Saturday at Oxford

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
godber

Saturday at Oxford

Post by godber »

I aint looked forward this much to a game for ages,mainly as I think we could gt something out of this game.

But whats everyones feeling,do you think the game will go ahead or will we be left with nothing to do on Saturday?

Its just started raining alittle near me and snow is going slushy,and meant to be getting warmer tomorrow and xmas day,so hopefully I will be in Oxford Saturday instead of enjoying a pointless but fun family get together (Tho football is more fun ;) ) and watch that lads on Soccer Saturday slagging of City :lol:

Whats your feelings?
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Re: Saturday at Oxford

Post by Olly »

It'll go ahead, the weather is getting better and yeah I can't wait for it either, firstly because it's going to be fantastic seeing our team play in front of a five figure crowd for the first time in what must be 5 years making for a fantastic atmosphere (even better if we can take 500) and secondly because I'm looking forward to breaking Oxford's unbeaten home record like we did 3 years ago :D
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Unfortunately i feeling confident, never good, as i always end up disappointed! I think there are points to be won from this game. A point would make my christmas tbh!
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Luton have called off their Boxing Day game already. They don't seem to have tried very hard to get the game on, given it's already above freezing in Bedfordshire, and not expected to drop below again for several days - so if they cleared the snow off the pitch it might have a chance of thawing. Perhaps it's difficult to get trailers into their ground to take the snow away, and they don't fancy dumping it in the corners of the away seating area, which wouldn't be needed when Histon are the visitors.
OsanoIsKing

Post by OsanoIsKing »

I can only see 250-300 going i'm afraid. Prices, weather and family commitments are just a few reasons why people will stay away. They've sold 10,000 tickets I think I read, picked my ticket up from the ticket office yesterday but not sure how many we've sold so far.

I'll take a draw but can see Oxford winning 3-1, our goal coming from O'Connor.
rushdenman

Post by rushdenman »

Formic wrote:Luton have called off their Boxing Day game already. They don't seem to have tried very hard to get the game on, given it's already above freezing in Bedfordshire, and not expected to drop below again for several days - so if they cleared the snow off the pitch it might have a chance of thawing. Perhaps it's difficult to get trailers into their ground to take the snow away, and they don't fancy dumping it in the corners of the away seating area, which wouldn't be needed when Histon are the visitors.
Seems a very odd decision (do Luton have injury problems?).

Surely they needn't have made the decision until Saturday morning given the relatively short distance Histon have to travel.
KGB

Post by KGB »

rushdenman wrote:
Formic wrote:Luton have called off their Boxing Day game already. They don't seem to have tried very hard to get the game on, given it's already above freezing in Bedfordshire, and not expected to drop below again for several days - so if they cleared the snow off the pitch it might have a chance of thawing. Perhaps it's difficult to get trailers into their ground to take the snow away, and they don't fancy dumping it in the corners of the away seating area, which wouldn't be needed when Histon are the visitors.
Seems a very odd decision (do Luton have injury problems?).

Surely they needn't have made the decision until Saturday morning given the relatively short distance Histon have to travel.
If you read the statement on the luton site
( http://www.lutontown.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 84,00.html ) you can see why, if the paths around the ground are as bad as the ones in Rushden, I could see why the police didnt want the game going on.

I would be supprised if more than 150 diamonds fans make the journey in this weather,and the fact we have never really taken many fans anywhere on a Boxing Day before.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

That statement would make sense if the game was to be played today, or even tomorrow, but the paths are clearing all the time, especially after the rain we had last night - the street in Bedfordshire I live in isn't gritted, and was dodgy for a day or two, but now the thaw has set in it's much better.

It's quite ironic they are concerned about the issue if the car parks are unavailable, since very few apart from the "corporates" can use them, and most people have to walk to the ground anyway.

I wonder if they employ the same people that they employ at Luton Airport to make decisions on safety, and who seem to shut that airport far more often than equivalent airports.