[ Sat 6th Jan ] v Marlow FC, KO 3pm ESE HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Marlow FC, KO 3pm ESE HOME

Post by Trek »

Frustrating draw, but their defence played out of their skins. Delivery into the box was poor and we never worked the keeper from the edge of the penalty area and made it far too easy for him particularly in the second half.
The run of winning games had to end some time and as least we got a point so we move on to the next game.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 58 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Always disappointed not to win, but we were expecting at sometime for someone to end our winning streak. How we react in next couple of league games will be important for us not to lose momentum and not give hope to the chasing pack. Tuesday gives us , the supporters a chance to relax and enjoy a game without worrying too much about the result.
I still want a win though!!
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

Frustrating and disappointing but hey, these days come, we're on a great unbeaten run with a fantastic defensive record and we're still too of the league. The pitch looked very heavy but the players gave their all.

Jack Ashton looks like he's never been away and Sam Brown was worthy of motm.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Phil-the-Diamond wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 pm Frustrating and disappointing but hey, these days come, we're on a great unbeaten run with a fantastic defensive record and we're still too of the league. The pitch looked very heavy but the players gave their all.

Jack Ashton looks like he's never been away and Sam Brown was worthy of motm.
Not that it matters too much, but I actually thought Ashton should have been motm. Thought the writing was on the wall for him to pop up with the winner but it wasn't to be. Only thing about the defence us that if we play three at the back, then dolman has to be in the middle. I understand that he couldnt move jack out there because hes left footed and punter would be better suited there. Not everyone will agree, but I think if we keep playing three at the back, then Sam Brown would be the one to miss out.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

What? The same Sam that has been part of a rock solid defence, the same one that was a deserved motm today, the recently appointed Vice Captain? I’ve seen some daft stuff suggested over my years - that one is right up there !! So we discard Sam, one of our most consistent performers just because Jack is fit?

Bully has to be in the middle, I agree there, Sam at left back - the right side is now up for grabs and personally I saw nothing wrong with Gilchrist there and thought he was unlucky to be dropped today ! The back 3 system has worked so well for us recently - we mustn’t mess with that, but Bully must imo be put back in the middle !
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

The winning run was going to end at some point. Didn’t expect it to end today, but the pitch levelled things up and I thought our boys looked a bit lethargic at times which is understandable given we’ve been playing pretty much the same XI for weeks/months.

Our biggest issue over the next couple of months will be the pitches as a heavy pitch affects the way we play quite significantly. We’re about to play on two ploughed fields at Fleet and Aylesbury. I’d snap your hand off for a couple of 1-0’s if offered.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 83 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Pitch wasn't great, we move on.

If anyone fancies a laugh - I highly recommend the K*ttering fans on Twitter tonight after their 3-2 defeat today.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 58 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Rushdenjim wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 pm

If anyone fancies a laugh - I highly recommend the K*ttering fans on Twitter tonight after their 3-2 defeat today.
And Bunting scored the last minute winner. Alas not Richard whose Wisbech went out of the Vase.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Pigman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 pm What? The same Sam that has been part of a rock solid defence, the same one that was a deserved motm today, the recently appointed Vice Captain? I’ve seen some daft stuff suggested over my years - that one is right up there !! So we discard Sam, one of our most consistent performers just because Jack is fit?

Bully has to be in the middle, I agree there, Sam at left back - the right side is now up for grabs and personally I saw nothing wrong with Gilchrist there and thought he was unlucky to be dropped today ! The back 3 system has worked so well for us recently - we mustn’t mess with that, but Bully must imo be put back in the middle !
Just my opinion and I don't think it's daft. You've agreed with me the dolman goes in the middle but what to do? Ashton misses out?If we play 4-4-2 then Brown obviously plays at left back. Punter has also consistent and played the first of those 8 wins. It is up for grabs on the right side, but Ashton or Brown won't play there so those two are really competing for one position. It's a tricky one, so maybe we go back to 4-4-2. With Farrell, Curtis and Westbrook in the middle of midfield you have three very simular players in there. Would certainly give gyasi and fairlamb the chance to get further forward. Gyasi really needed to get at the left back yesterday who looked poor and had a first half booking
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

8 clean sheets in the last 10 suggest that our 3 - 5 - 2 formation is working very well defensively. As to who the 3 should be well its any 3 from 5 and as proved at Bedford we thankfully didn't really miss either Bully or Punts then - although Liam would always be my first name on the team sheet and Sam Brown would always be my choice on the left side of Defence.

As to the game, we didn't do a lot wrong. Both the wingers were not at their best but then both their markers had excellent games especially there number 7 who I thought was MOM. Marlow came with a game plan and their defence was well organised and resolute. On another day we could have hit a cricket score.

When I interviewed Peaksy afterwards he was as refreshingly honest and realistic as always - especially his first response (below) which sums up where we are:-

'If you'd have told me 10 games ago that we were going to win 9 and draw one then I'd have snapped your hand off'!

'Decision making cost us today but hats off to their defence who were solid'.

'The pitch was difficult but we have to get used to it at this time of year. Its the same for both teams and will be more than likely the similar on our travels'.

Personally, I didn't enjoy the game yesterday Brownie because there was no one to moan about!! :joy: Anyway thank you to the usual suspects in the main stand and Peaksy who have suggested that it was all my fault that Bunts had moved on!! I enjoyed all the banter and being serious for a minute Peaksy gave Bunts an emotional thank you and send off at the end of our interview.