[ Sat 25th Feb ] v Basford Utd, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pytchleydiamond78

Re: [ Sat 25th Feb ] v Basford Utd, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

Post by Pytchleydiamond78 »

Things need to be looked at very quickly if we are to achieve what surely must have been our pre season target of the play offs. The complete lack of in game management both from the staff and the players is very worrying! There does not appear to be one player who wants to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and get us back on track during a game. Against Spalding, when things got tough, you couldn't hear one of our players...not one! Where are the leaders? Where are the players who are "experienced" to help change the course of a game when its not going the way it should? The management are no better either. How much longer can a like for like substitutions carry on for?? Admittedly, there are times when like for like is needed....but not ALL of the time! The only time we ever seem to change the formation or tactics in a game is if we have a player sent off.
We have a huge week coming up, a season changer, and i agree with Curly that a minimum of 4 points is required. I won't be holding my breath though!
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

fentiger79 wrote: The 433 formation is awful but we have never sorted the winger shortage to allow us to play 442 at this level.
We've got a squad that is built to play 4-3-3 and I'd argue should be capable of playing 4-3-3 well. On this I'm happy for us to continue to play 4-3-3. The issues for me lie elsewhere. If players can't retain the ball, put simple passes together and have a tendency to go route one far too often, it doesn't matter what formation is played if the style of play is predictable and basic errors are made.
Last edited by Mad Dog on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Curly wrote: The lack of leadership from the dugouts in that situation was staggering. When the management team are stood having their mothers meetings in the dugout what are they talking about as it's clearly not tactics or substitutions, making a triple sub and keeping the same shape made no sense whatsoever.
I'm just quoting this part of your post as a talking point and not getting at yourself for raising it, but I suppose the question is if you get rid of them who do you bring in? Or is worth bring in someone in help them get through this? In the latter case it allows Peaksy and Lamb to continue to develop as managers, but it allows fresh ideas and a new perspective to help try and improve things.
Curly
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Curly »

Mad Dog wrote:
Curly wrote: The lack of leadership from the dugouts in that situation was staggering. When the management team are stood having their mothers meetings in the dugout what are they talking about as it's clearly not tactics or substitutions, making a triple sub and keeping the same shape made no sense whatsoever.
I'm just quoting this part of your post as a talking point and not getting at yourself for raising it, but I suppose the question is if you get rid of them who do you bring in? Or is worth bring in someone in help them get through this? In the latter case it allows Peaksy and Lamb to continue to develop as managers, but it allows fresh ideas and a new perspective to help try and improve things.
Thing is in my head I have a couple of people that I would approach, one of which is currently out of management.

I'd like to make it very clear that I have a lot of time for all of the current management team and would much prefer if they learnt from their mistakes rather than carrying on doing the same things. But Imo for the last 12 months barring a few notables we haven't been good enough and it needs addressing
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Curly wrote:
Thing is in my head I have a couple of people that I would approach, one of which is currently out of management.

I'd like to make it very clear that I have a lot of time for all of the current management team and would much prefer if they learnt from their mistakes rather than carrying on doing the same things. But Imo for the last 12 months barring a few notables we haven't been good enough and it needs addressing
I agree with this

I'm sure we would all agree that they have done a good job overall, however I do believe a change for next season with the ground move to be a positive move by the board. For a long time I like others have been thinking of one name who is currently out of management and ticks every single box who has been seen at some of our games and I bet he would accept the job in a heartbeat. I believe we need to approach him before he goes elsewhere!!
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

Jon is being linked heavily with K*ttering as well!
Curly
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Curly »

[quote="Pressman"]Jon is being linked heavily with K*ttering as well![/quote

He is a rarity as someone who is fairly popular with both sets of supporters.
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

You are right about that. It's just a shame that such a highly qualified coach who did great things at Brackley hasn't gone on to bigger things but Jon's time will come!

As to Andy, I am still very confident that he'll sort this blip out and I see no reason why we can't make the play offs and indeed gain promotion.
Three Nips
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Three Nips »

Pressman wrote: I see no reason why we can't make the play offs and indeed gain promotion.
I take it you haven't been to many matches this season then!
Everywhere we go....
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

Reality is, we've looked poor for over a year now. This season we've been caught out on our weaknesses so many times and, as proven yesterday, done absolutely nothing about it. We still haven't replaced Nic Evangelinos or even Shawn Richards yet! Poor squad management really. The coaching squad also seems very hesitant to make any changes - anyone could see we needed more than just a personnel change yesterday after just 15 minutes but they left it until 60/70ish minutes to make 3 like-for-like substitutions when it was too late to do anything. The unbeaten run definitely covered over a few obvious flaws in our game that just haven't been sorted out yet.