[ Tue 24th Apr ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 7:45pm ESE HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
James Beil

Re: [ Tue 24th Apr ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 7:45pm ESE HOME

Post by James Beil »

BartonRaz wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:39 am
James Beil wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am Now we just have to keep our fingers crossed and pray for some divine inspiration for Egham tomorrow and Marlow saturday to give us a chance at adding something to the trophy cabinet - I'm already looking forward to K*ttering, daventry and corby next year!
Don't get too excited. K*ttering yes (if they don't go up), but Corby are at Step 4 and Daventry at Step 5!
:fool:
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I think every single player out on that pitch was incredible, couldn't fault ANY of them. But, still two older gentlemen couldn't help but moan throughout the course of the game. I turned around to shake my head when one shouted out "Come on number 10 (Spencer) put in some effort!"

I don't think they'll ever be happy, probably be moaning again next season!! We've been promoted, best defensive record in the league, what more do they want?!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by Dazzler »

MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

Interesting comments from Bully. Ben Diamond is the best young player he has seen in a long time, plus we might struggle to keep some of the current team. Let's hope Peaksy can use his powers of persuasion!
AFC R&D Member Number 444
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

UttoDiamond wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:51 am Interesting comments from Bully. Ben Diamond is the best young player he has seen in a long time, plus we might struggle to keep some of the current team. Let's hope Peaksy can use his powers of persuasion!
I've thought about the possibility of losing the likes of Gyasi/Fairlamb/Diamond recently. Had we not been promoted I think we would have had real trouble keeping hold of them, but now that we're at Step 3 we've surely got to have a much better chance. After all, if they want to progress to Step 2 they're going to have to be prepared to travel in order to do it unless K*ttering win the play-offs.

Brackley Town is the obvious local Step 2 side, but given they clearly have ambitions to move out of that division in the right direction, plus the fact they already have a very good squad, I can't see either of those 3 mentioned getting a look in somewhere like that. Only other options within a 60-mile radius would be Nuneaton, Leamington, Oxford City, Hemel Hempstead or St Albans.

Only other potential danger is if K*ttering remain at this level and continue to spend the amount of money they are currently. Some comments from Marcus Law this week suggests he may go if they don't get promoted (talked about falling on his sword) which may create a bit of an issue for them in terms of budget next season.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

I agree that Ben Diamond is a big talent. Why on earth Corby let him go is a great mystery to me although apparently Ben didn't like playing wide there.

I also noted Bully's comments with interest. If we keep the core of this squad together then I have no doubt that we can compete at a higher level but it is a catch 22 situation! Players come and players go for all kinds of different reasons whether it be to play at a higher level, work commitments , geography or even being lured by more money!

At the recent Fans Forum I thanked the management team for their efforts this season as despite having a playing budget, rumoured to be considerably smaller than all the other teams in the top 6, Peaksy's impressive player contact network and powers of persuasion enabled the management team to put together a talented squad which duly got us over the line. I for one think that the management team have done an amazing job with a limited budget to take us to the next level and hopefully Peaksy will get rewarded accordingly!

The catch 22 reference above brings me to next season. Most fans are very happy just to have a football team to support after the Nene Park debacle and understandably the question of league progression is not as important as 'sustainability'. We have ground costs amounting to £30k while reopening the stand and improving the drainage will probably run in into many tens of thousands of pounds so it is entirely the right option to deal with same as a priority.

But on the other side of the road it is the question of trying to compete at a higher level. That does not mean getting back to back promotions it is simply to compete and have a minimum requirement of avoiding relegation. We will probably need a striker who can score 20 plus in the higher league and they don't come cheap. We potentially will need extra depth to the squad. But this all costs money and I therefore don't envy the board on the tough decisions ahead trying to balance the books between necessary ground work and keeping the squad competitive.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Pressman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 pm I agree that Ben Diamond is a big talent. Why on earth Corby let him go is a great mystery to me although apparently Ben didn't like playing wide there.

I also noted Bully's comments with interest. If we keep the core of this squad together then I have no doubt that we can compete at a higher level but it is a catch 22 situation! Players come and players go for all kinds of different reasons whether it be to play at a higher level, work commitments , geography or even being lured by more money!

At the recent Fans Forum I thanked the management team for their efforts this season as despite having a playing budget, rumoured to be considerably smaller than all the other teams in the top 6, Peaksy's impressive player contact network and powers of persuasion enabled the management team to put together a talented squad which duly got us over the line. I for one think that the management team have done an amazing job with a limited budget to take us to the next level and hopefully Peaksy will get rewarded accordingly!

The catch 22 reference above brings me to next season. Most fans are very happy just to have a football team to support after the Nene Park debacle and understandably the question of league progression is not as important as 'sustainability'. We have ground costs amounting to £30k while reopening the stand and improving the drainage will probably run in into many tens of thousands of pounds so it is entirely the right option to deal with same as a priority.

But on the other side of the road it is the question of trying to compete at a higher level. That does not mean getting back to back promotions it is simply to compete and have a minimum requirement of avoiding relegation. We will probably need a striker who can score 20 plus in the higher league and they don't come cheap. We potentially will need extra depth to the squad. But this all costs money and I therefore don't envy the board on the tough decisions ahead trying to balance the books between necessary ground work and keeping the squad competitive.
You make some very valid points there Pressman, particularly regarding the need to invest in the infrastructure of Hayden Road to ensure that both the club is able to progress further should the need arise and we don't suffer the level of postponements we have this year.

Fortunately for both board and management I guess, we're moving up to a level now where I think (or hope) the level of expectation on the pitch will decrease. This is a good level of football and one, as Peaksy said in his post-match interview, the club can be proud of playing at. When we reformed I had hoped that we would get to this level, anything else is a bonus as far as i'm concerned and I know others feel similarly. This might mean that any additional revenue we make from being at a higher level can be diverted elsewhere rather than the playing squad.

As mentioned before I think with the current squad we'd be upper mid-table in the current Southern League Premier. If we actually decided we wanted to aim higher than that then I think we need 4 players across various positions, not necessarily starters, for example we have no genuine cover in the wide areas. That's assuming nobody key moves on, but maybe we can have this discussion in the summer when we're bored and football-less!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm but maybe we can have this discussion in the summer when we're bored and football-less!
We've got 3 months without AFC R & D playing, its going to be a long summer. But at least we have all the excitement of England winning the World Cup to look forward too.