[ Sat 2nd Dec ] v Hartley Wintney, KO 3pm ESE HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Re: [ Sat 2nd Dec ] v Hartley Wintney, KO 3pm ESE HOME

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I think Chris and Bruce on Radio Diamonds must have missed something yesterday. The NLP has the score as 5-0!!!
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Good solid performance, not at our best in 1st half but improved enough to deserve the 3 points. Was very close to all penalty shouts and for me the 1st one was, the other 2 probably just outside. We are looking like a very solid outfit who not only don’t look like conceding but look dangerous going forward from many areas. Big few games coming up in December against supposedly weaker opposition, though I have no doubt every game from now on the opponents will be busting a gut to get one over us. Squad is big enough & strong enough to keep this run going.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

It's interesting to hear Andy Peaks' thoughts after the match concerning how he is managing his squad. Keeping the fringe players "match ready" is a big challenge, but one that Andy seems to have managed well from the UCL days. He's clearly keeping his feet on the ground following the splendid run of results too.
I wonder if one or two of those who fired off in the post-FA Trophy thread http://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7965 - have moderated their opinions now. I'll admit I am far more confident about things having had to wait until the Northwood game to see a home victory at Hayden Rd, before which I was fearing for a repeat of last seasons' fine away form coupled with average home performances. Given the number of "experts" who seemed to still find plenty to moan about during Saturday's game I'm not sure that will be the case though.
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

Formic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 pm It's interesting to hear Andy Peaks' thoughts after the match concerning how he is managing his squad. Keeping the fringe players "match ready" is a big challenge, but one that Andy seems to have managed well from the UCL days. He's clearly keeping his feet on the ground following the splendid run of results too.
I wonder if one or two of those who fired off in the post-FA Trophy thread http://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7965 - have moderated their opinions now. I'll admit I am far more confident about things having had to wait until the Northwood game to see a home victory at Hayden Rd, before which I was fearing for a repeat of last seasons' fine away form coupled with average home performances. Given the number of "experts" who seemed to still find plenty to moan about during Saturday's game I'm not sure that will be the case though.

I think this is quite unfair those of us who weren't confident at the the time, we weren't performing anywhere near the level we are now and there were some serious issues that have since been addressed!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Formic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 pm It's interesting to hear Andy Peaks' thoughts after the match concerning how he is managing his squad. Keeping the fringe players "match ready" is a big challenge, but one that Andy seems to have managed well from the UCL days. He's clearly keeping his feet on the ground following the splendid run of results too.
The comments in that thread were completely fair at the time in my opinion, albeit I was uncharacteristically reserved and actually defended Peaksy to a certain degree even though I was at my wits end with it all. It just goes to show how much can change in such a short space of time.

It may be coincidental and we've obviously brought some very good players in but our upturn in form coincides with Tom Chapman joining our coaching staff in the dugout, the former Cogenhoe United Manager. Perhaps an alternative point of view in the technical area has been a positive factor after many years with the same group.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

It should not be overlooked that when the thread of the 7th October was started we had been comprehensively played off the park at home by Kidsgrove Athletic in the FA Trophy which nobody would have expected and then we proceeded to pick up only 4 points from the next 3 League games - hardly promotion form.
The turning point however came in the thrashing of Barton Rovers which was a result, I believe, that galvanised both our players and management. Despite us losing our ‘talisman’ striker in Shariff we have proceeded to strengthen our squad with a number of very astute and useful signings and have only dropped a couple of points in the league - definitely Championship form!
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

The kidsgrove match was a very poor and disappointing performance and it didn't look as if peaksy had any other game plan or "plan b". I was of the opinion that he would guide the team to play offs but wouldn't get us promotion, but as an lifelong rdfc and afcrd fan all I want to do is see the club be successful in every way, so one thing I do not mind is to be proven wrong. The change of personel, formation and character has been a massive upturn since that fixture, that he may well be able to take the team up from this league. Still s long way to go but things are looking a lot rosier!
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm It may be coincidental and we've obviously brought some very good players in but our upturn in form coincides with Tom Chapman joining our coaching staff in the dugout, the former Cogenhoe United Manager. Perhaps an alternative point of view in the technical area has been a positive factor after many years with the same group.
This is a surprise to me although I don’t stand over the cricket ground side nowadays so not aware of any different personnel in the dug out. This snippet of news appears to have sneaked under the radar and there’s been no mentioned on this forum or on the OWS. How does this role relate to Paul Lamb and Biff Carlin’s current roles?
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I’m sure you can ask Andy that very question at the members forum tomorrow night
AFC R&D Member No. 67