Its that time again

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Its that time again

Post by sussexdiamond »

Ok. So we have had three weeks to enjoy our promotion and reflect on another fantastic season, albeit not without its "squeaky bum " moments.
Lets consider which players would we want to re-sign.

For me, its offer terms to all except Prince Boateng. I would be surprised if Westwood stayed and possibly Gilchrist, although I quite rate him.
I would hope that Dean becomes part of the set up from the start. I would not be too disappointed if SWD did not sign on.

Of all the others we are sure to lose one or two, either to predators or they decide Step 3 is a step too far for themselves. I am not expecting a promotion campaign next season and would like to see some of under 18's and 21's given the chance to be part of the first team squad.
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Re: Its that time again

Post by STAGMAN »

Steve Diggin anybody , have been saying on Radio Cobblers that this was his last game for Brackley today
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I think we need 4 players personally.

- A natural winger able to provide genuine back-up/competition for Gyasi and Fairlamb. Lewis Hilliard maybe?
- An experienced 'leader' in central midfield. A 30-something ex-pro or somebody that's been there and done it at this level.
- A big horrible bastard in defence in the Gavin Hoyte / Ryan Frater / Jordan Gent / Steve Gentle mould.
- A striker. Diggin mentioned above would be exactly the type of player.

Of the players currently in the squad I think the vast majority will stay or be offered the chance to stay, but I think there's a chance Ford, Gilchrist, Dean and Boateng may move on owing to lack of game-time which is only likely to worsen, plus maybe SWD who always felt like a bit of a short-term signing given how late in the day he joined.

I'd expect Lorraine and Curtis to sign on again but have doubts as to whether they'll be able to hold down a place in the starting XI next year.

I don't think we've seen Ashton or Oulton really get back to the pre-injury levels but hopefully both will sign on again and will benefit from a full pre-season.

Having said all this, I think we could achieve our ultimate aim which is probably consolidation in this new division without making a single addition. That would be a bit boring though!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

I concur with all Bartonraz has to say, but I think John Dean will be given the chance he needs in pre season. The only reason he did not feature later in the season was because we had SWD, Robbins, Lorraine and Diamond. I would not be overly surprised if Diamond was the only one of those to start the new season
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

STAGMAN wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm Steve Diggin anybody , have been saying on Radio Cobblers that this was his last game for Brackley today
Why is he leaving Brackley?
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

I have not been told officially that Steve is leaving but certainly many fans at Wembley were under the distinct impression that Sunday's cameo may have been his last appearance for Brackley.

One fact to substantiate the whispers is that Steve has played less than 3 hours football in the entire season. Great penalty on Sunday though!

If he did become available and we could afford him the IMO he would be a great signing as he could still play at NLN level. Diggin and Diamond now that potentially would be a potent forward line!!
TwinkleToesTomlin
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

We’re in a great position, in that I’d be absolutely delighted to start the season with exactly the same squad that finished the previous one.

But if we’re playing a game...

Adam Marriot, Jack Bowen, Ben Stephens, Lewis Hillyard and Danny May
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm We’re in a great position, in that I’d be absolutely delighted to start the season with exactly the same squad that finished the previous one.

How's Jack Bowen been doing? Haven't heard anything at all since he left us.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm We’re in a great position, in that I’d be absolutely delighted to start the season with exactly the same squad that finished the previous one.

Ben Stephens is a great shout and I believe he is friends with some of our players. Having said that I think he’s been on trial with professional clubs last season. Stratford Town have had a managerial change this summer, so perhaps he could be available.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

I’m going to break with tradition and say I’d like to stick with the majority of the squad and not ring the changes straight away. If we start poorly, then perhaps we can look to strengthen.

If we are playing 3-5-2, I think we need a centre back, a centre midfielder and a striker. Heath, Dolman, Farrell, Westbrook, Gyasi and Fairlamb must be retained.