Biggest Mistake of the season soo far

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
srusrdfc

Re: Biggest Mistake of the season soo far

Post by srusrdfc »

I would personaly profer to have Dale Roberts in goal i think i makes less mistakes than Nathan Abbey did and his kicks are alot better also the defence profer Dale in goal and there more condifent with him there. Dale also talks to the defence better and they pass it back to him more which means less pressure on the defence.
rushdenman

Post by rushdenman »

srusrdfc wrote:Dale also talks to the defence better and they pass it back to him more which means less pressure on the defence.
Perhaps that's not such a good thing after last night ;)
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

I have to say i agree with AndyKirkup. I dont think the gap is anywhere near as much as ten times, i would say the difference between the two is very close with Abbey being slightly just the better keeper. I also agree that in an ideal world wwe would have two Gk's who are both capable of challening for first team places, which i dont think Day is ready for yet. Unfortunately this is not an ideal world, and we can only afford one from Abbey or Dale. As a result we should go for the GK who has the potential to improve and make us more money, than just Abbey who will only get worse, imo, as he is getting older. Abbey is a good keeper, but if Dale develops, which he is more likely to with first team football, then he can be even better than Abbey is, was or will be.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

rushdenman wrote:
srusrdfc wrote:Dale also talks to the defence better and they pass it back to him more which means less pressure on the defence.
Perhaps that's not such a good thing after last night ;)
It's quite difficult to describe the own goal last night - it wasn't the traditional back-pass that eludes the goalie, as both Downer and Roberts were close together, and the ball crept into the net from almost on the edge of the area. Either way it was partly a communication issue, but it was a tricky evening for defenders and keeper, as there were several instances when Dale came out of his area to claim a ball that looked clearly his, only for it to hold up on the boggy pitch, resulting in a number of hasty clearances to touch, none of which would have helped to improve confidence.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I didn't have any faith in Abbey from the moment he let the goal in on his debut against AFC Wimbledon.
He wasn't given the nickname 'Calamity' at previous clubs for nothing.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Trek wrote:I didn't have any faith in Abbey from the moment he let the goal in on his debut against AFC Wimbledon.
He wasn't given the nickname 'Calamity' at previous clubs for nothing.
Abbey's debut was actually the 1-0 win over Mansfield, and he was voted Man of the Match!

I also think there is very little between Dale and Abbey. Dale hasn't been as good this season as he was last, and is prone to making silly errors often down to a lack of communication or concentration. Abbey however, seems more prone to making massive howlers such as for the goals against AFCW and Brighton, and his miskick at Luton which they should have scored from, as well as a couple of stupid errors at Cambridge.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Drunken Debanker
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Drunken Debanker »

Dale has done more then enough in his time here to prove he is one of the best keepers in non league football. He is alot better then jamie young who is now playing in the football league and must be doing something right to be recognised by England C. He is a great keeper and a great lad and i hope he is our number one for a number of seasons yet.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We'll Drink Some Beer
And We'll Drink Some More
Cuz We Are The Rushden Boys On Tour.
srusrdfc

Post by srusrdfc »

im happy with dale and i think he can go forward with the club and be are number one for many years to come
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

I don't think we could afford to keep both. Simple really. Keep the one that is contracted to you! He's on a week to week at K*ttering isn't he? If so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower L2 club looking for a 'keeper to sign him.

He made better saves than Dale makes, but worse mistakes. Dale makes smaller mistakes more frequently, but you are never concerned that he is going to make an absolute howler (except his home debut! (vs FGR IIRC)). Abbey could win you games or cost you them. Dale is more consistent and will improve, hopefully cutting out errors etc.