[ Tue 17th Oct ] v Marlow FC, KO 7:45pm ESE AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Tue 17th Oct ] v Marlow FC, KO 7:45pm ESE AWAY

Post by sussexdiamond »

I also was surprised at Treks comments but as ever Brownie has saved me from writing a long response.

Very early on in the game in the RD commentary I stated that Marlows defence looked extremely vulnerable, especially the keeper, and so it proved.

The only period we looked in danger was the first 15 mins. Several good performances and even more selection headaches for Peaksy especially if we do get a new goalscorer on board this week and was Bell Toxtle not available?
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am I also was surprised at Treks comments but as ever Brownie has saved me from writing a long response.

Very early on in the game in the RD commentary I stated that Marlows defence looked extremely vulnerable, especially the keeper, and so it proved.

The only period we looked in danger was the first 15 mins. Several good performances and even more selection headaches for Peaksy especially if we do get a new goalscorer on board this week and was Bell Toxtle not available?
Not sure but think it may have been a problem for him to get there in time, like you say a few selection headaches for Andy but a nice problem to have, I'd like to see Gilchrist start and Smith has made it difficult to be overlooked, guess much will depend on reports Andy has on H & Y as to how we line up, but given a couple are a bit out of sorts at the moment and we have players who can drop into the required positions it may be a paracetamol has been taken and said headache is not so bad after all.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am I also was surprised at Treks comments.......
I think you may be referring to wrong poster Sussex. :ermm: Brownie was responding to the views of another person who was watching the game.

My post was on the matter of our home form compared with our away form which has a major affect on the attendances at Hayden Road in recent matches which cannot be denied.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I guess my views were tainted by the first 15 minutes of the game, when there were the two gilt-edged chances for the hosts, one just requiring an alert forward to deflect it home, and the other a simple chance that looked easier to score - and very little threat from us going forwards - something more readily appreciated from the high vantage point of the stand - one of the best views since we played at Ware. I think our two goals were pretty much from the first two times we really threatened anything - but if others don't think those goals were against the run of play then I stand corrected. Similarly I thought we should have wrapped the game up well before the 85th minute, as we were vulnerable to the late sucker punch as the hosts brought on their subs.

As others have said, it was good to get the three points, and it was certainly a far better performance than any of the three recent league games at home.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Formic wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 pm I guess my views were tainted by the first 15 minutes of the game, when there were the two gilt-edged chances for the hosts, one just requiring an alert forward to deflect it home, and the other a simple chance that looked easier to score - and very little threat from us going forwards - something more readily appreciated from the high vantage point of the stand - one of the best views since we played at Ware. I think our two goals were pretty much from the first two times we really threatened anything - but if others don't think those goals were against the run of play then I stand corrected. Similarly I thought we should have wrapped the game up well before the 85th minute, as we were vulnerable to the late sucker punch as the hosts brought on their subs.

As others have said, it was good to get the three points, and it was certainly a far better performance than any of the three recent league games at home.
As ever, I didn't think your comments were too far off the mark Formic. You did however make reference to the style of play which I actually thought was better yesterday than it has been in the last couple of home games when we've been way to quick to blast the ball up field. Yesterday we actually passed it around on a tricky surface I thought.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

BartonRaz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm
Formic wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 pm I guess my views were tainted by the first 15 minutes of the game, when there were the two gilt-edged chances for the hosts, one just requiring an alert forward to deflect it home, and the other a simple chance that looked easier to score - and very little threat from us going forwards - something more readily appreciated from the high vantage point of the stand - one of the best views since we played at Ware. I think our two goals were pretty much from the first two times we really threatened anything - but if others don't think those goals were against the run of play then I stand corrected. Similarly I thought we should have wrapped the game up well before the 85th minute, as we were vulnerable to the late sucker punch as the hosts brought on their subs.

As ever, I didn't think your comments were too far off the mark Formic. You did however make reference to the style of play which I actually thought was better yesterday than it has been in the last couple of home games when we've been way to quick to blast the ball up field. Yesterday we actually passed it around on a tricky surface I thought.

Like you say Formic one only needed "an alert forward to deflect it home" so it was unlikely to ever end up in the net given the Marlow No 9 spent the entire night moaning, assisting the officials with advice as and when they did or didn't need it and generally doing anything he could other than play football, which I guess was because he was far better at all the above than he was ever likely to be at playing, the only shock was when he went off it wasn't him with took the mic to announce his departure, though the reason for him being subbed was probably to allow him time to prepare the players after match food, jack of all trades and all that.
One area we struggled was out wide in not getting past defenders, the better option may have been to pass to overlapping players as running with the ball was not easy, Dave Albone summed it up well during the game, it was a bit like Histon, looked ok with a decent covering of grass but sadly under that was a bloody awful bumpy surface.
Brownie

Post by Brownie »

Well if the was any debate about the penalty it's now been cleared up, just watched the highlights and the didn't appear to be a single Marlow player appeal for it when he fell over, they only got excited when a free kick was given as his initial flop forward was inside the area (I think) hard to tell with no lines.
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

How did Bunts play last night? From the games I've seen in the past year I don't think he'd be in my preferred midfield pairing. Farrell is an absolute must in this team for me, alongside Curtis/Bell-Toxtle.
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 1273
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Now if we could get the Radio Diamonds commentator to sit besides the cameraman at all Diamonds matches then commentary on the action would automatically be there. :good: