Pre-Season Fixtures...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Pre-Season Fixtures...

Post by BartonRaz »

Now a complete set apparently.

http://www.afcdiamonds.com/pre-season-fixtures-2018-19

A very uninteresting set of fixtures. Obviously I have no idea how these things work, but I'd have hoped we might have been able to tempt a professional outfit to come and play us. After all, we hosted Northampton last year whilst at a level below and have a Diamonds fan on the Board of Directors at Leyton Orient.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Pre-Season Fixtures...

Post by davealbon »

Believe me, getting a professional side to agree to a pre-season friendly is much easier said than done! Unless you have contacts in the management team, like with JE at Northampton last year, you stand very little chance. Even getting an Academy or U21 side is a ball ache.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Was hoping we could attract a step 1 or another step 2 club now that we are step 3, obviously i'm sure the club tried and as mentioned above, was hoping we could tempt JE from Leyton Orient. attracting the bigger clubs will get easier once we establish ourselves at step 3 and grow the profile of the club
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

davealbon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:38 am Believe me, getting a professional side to agree to a pre-season friendly is much easier said than done! Unless you have contacts in the management team, like with JE at Northampton last year, you stand very little chance. Even getting an Academy or U21 side is a ball ache.
Out of interest what makes it so difficult? Too many other clubs trying to do the same thing?

Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

BartonRaz wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:52 pm
davealbon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:38 am Believe me, getting a professional side to agree to a pre-season friendly is much easier said than done! Unless you have contacts in the management team, like with JE at Northampton last year, you stand very little chance. Even getting an Academy or U21 side is a ball ache.
Out of interest what makes it so difficult? Too many other clubs trying to do the same thing?
I'm guessing the pitch might be an issue as well?
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

What would we learn from playing say a Championship reserve or under 21 side?

Pre- season is primarily for the benefit of the players not the fans.

Our pre season friendlies are geared to give the players a light start, building up to playing teams at our level or just above in time for the first competitive game on Aug 11th. Which seems far more sensible than playing against pro's who are not interested and probably resent having to play lower league teams.

Lets not forget that Brackley are the FA Trophy holders and came within 90 mins of being a National League side, plus we may well have some of their players in our squad by then!.
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

sussexdiamond wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm What would we learn from playing say a Championship reserve or under 21 side?
More than we would playing Melton Town and Rushden & Higham.

sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm What would we learn from playing say a Championship reserve or under 21 side?
But surely the purpose of pre season is to build up fitness and work on formations and tactics etc. and maybe even gain some confidence from a few wins.
We have used this same pattern for the past 6 years and it has served us well in the subsequent season. If it aint broke.....
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

The same could be said about a league side, what would they learn by playing a step 3 side the gap is the same. Though last season The Wobblers were made aware what a difficult year they had ahead of them.
I see Welly have a couple of big ones lined up but if most clubs are playing 6/8 games the is a limit to league clubs availability.
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Brownie wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 am
The same could be said about a league side, what would they learn by playing a step 3 side the gap is the same. Though last season The Wobblers were made aware what a difficult year they had ahead of them.
I see Welly have a couple of big ones lined up but if most clubs are playing 6/8 games the is a limit to league clubs availability.
Leyton Orient being one of them!