[ Tue 16th Jan ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 7:45pm ESE AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Tue 16th Jan ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 7:45pm ESE AWAY

Post by Formic »

A well deserved win. We really took advantage of having the wind behind us in the first half and the scoreline at the break didn't flatter us. Good game management saw us through the second half, when for a short period the hosts remembered they were there to play football rather than whinge about things and look as though their main aim was to get one of our players booked - even though they committed most of the fouls during the game. Ben Diamond had an excellent first half - the touch he got on the ball wide on the left to take it past the Moles defence before crossing for Tom Lorraine's goal was a real highlight. The arrival of Jack Westbrook seems to have energised our entire midfield - he reads the game really well.
The ref did pretty well ignoring the whinging and play acting, although his time management could have been better. Hopefully everybody who parked on the grass managed to get their cars back on the road without incident.
Since the changes made at half-time against Moneyfields our performances have been outstanding. Andy Peaks now has to make sure these continue, apart from the odd blip, but also keep a number of fringe players happy so that if we do lose a couple of player to injury we have others ready to step in.
The crowd seemed 75% Diamonds fans, so hopefully that helped them get some funds towards ground maintenance. It was a nice touch that they gave away the free programme from the original game too - especially as an up-to-date one was available online.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I'm running out of superlatives to describe this team at the moment. We're in the midst of an incredible run of form and crucially, as I look across the team / squad I don't see any real weaknesses. The pitch could have leveled things up but the two teams couldn't have been further apart in terms of quality.

Ben Diamond was superb again. The way he set-up the first goal, running on to his own flick and putting it on a plate for Tom Lorraine, was really outstanding.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Another 1 ticked off 25 down 17 to go & a totally dominant performance, could have been more goals but once we had 3 the game was over so fully understand the way we played out the 2nd half. Aylesbury did have an odd mix within the side, No 10 being the midfield general, well he stood in the middle shouting at everyone all night, the only tackles he made were bad ones which was highlighted on the Aylesbury photos with his 2 footed out of control lunge that just missed Joe. 2 had to be one of the worst defenders if not players I've seen this season and I assume the only reason he avoided a booking was sympathy from the Ref who thought he wasn't fouling Luke all the time intentionally but was just incapable of getting anywhere near him on time, so well done to Peaksy for getting Luke off the pitch as for most of the 2nd half I'm sure I wasn't the only one who's greatest fear was us picking up injuries. I get that the new rules, should the Ref feel a player is making a genuine attempt for the ball, removes the automatic straight Red for a last Man foul in the box but their 4 didn't even get a Yellow for wiping Gyasi out, though the keeper during his rant (god knows what he was moaning about) possibly said something rude to the Ref so it was far more important to caution him than the one who committed what was a fairly dangerous challenge. Good to have Ryan in the dugout though not involved in the game he proved to be an ideal verbal sparing partner for the Aylesbury Manager.
One of the worst pitches we may play on and some of the facilities (toilets especially) left a bit to be desired, but I'm sure they would say at least it's theirs, that said everyone connected to Aylesbury were very friendly and helpful, which made for a good evening and hope to see some of them when they visit us, the chips weren't bad either :wink:.
3 more valuable points to go with those gained at Fleet with emphatic performances on pitches and at places others either have or may yet drop points, on to a new challenge now as I'm sure we will see the normal very defensive set up from Uxbridge we have come to expect from most visiting teams this season, the early goal becomes so important to settle everyone down and open the game up.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

As one of those stuck in the mud I am so glad we won, otherwise it would have been a dismal evening.The AA man came within 40 mins and had me back on the road in 5 minutes. Got as far as the A5 at MK to find diversions so headed for J14 only to find that closed as well! Never a dull moment following Diamonds.Off to the car wash now.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Terrific result again, in what was a real potential banana skin. Looks like it was the Aylesbury defence who decided to go down the pub this time! :drinks:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Watching the highlights to me it looked like not only did their 4 get away with one for the pen but the 5 appeared to possibly have a little kick at Joel while he was down.
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273