facts.

Joel has played one game on a trial basis for Bedford - nothing has been announced about him signing for them. The original poster seems to claim to have inside knowledge about Joel's stated intentions - AFCRD haven't published anything I've seen about his plans here, there or anywhere as far as I can see. Similarly there hasn't been any mention of an offer to him to play at Step 2 as far as I have seen.

If Joel leaves it might be for many reasons - we've seen the likes of Matt Gearing leave because of travel commitments following a promotion, and others have wanted to sample football in different countries before (including Joel himself).

I wish Joel well whatever he chooses to do, and if he happens to line up against us in the future I will give him a warm welcome, and certainly wouldn't call him a "fool with no ambition" whatever he does.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Formic wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am There seems to be a lot of theorising here with very little in the way of facts.

Joel has played one game on a trial basis for Bedford - nothing has been announced about him signing for them. The original poster seems to claim to have inside knowledge about Joel's stated intentions - AFCRD haven't published anything I've seen about his plans here, there or anywhere as far as I can see. Similarly there hasn't been any mention of an offer to him to play at Step 2 as far as I have seen.

If Joel leaves it might be for many reasons - we've seen the likes of Matt Gearing leave because of travel commitments following a promotion, and others have wanted to sample football in different countries before (including Joel himself).

I wish Joel well whatever he chooses to do, and if he happens to line up against us in the future I will give him a warm welcome, and certainly wouldn't call him a "fool with no ambition" whatever he does.
Agree with most of your comments Formic but I'm not sure he was there on a trial basis given that 99.99% of the time if a player is no more than a trialist he appears on the team sheet and any match reports as such, this was certainly not the case Saturday, I would love to see Joel back in a Diamonds shirt but I suspect it may not happen for a while.
It's hard when good players move on but that is football at all levels and I would rather focus not on players that have no great long term connections to the Club and opt to move on, but on those who have remained, turned down the options of stepping up and earning more and shown probably more loyalty than could have expected of them by even the most single minded supporters.
Last edited by Brownie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am I agree with a lot of what Bartonraz says about family etc but I believe he has misled the club on his intentions and if he is concerned about family why throw in the idea of playing abroad. I would like to think that we gave him an opportunity to show his talent but he has now rejected that to sign for a club in a lower league. Others in our squad rejected offers of higher wages to stay. We still have players that will attract attention but hopefully they will only leave to improve their career. Our budget is about one third of other clubs in our league so some movement has to be expected.
Is that a fact or a guess?

Personally, I like to see players who stay with the club, but it's a fact of life that some will move on for money etc. Would rather concentrate on those who want to stay and say to JG, hope you'll stay too but if not, thanks for last season.
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

It is fact that at least two players rejected better offers and that at least two clubs have wage bill about 3 times ours.