Bedford

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Bedford

Post by Three of Diamonds »

What the heck happened today? According to the Fleet twitter feed, the game was postponed as all of the Bedford players walked out at ten to three today.
AFC R & D member number 34
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Re: Bedford

Post by mikerd »

They went of strike,

Bedford players told club officials at 2:30pm and they were going to strike, and at 2:50pm Bedford players walked out/strike and the match was called off. (I would presume it would be to do with money) but can't be sure on that.

I feel sorry for the fans, for the fans of both clubs, (Bedford) fans making there way down there, I don't rate the Bedford players for doing that.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if the club are fined for failing to fulfill a fixture.
AFC R & D member number 34
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Fleet should be awarded the 3 points.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 58 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Kick 'em out and expunge their record. It means teams at the top losing points.....oh we have n't played them.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Not sure the Fleet article is very helpful, suggesting the players should basically be blackballed and ostracised from the game. I fully understand having made a long trip they would be seriously pi..ed off. The official Bedford Town tweet was pathetic, even saying anyone reading this still in the ground go to the turnstiles for a refund.
But a group of lads wouldn’t make a decision to take such drastic actions without I would suggest something being seriously wrong, knowing a bit about what is my local Town team I would not be at all surprised it the issues are not related to the highest officer within the Club.
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

Bedford Town FC chairman states the reason for the refusal to play is unclear ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42129313
Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 100 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I would think/hope that Bedford will be deducted 3 points with Fleet awarded the win, and at least compensated for their wasted trip.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Brief statement from Howell the Bedford Chairman, he knew nothing about any issues till 2.15, all stories saying he did are fabricated. Matter is now part of an FA disciplinary investigation so unable to make any comment. Blah blah blah. Sure when he penned his brief statement the original draft had some form of apology in it just never got into the released version.