[ Sat 21st Oct ] v Hayes & Yeading Utd FC, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Re: [ Sat 21st Oct ] v Hayes & Yeading Utd FC, KO 3pm ESE AWAY

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I don't think we're going backwards, we're just treading water. I feel the frustration / apathy too which is most concerning. We have a game Tuesday and I was considering not going, but the wife has convinced me I should so I'll be there.
Jim, put your team on show mate if you think it's wrong it wont harm the club.
AFC R & D member number 34
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Oundle Diamond #2 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm Getting seriously bored of us going backwards and no one stopping it.
Wouldn't say going backwards but standing still being a Step 8 top six side for the last 2 years with no signs of going any further despite making some excellent signing.

2nd place finish is a minimum this season and believe the majority of our fans will agree. We are at home Tuesday night then we have a week off, so if a change is to be made it has to be after Tuesday night. However I fear if we win on Tuesday night it will paper over the cracks.
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 pm
Oundle Diamond #2 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm Getting seriously bored of us going backwards and no one stopping it.
Wouldn't say going backwards but standing still being a Step 8 top six side for the last 2 years with no signs of going any further despite making some excellent signing.

2nd place finish is a minimum this season and believe the majority of our fans will agree. We are at home Tuesday night then we have a week off, so if a change is to be made it has to be after Tuesday night. However I fear if we win on Tuesday night it will paper over the cracks.
Have we ever improved on our form at the start of the first Southern League D1 campaign? No we haven’t, and thus I’m not sure anyone can argue we’re not going backwards. We will keep doing so when we don’t recruit in the right positions and we play our best player out of position.
Redsnapper

Post by Redsnapper »

Although I've missed a few games due to other work commitments and haven't seen some of the poorer games, I'm sure this thread would be more positive if we had won on Saturday rather than lost.

We would now be sitting in third place in the table rather than eighth ...!!

With the top two being played over the next few weeks we can put some pressure on them with a win tomorrow night.

So not that much separates the teams at this stage. Our fortunes can easily change over the next few games with a couple of wins.

Lets stay positive and get behind the team as this squad has the ability to get us there, with maybe the odd addition, and with a few players coming back from injury over the coming weeks, I'm hopeful things will improve.
Supporting the community - AFC Diamonds Member No 63
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Our best player is Liam Dolman and he is playing in his correct position. What positions do you think we are weaker in, Oundle Diamond? I think we have recruited well this season across most areas, perhaps needing another striker. We still have Ashton and Oulton to come back. 3 points are a must tomorrow night.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I too am curious to know who is our "best player playing out of position". The only one this could have applied to was when Sam played at Centre Back and even then you could not fault his performances.

On reflection you are probably referring to Claudio. But is he better than Gyasi and Fairlamb.? He's probably equal but not better than those two.
Despite his flair Claudio has many failings, failure to pass the ball being the greatest of them, not to mention giving away to many unnecessary free kicks.

We need an out and out goalscorer to play alongside Nabil, not behind him, but they are not easy to find. Someone in the "Alfie" mode.

If that position was solved then any combination of Farrell, Bunts, Curtis, or Bell Toxtle would be adequate in centre midfield. Its not as though we are not creating chances.
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Oundle Diamond #2 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm
sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Have we ever improved on our form at the start of the first Southern League D1 campaign? No we haven’t, and thus I’m not sure anyone can argue we’re not going backwards. We will keep doing so when we don’t recruit in the right positions and we play our best player out of position.
So we pick a point sometime in the past 27 months and if league position or general play have not greatly improved, it's officially going backwards, well at least we are in good company as based on that criteria about 85% of teams in world football could be referred to as going backwards, Chelsea, Real Madrid for starters. FFS is about the only comment I can think of. Minor point of order, did we not start said season with 3 draws, 2 of which were not great performances followed by a last min Liam Dolman Pen to beat a bloody awful Aylesbury Utd 2-1, or did the start of the season come after that when we won 8 in a row.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Hoban is a better player than both Gyasi and Fairlamb. Both have been poor lately and Hoban has got to start tomorrow.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

fentiger79 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm Hoban is a better player than both Gyasi and Fairlamb. Both have been poor lately and Hoban has got to start tomorrow.
You were there on Tuesday and Saturday right?
AFC R&D Member No. 67