[ Tue 6th Mar ] v Thame Utd, KO 7:45pm ESE HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Tue 6th Mar ] v Thame Utd, KO 7:45pm ESE HOME

Post by Dazzler »

sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Tue 6th Mar ] v Thame Utd, KO 7:45pm ESE HOME

Post by sussexdiamond »

What are the chances of this game going ahead? I presume all the snow has now gone but it must be very wet still. Today looks as though it will be dry but after yesterdays downpours It will take a lot of luck and hard work.
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

Hopefully we'll get this ahead - apparently it's meant to rain in Northampton, let's hope it's only a little drizzle. No matter what happens it's not likely to be a great surface for playing football on tomorrow - any idea when any inspections will be?
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

James Beil wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 am Hopefully we'll get this ahead - apparently it's meant to rain in Northampton, let's hope it's only a little drizzle. No matter what happens it's not likely to be a great surface for playing football on tomorrow - any idea when any inspections will be?
Presume if one required it will be as late as possible given the opposition don't have that far to travel, so would guess early afternoon. That said given the amount of snow that has thawed on the pitch, the existing drainage issue and the possibility of more rail I would think the ground staff will have to perform a minor miracle if this game goes ahead, I'm already looking at alternative entertainment options for tomorrow.
Diamond88

Post by Diamond88 »

Would it not have been a bloody good idea to clear the snow Saturday as then to prevent more waterlogging issues as suggested by the club to the groundsman??
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Diamond88 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm Would it not have been a bloody good idea to clear the snow Saturday as then to prevent more waterlogging issues as suggested by the club to the groundsman??
On twitter it said the club considered clearing the snow, but ultimately decided against it.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
rushdenman

Post by rushdenman »

Diamond88 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm Would it not have been a bloody good idea to clear the snow Saturday as then to prevent more waterlogging issues as suggested by the club to the groundsman??
Assuming an average depth of snow of approximately 10 cm. the volume of snow to be cleared would have been 1000 cubic metres (approx. 25 average living rooms full), which would equate to around 100 metric tonnes.

You would need a lot of volunteers with the right equipment, and where would you put it?
Also, there would be a risk of further damage to the pitch, not to mention volunteers backs!

It was always likely to be a pretty fast thaw so probably best to let it dissipate naturally.

Frustrating though it will be if it is postponed again we do still have dates available in April.
Diamond88

Post by Diamond88 »

Someone obviously has too much spare time on there hands! Not all volunteers are over retirement age it really wouldn't have taken that long with a dozen or so people and I'm sure we would have found places for the snow but it's gone now so let's just leave it there and hope we have the game on tomorrow night and this doesn't affect our chances of promotion with a back log of games
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:13 pm
On twitter it said the club considered clearing the snow, but ultimately decided against it.
You need to be guided by the groundsman and I guess that given the waterlogged state you would have ended up doing more damage to an already suspect playing surface.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Trek wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:13 pm
You need to be guided by the groundsman and I guess that given the waterlogged state you would have ended up doing more damage to an already suspect playing surface.
As pointed out the option of clearing was considered but decided against following consultation with the Grounds-man, I'll sit on the side of the fence that is happy to take advise from someone who spends hours working on the ground and I'm sure knows what he's talking about, as long as he doesn't tell me how to repair accident damaged commercial vehicles, and as yet he hasn't.